British Columbia, Canada

Rather late to the party here but here goes.

I moved to BC four years ago and can’t say I regret it. The caveat here is where I moved to. The nearest Walmart or Canadian tire is 3.5 hours away in summer and up to 5 in winter. There are a couple of grocery stores and a hardware store and one fuel station.

That’s it.

Property here is now getting expensive because of all the talk of new mines opening up but we shall see. Other than that the cost of living is not dissimilar than anywhere else.

And I earn very good money. Very. Good. Money!

Recently I went on a mentor/trainer course in Kamloops (14 hours away in the company pickup to give you an idea of scale). While there I was speaking to one of the main people at the company and she told me that BC will be opening up to TFWs so it’s a possibility. I can’t attest to it very well as I haven’t looked into it but that’s the talk of the higher ups.

Personally I wouldn’t be driving those corridors anymore. It got to be as much a rat race as anywhere else and the overall driving standard has dropped considerably. So many people like the humboldt driver who should never be let loose. It’s telling that we haven’t had a single one from that neck of the woods hired on up here. The requirements for this gig are fairly well set in stone because we run 72300kg on bad roads.

But all in all it’s a potential avenue you might want to look into. Plenty of work around and some good firms looking for good drivers.