Truck Driving and living in Alberta, Canada

Hi all,
I’m a Brit and have been living and working, initially as a truck driver and latterly as as transport trainer, in Alberta Canada for nearly 12 years now. I have recently joined this forum and while reading the posts I get the impression that people are feeling the route to driving and living in Canada has been closed or is impossible.

I can tell everybody that prior to COVID-19 companies had the ongoing problem of finding enough class 1 truck drivers to hire. Once this pandemic is under control and the transport industry can get back on track, there will again be the same problem for the transport industry, the shortage of suitable drivers hasn’t gone away. With that said, certainly in Western Canada, the economy has slowed down and big trucking companies are reluctant to invest in paying to bring drivers over to Canada via sponsorship.

There are, however, still routes that a person can use to come to Canada to live and work. For myself and my family, it has been the best decision we ever made!
Just a last point to make, I have found that the standard of ability of British truck drivers in general is very much appreciated here.
Just my tuppence worth!
Cheers

Yes thanks for this and trucking in canada is something to be considered but at 58 probably missed the boat now lol. And they would want younger chaps.

Tony101@:
Yes thanks for this and trucking in canada is something to be considered but at 58 probably missed the boat now lol. And they would want younger chaps.

Hi Tony101,
There isn’t really an upper age limit if you are prepared to put the time and money into getting here. It mainly depends on how much experience you can show. I was 51 when we came over. A lot of trucking companies are not sponsoring (ie paying) to bring drivers over due to the cost mainly but there are ways individuals can do it.

Cheers

jerryb:

Tony101@:

Hi Tony101,
There isn’t really an upper age limit if you are prepared to put the time and money into getting here. It mainly depends on how much experience you can show. I was 51 when we came over. A lot of trucking companies are not sponsoring (ie paying) to bring drivers over due to the cost mainly but there are ways individuals can do it.

Cheers

All ears. On how you go about this.

My cynical side is on high alert , hope the Mod is watching this one :wink:

Calgary stampede has been cancelled this year lads

jerryb:
Hi all,
I’m a Brit and have been living and working, initially as a truck driver and latterly as as transport trainer, in Alberta Canada for nearly 12 years now. I have recently joined this forum and while reading the posts I get the impression that people are feeling the route to driving and living in Canada has been closed or is impossible.

I can tell everybody that prior to COVID-19 companies had the ongoing problem of finding enough class 1 truck drivers to hire. Once this pandemic is under control and the transport industry can get back on track, there will again be the same problem for the transport industry, the shortage of suitable drivers hasn’t gone away. With that said, certainly in Western Canada, the economy has slowed down and big trucking companies are reluctant to invest in paying to bring drivers over to Canada via sponsorship.

There are, however, still routes that a person can use to come to Canada to live and work. For myself and my family, it has been the best decision we ever made!
Just a last point to make, I have found that the standard of ability of British truck drivers in general is very much appreciated here.
Just my tuppence worth!
Cheers

If you don’t mind me asking, how did you manage to get on board with a Canadian trucking company and do you know of any in Alberta that would hire foreign workers? I’ve been doing my research and I’m only finding a few companies that will entertain foreign workers around Canada. One being Bison Transport in Winnipeg and another Westcan, although I have read a few horror stories about them. However, my girlfriend is moving from Lethbridge up to Edmonton and I was trying to find something around there. I saw a post from the Canadian government immigration service saying that truck driver visa applications should be processed as a matter of urgency as we are finally seen as critical. At present the only visa i’m eligible for without a job offer is the IEC working holiday visa but with a recognised organisation as I’m 31 and the cut off without an RO in the UK is 30. I even sat the IELTS English test back in February, thinking I was eligible for the Express Entry, what a rude awakening that was when I found out I wasn’t.

Hello Jerry
I have PMd you but dont know if it went as showing in my Outbox. (sorry new on here)
I am trying to get any info on Tag Logistics and a Subsidiary North West Transport, Edmonton.
Any info or thoughts much appreciated.