Broken Wheel Nuts

This week I was suspended from work. Basically my normal lorry went in for its inspection. A few days later I was suspended for a wheel nut that had gone missing (later found to be snapped). That morning I did my defect checks it a yard with cameras, like I do everyday.

All the remaining wheel nuts on the wheel was loosing when it was found before the service, obviously taking the tension from the broken nut. I tipped that morning at a tip with massive pot wholes, I still went slow but still rocked the wagon from side to side. Could this be a reason for the snapped nut?

Basically I’ve got a final written and have to pay for the damaged hub. Could anyone point me in the right direction of a website or similar with information on such subject.

Cheers all.

Seems a bit harsh if there is as you say CCTV evidence you did your checks.

A few points, was it the nut itself that failed, the threads, or the stud?

I have in my life (very rarely) seen a nut break (crack or split), this only ever happens due to a manufacturing defect.

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … -lives.pdf
Makes interesting reading, particularly the last bullet point under care of wheels on page 3

How are your checks conducted? Are the firms checking and processes for remedial action adequate?

If not you may have a case for unfair dismissal should it come to that, I’ll leave you to read and ponder if you should be taking up any shortcomings with your firm / boss.

jonowag:
This week I was suspended from work. Basically my normal lorry went in for its inspection. A few days later I was suspended for a wheel nut that had gone missing (later found to be snapped). That morning I did my defect checks it a yard with cameras, like I do everyday.

All the remaining wheel nuts on the wheel was loosing when it was found before the service, obviously taking the tension from the broken nut. I tipped that morning at a tip with massive pot wholes, I still went slow but still rocked the wagon from side to side. Could this be a reason for the snapped nut?

Basically I’ve got a final written and have to pay for the damaged hub. Could anyone point me in the right direction of a website or similar with information on such subject.

Cheers all.

You shouldn’t be paying for the damaged hub. Firstly they are not allowed to deduct it from your wages without agreement from you or as agreed in your contract…
acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4125

Further, they would have to prove it was down to your negligence for them to ask you to pay for it. Seeing as they have already done this it would be interesting to know what the wording of your final written says ?

I used to drive an old 8 wheeler skip lorry which ocassionally used to snap a stud on one of the drive axles , initially It was blamed on me hitting the side of the weigh bridge where I was tipping :neutral_face: but I pointed out that wasn’t possible as it was only 6" high side to the weighbridge .
In the end it was blamed on a faulty batch of studs as it happened a few times .

I fail to see how loosing one nut or stud would require a new hub ■■
I don’t see how they can take the cost off you unless it’s in your contract but then again many employers seem to think they can do what they like …