Canada for under 30's?

Hi guys,

I have read a previous thread mentioning it would be possible to emigrate to Canada from UK through the EIC program for under 30’s. I am curious if it would be possible to get Class 2 work through this program, or if it means taking any kind of job available (retail, warehouse, factory, etc.) to start off with. I have just got my Class 2 and am gaining some experience in the UK but my dream is to go to Canada. From what I’ve read EIC seems like a good route to start with for under 30’s, but I am unsure how it all works! I would work whatever jobs until I am able to do the training for Class 1 in Canada or what? Can anyone shed some light on this, please? Thanks

You can choose what you do on IEC, it’s really just an open work permit.

Your problem is your UK licence is no use here, you have to retake your test. It’s very easy although some provinces have now put additional requirements on hours of training that will make it expensive so choose a province still using old rules to test out in.

Theres no real call for class 2. Maybe in the bigger cities theres a little bit of local p&d stuff but that’s a very limited market youd be lucky to break into. You will certainly need class 1 to have any realistic chance of working here, but if you could be bothered to get yourself licenced you’d have no problem getting a job.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

dunchues:
You can choose what you do on IEC, it’s really just an open work permit.

Your problem is your UK licence is no use here, you have to retake your test. It’s very easy although some provinces have now put additional requirements on hours of training that will make it expensive so choose a province still using old rules to test out in.

Theres no real call for class 2. Maybe in the bigger cities theres a little bit of local p&d stuff but that’s a very limited market youd be lucky to break into. You will certainly need class 1 to have any realistic chance of working here, but if you could be bothered to get yourself licenced you’d have no problem getting a job.

Just to clarify, you are suggesting to get Class 1 licence in UK to give me a chance for a job out there, or are you saying to get out there with any kind of job then do my Class 1 training out there? I know I will have to do the training out there regardless.

You should get class 1 in UK. I only know about the maritime provinces but here it is simple and cheap to take just the test again and all you have to learn is the antique manual gearbox they use here.

The longer you’ve held a commercial licence the more choice of jobs you’ll have too.

Thanks very much. Going to look into it a lot more!

Be aware that the new minimum entry level training MELT) requirements came into existence this year which now means that the driving test and training takes several weeks and costs around $10,000 or thereabouts.
This is compulsory by law and required in the Western provinces and Ontario. The Maritime provinces have not got their versions of the scheme in place as yet but they are committed to do so by the Federal government so it is only a matter of time.

wire:
Be aware that the new minimum entry level training MELT) requirements came into existence this year which now means that the driving test and training takes several weeks and costs around $10,000 or thereabouts.
This is compulsory by law and required in the Western provinces and Ontario. The Maritime provinces have not got their versions of the scheme in place as yet but they are committed to do so by the Federal government so it is only a matter of time.

Thanks for the info! Why is it so expensive? Surely that must dissuade a lot of people from becoming truckers out there… I thought they needed truckers :neutral_face:

It is so expensive because the course is required to be a minimum 120 something hours long.
It surely does put people off without a doubt although many Canadian citizens can get government loans or grants to help with funding to one extent or another depending on individual circumstances. This is not available to people from outside of Canada of course.
To understand why any of this legislation has been created look up the Humboldt, SK tragedy on the internet.
The only good part of all this is that a CDL driving license, by virtue of being harded to obtain, also becomes more valuable although that is small consolation to the person who is yet to obtain it.

Okay thanks Wire. I will look into the incident. The small consolation is a good way to look at it! Gotta spend money to make money I guess…