Airline problems

Pete S:
I routinely teach split coupling to those who have problems accessing the space or being able to exercise enough pressure without busting themselves. Perfectly acceptable on test provided it’s done correctly.

It’s also what I do as a matter of course.

But, as said, attention to detail is vital.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Probably forgotten by the end of the day Pete. It’s hard enough for newbies just to remember the correct sequence for the conventional method. I would say the key thing to drill into them regardless of which method they opt for is check the trailer brake is on before anything else (after first checking truck handbrake is on of course). We all know once you’ve been doing the job a while no-one bothers with it for conventional coupling/uncoupling unless the company you’re at/work at stipulates it. I’ve nearly come unstuck on a couple of occasions where I’ve gone to hitch up and ended up pushing the trailer round the yard :astonished: , after someone has moved it on the shunt button and not bothered to put the brake back on afterwards. Luckily a flat yard and in an area where no real damage could be done… unless someone happened to be walking behind it at the time :astonished: . Hidden dangers everywhere and easy to get complacent :bulb: .