Driving in France - French ID on British CE license

Hi all. Newbie to forum, but have spent last couple of days trying to find anything to help me. Loads of really interesting stuff here, but not that answers a specific issue for me, so here goes…

I am interested in driving in France, FROM France. Have usual UK class 1 licenses, BUT, am dual nationality British/French, and parents currently living in France near Fréjus on south coast, with whom I would stay. I have French ID card. I currently live in UK, or rather, always have, but have spent plenty of time over there with family over 50 years or so. I am just interested in doing some driving over there, opportunity to spend some extended time with the folks while I can.

I was about to write to a few agencies round Nice/Antibes/Les Arcs etc., but thought I would poke my nose in here first and see if someone could advise. I know things may well change from beginning of next year with Brexit, but I’m only talking about a couple of months on a CDD contract or something similar.

Cheers.

WellTruckMe!:
Hi all. Newbie to forum, but have spent last couple of days trying to find anything to help me. Loads of really interesting stuff here, but not that answers a specific issue for me, so here goes…

I am interested in driving in France, FROM France. Have usual UK class 1 licenses, BUT, am dual nationality British/French, and parents currently living in France near Fréjus on south coast, with whom I would stay. I have French ID card. I currently live in UK, or rather, always have, but have spent plenty of time over there with family over 50 years or so. I am just interested in doing some driving over there, opportunity to spend some extended time with the folks while I can.

I was about to write to a few agencies round Nice/Antibes/Les Arcs etc., but thought I would poke my nose in here first and see if someone could advise. I know things may well change from beginning of next year with Brexit, but I’m only talking about a couple of months on a CDD contract or something similar.

Cheers.

Brexit is as you rightly say a big can of worms.
Do you intend starting there before or after Dec 31st? This may/maynot affect things.
Many French employeers are wary of employing British licence holders. UK truck licences and DCPC are valid, but it is out of the way for them, so some will take the easy option of just saying no, and employ someone else. And if it is only for a few months would their effort be worth it to them?
I wish you luck, and do try, but don`t hold your breath.

And

Franglais:

WellTruckMe!:

Cheers.

Brexit is as you rightly say a big can of worms.
Do you intend starting there before or after Dec 31st? This may/maynot affect things.
Many French employeers are wary of employing British licence holders. UK truck licences and DCPC are valid, but it is out of the way for them, so some will take the easy option of just saying no, and employ someone else. And if it is only for a few months would their effort be worth it to them?
I wish you luck, and do try, but don`t hold your breath.

And

Hi Franglais (what I used to be called! :smiley: ),

Yes, sorry, should have been clearer. I mentioned a couple of months, i.e. before December 31st on the basis of time left before the end of the year, as I thought this would be least complicated. In reality, I’d be happy to work before or after then, but of course no-one has any real idea I think what will happen from the end of the year. I suspect I would have no problem, provided I did all the license conversions.

You mention UK licenses are valid, but are you referring to holders just being able to drive a UK truck owned by a UK company through France, or more specifically what I am proposing (working for a French company driving a French truck on UK licenses)?

French language etc. not a problem, and as I said I have somewhere to stay. Could start immediately, well, as soon as I get there!

Cheers.

Id suggest you put this question in the Euro Drivers section too. A few guys there will have better info than me. Anyway, it is currently legal for a UK licence holder to drive a French reg truck. However, if they have a choice, a company will 99% sure go for the easy option of a French licence holder as this is more familiar to them. Getting a transfer of your UK licences should be straightforward, but the transfer of the DCPC, may not be so. I havent attempted this myself, but know someone who tried to do so with little success. But he now works for a French company, holding a Fr licence, but a UK DCPC and UK passport, although he is now living in France. His company were a bit unsure about all of this at first, but it all worked out for him.

Franglais:
Id suggest you put this question in the Euro Drivers section too. A few guys there will have better info than me. Anyway, it is currently legal for a UK licence holder to drive a French reg truck. However, if they have a choice, a company will 99% sure go for the easy option of a French licence holder as this is more familiar to them. Getting a transfer of your UK licences should be straightforward, but the transfer of the DCPC, may not be so. I havent attempted this myself, but know someone who tried to do so with little success. But he now works for a French company, holding a Fr licence, but a UK DCPC and UK passport, although he is now living in France. His company were a bit unsure about all of this at first, but it all worked out for him.

Thanks Franglais. I’ll post a cross link in the Euro Drivers forum too.