Humboldt

Few weeks go by in the UK without the main TNUK board seeing condolences expressed regarding a fatal incident on our roads. I cannot be the only reader to have been horrified by the tragedy which has befallen the small town of Humboldt in Saskatchewan - a Province with which I have long had family ties.

So from the UK, we are thinking of you.

Thank you, it’s utterly tragic. Saskatchewan, and Canada are coming together in support with strong arms and heavy hearts. So so sad.

Adesh Deol Trucking :unamused: have started a new company from the same operating center using the same drivers , despite the denials of Co Directors , it’s good news that in this instance the relevant authorities are one step in front of them , the scumbags will have their day in court no matter how much they try to evade the consequences .

flat to the mat:
Adesh Deol Trucking :unamused: have started a new company from the same operating center using the same drivers , despite the denials of Co Directors , it’s good news that in this instance the relevant authorities are one step in front of them , the scumbags will have their day in court no matter how much they try to evade the consequences .

Yep, agree, and the law should be changed about this practise of being allowed to legally start up a different company before the court case.
The bossman told the news here that it wasn’t his company but it’s registered to the same address as the other one.
I don’t understand why the authorities are taking so long with the investigation, some accidents, you could scratch your head forever and think “how the ■■■■ did that happen” but this one is so obvious what happened for whatever excuse the driver of the B-train has.
He ran the stop sign at a fair pace and the bus/coach t-boned it.

15:00 Calgary time just been on are local news Driver has been arrested by the RCMP Numerous charges of which some are 16 counts of Dangerous operations of a Motor Vehicle causing death 13 counts of Dangerous operations of a Motor Vehicle causing injury

The Calgary truck driver who was charged last week in connection to a deadly crash involving the Humboldt Broncos team bus made his first appearance in a Saskatchewan court on Tuesday.

Jaskirat Sidhu, 29, is charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily injury in the April 6 crash.

The hockey team was on its way to a playoff game in Nipawan when their bus was involved in a collision with a transport truck at a highway intersection. The crash killed 16 people and injured 13 others.

During the three-month investigation, police took over 6000 photographs and used 3D technology to gather evidence from the scene.

Sidhu was not injured in the crash and was arrested in Calgary last Friday.

The truck he was driving belongs to Calgary-based Adesh Deol Trucking Limited.

Sidhu appeared in court in Melfort, Saskatchewan on Tuesday morning and was released on $1000 bail. He faces several conditions and also surrendered his passport.

The case has now been put over to August 21.

The Alberta government is looking at mandatory driver training requirements for commercial trucks and on Tuesday will begin consultations for new safety regulations.

Also today a law suit was filed against the driver, trucking company, bus operators and the RM by one of the parents. Many ways to view this but I’m guessing some blood sucking lawyers are sniffing their next kill.

flat to the mat:
Also today a law suit was filed against the driver, trucking company, bus operators and the RM by one of the parents. Many ways to view this but I’m guessing some blood sucking lawyers are sniffing their next kill.

Was the bus owned by the team or a private company that used that particular bus everytime ?
If owned by the team, does the driver need a class2 or just airbrake to drive it ?
Depending on how much blame is put on the bus driver, I can’t see them getting any joy out of suing the bus company.
Yep, lawyers = leeches.

The way I read it, the guy who ran Adesh Deol Trucking already was a partner in the ‘new’ business he created at his home address after the accident, he said it wasn’t his company because technically it wasn’t, but of course it was in reality, he did this about a week after the accident, you can see where his priorities were, not losing money and business. He then employed his truck into the service of the new company.

The second court date for the Alberta semi driver charged in connection with the Humboldt Broncos bus crash that killed 16 and injured 13 others consisted of a quick telephone call before it was adjourned to October.

Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, 29, was not in Melfort provincial court on Tuesday. His lawyer, Satnam Aujla, instead filed a designation to appear on his behalf. Sidhu is living in Calgary after he was released on $1,000 bail last month.

He is charged with 16 counts of dangerous driving causing death and 13 counts of dangerous driving causing bodily harm after his semi collided with a bus carrying the Humboldt Broncos hockey team on April 6 north of Tisdale.

Aujla requested the adjournment, saying he needs more time to review the large amount of disclosure in the case.

The case is scheduled to be back in court on Oct. 2 for defence election, which involves the accused choosing to have his case heard at either the provincial court level or the Queen’s Bench level. Sidhu has not yet entered any pleas to his charges.

I seriously hope you’ve missed another 0 off that bail figure, although when the figures have been massaged it might be deemed reasonable by some :unamused:

flat to the mat:
I seriously hope you’ve missed another 0 off that bail figure, although when the figures have been massaged it might be deemed reasonable by some :unamused:

Rechecked that figure for you and yes its $1,000 Bail . I,ve read that 1 charge of causing Death with a Motor Vehicle could get you up to 14 yrs, So that’s going to be interesting how much he get ( If found guilty )

When found guilty he’ll get 14 yrs max. Should be deported on release but I can’t see it happening.

I think he was born in Canada, so deporting him will be a challenge.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Anybody else watching the season opener ? Bless all involved .

The owner of a Calgary-based trucking company involved in a deadly crash with the Humboldt Broncos team bus this past April has been charged by the province.

16 people were killed and 13 others injured when a truck from Adesh Deol Trucking and the team’s bus crashed on a rural highway in Saskatchewan on April 6.

Sukhmander Singh, the man who owned the company, is charged with eight violations of provincial and federal safety regulations, including failing to maintain logs for driver’s hours of service, failure to monitor the compliance of a driver under safety regulations, having more than one log for any day and failing to possess a written safety program.

“We’ll be introducing some changes that will significantly enhance safety in the commercial trucking industry. As of March 1, 2019 all drivers will be required to take MELT in order to obtain their Class 1 and Class 2 driver’s licences.”

He says that the Humboldt Broncos crash really sharpened the focus of their work to enhance safety rules.

“The Humboldt crash really brought home to all of us, and this is the same discussion I’ve had with Ministers of Transportation across Western Canada, for all of us it was a real call to action.”

The program will include a certain number of hours of classroom and in-vehicle training and drivers will need to pass an enhanced road test before they can go out on the road.

It’s not just drivers that will be under stricter regulations either. Instructors will also need to be re-trained to deliver and test drivers under the new curriculum.

“Right now, we are working on the standardized curriculum that will be used across the province. It will set out the number of in-class, in-yard and in-vehicle training. This new training will help new commercial drivers develop the skills and experience necessary to safely transport people, goods and services in Alberta and across North America,” Mason said.

Chris Nash, president of the Alberta Motor Transport Association, calls the changes ‘paramount’ to enhancing road safety in Alberta.

“The implementation of mandatory entry-level training will ensure the industry has the fundamental tools to operate on public roadways, establishing a benchmark of required knowledge for commerical drivers and carriers.”

The changes also mean that the province will no longer be offering the temporary safety fitness certificate currently issued to drivers.

Singh is due to appear in court in Calgary on November 9. The maximum penalty he faces is $5,000 per federal offence and up to $2,000 for each provincial offence.

Too little, too late.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

It’s not the training its the regulations of hours…

They can bring up any BS they want until drivers in North America will be allowed to drive the hours they are now - 13h drive straight and 16h days in Canada and 11h drive in US there will be crashes like this and there will be truck in a ditch every hour every day all time like it is now.

It is what it is - the end.

(mistyped 12 sorry, corrected)

*11hrs driving in the US.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

We used to be able to drive 13hrs , have 4 in the sleeper then drive another 13hrs legally and it wasn’t an issue . Driving time wasn’t a factor in this accident , cowboy company , poorly trained driver if legal at all , running bent (fully loaded B train on a banned road) etc etc all contributed to the cause .