Cliff Warby

It is with great sadness I have to tell you that Cliff Warby passed away yesterday, one of the TruckNet originals, he was definitely a character. We disagreed on many things but remained good mates, He at one time was a regular contributor to Truck & Driver and as one of the former T&D folks wrote he was a “proper geezer” never afraid to take risks he spent a good number of years as an owner driver in the states and was for quite a time the moderator on here of the ex-pats forum, not sure what gave him the most problems :slight_smile: One of the best memories of my life is going on a two week road trip around the Southern US states with him, - too many adventures and tales of mischief in just 14 days. He will be greatly missed

That Southern States sounds amazing, which ones did you transit through ?

Tarmaceater:
That Southern States sounds amazing, which ones did you transit through ?

Started in Georgia went through Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois and ended at the Mid America Truck show in Louisville Kentucky, meeting up with UK TruckNet and USA TruckNet friends for 4 days.

What an amazing experience, I used to live in Cooper City a conurbation spilling out from Fort Lauderdale, and on the tree plantation where I worked, I would look with envy of the trucks loading to California, New York up the I 95 interstate, Canada and Mexico with trees for shopping malls .
The only truck I saw when living on a dairy farm in Michigan was the milk tanker.
Did you used to work for Murfits ? And did you witness fighting between their drivers?

Tarmaceater:
Did you used to work for Murfits ? And did you witness fighting between their drivers?

Yes and no, subject been covered many times on here- never saw any bother apart from a handbags at dawn episode or two… however we loved the reputation and played on it :stuck_out_tongue:

Rikki-UK:

Tarmaceater:

Yes and no, subject been covered many times on here- never saw any bother apart from a handbags at dawn episode or two… however we loved the reputation and played on it :stuck_out_tongue:

He’s been told on more than one occasion not just by myself but others on the forum.
He’s the forums biggest fantasist and listens to the other fantasists in RDC waiting rooms and then repeats on here what he’s overheard.
Only time he’s seen a ferry is in picture form on the internet.

Rikki, was this the show that Bob won a trip to?

Was so sad to read this remember meeting him here in the UK many years ago and defo a character with a big heart

I would say he was a bit of an armadillo hard on the outside soft on the inside

RIP driver

Wheel Nut:
Rikki, was this the show that Bob won a trip to?

I think this was the year after Bob went over, the year Bob went I flew straight to Louisville

I passed Cliff on my way back from LA to Atlanta around 1999. Wow, about 22 years ago.
Cliff was working for M&S carriers at that time. I new him through T&D at the time, and noticed the Union Jack tag on his tractor. Used to run into him regularly on Interstate 10 on Friday nights heading home, Cliff to Dallas Ga, me to Orlando Fl.
RIP Cliff.

Havnt been on here for ages…thanks to facebook…lol…so was sad to read about Cliff ( r.i.p. )…yes met him when we were in America for the Truck show…the greatest I have ever attended btw.

Paul John:
M&S carriers

I remember…

Seeing the adverts for UK drivers in T&D magazine all those years ago.

M&S Carriers is now Swift I believe.

It’s very sad to hear of Cliff’s passing. Way back in 2001 I stayed at Cliff & Lori’s house in Dallas GA, before travelling north to Indiana, where I’d hoped to get a driving job. Unfortunately, no doubt like many others at the time, I didn’t have any close relatives in the US, just an aunt and two cousins, so although the company I went to see were willing to take me on, a green card was not forthcoming.
Cliff was a really nice guy, even though first appearances may have told you otherwise. Although nowadays I’m a desk jockey, I still keep this photo of Cliff’s first truck as an owner driver on my office wall. R.I.P Cliff.

I remember meeting him in Louisville…a great guy, and a great trip too…thanks to Rikki.was one of my lifes great experiences…god bless Cliff and may he r.i.p.

I remember meeting him in Louisville…a great guy, and a great trip too…thanks to Rikki.was one of my lifes great experiences…god bless Cliff and may he r.i.p.