Nothing doing!

Well fellow newbies, I’ve tried it all. Applying for jobs, chasing various agencies, even approaching hauliers in the hope they would let me double man for free, but alas, not a chunk of good fortune has come my way.

I’ve just sent off another job application in the hope they might just give me a chance.

My latest attempts at getting even a single shift out of the agencies have been met with the, have to give all work to our full timers line

I even offered references just to get the chance to double man, but again my attempts have been met with either silence or ‘thanks for your interest’.

I reckon I’ve got more chance of piloting the airliner to my next holiday! :laughing:

I appreciate times are tough but the occasional shift, just to get some practice would do.

I hope your all doing better then me

Don’t get disheartened, times are tough at the moment and unfortunately they’re going to be tougher for someone with little or no experience. Just keep going round your local hauliers, maybe once or twice a week, even offer to make tea, chat with them and let them see you’re keen. Maybe offer to help out in the yard, because at the moment it’s more about being in the right place at the right time.

I have been doing nothing but agency work since I passed my class 2 on 20th May 08.

Sharing some of my experiences with agencies, may help & certainly won’t harm your chances, but may I ask what Class, 1 or 2?

I’m in the same position myself. Just remember that you have a skill for life and this ecomomic situation will not last forever.

Thanks for the feedback guys. It is difficult keeping a postitive view on this when there is not a lot happening, but like you say, we do have a skill and the economic downturn can’t last forever.

I got my class 2 in July and class 1 in August and haven’t driven anything bigger than a car since I stepped out of the training vehicle with a pass certificate.

Looking back, I didn’t think work for new drivers would be so scarce.

Any tips anyone can give on how to secure that first shift with next to no experience would be greatly appreciated.

I get the impression one of the agencies is waiting on me getting experience elsewhere, before they offer me anything. Is this the norm?

Speed Freak:
Thanks for the feedback guys. It is difficult keeping a postitive view on this when there is not a lot happening, but like you say, we do have a skill and the economic downturn can’t last forever.

I got my class 2 in July and class 1 in August and haven’t driven anything bigger than a car since I stepped out of the training vehicle with a pass certificate.

Looking back, I didn’t think work for new drivers would be so scarce.

Any tips anyone can give on how to secure that first shift with next to no experience would be greatly appreciated.

I get the impression one of the agencies is waiting on me getting experience elsewhere, before they offer me anything. Is this the norm?

Pretty much the norm and par for the course. Some of it is down to insurance and some employers worry about sending untried drivers away with valuable equipment and a load. As I said before;

Just keep going round your local hauliers, maybe once or twice a week, even offer to make tea, chat with them and let them see you’re keen.

Now I know a little bit more about your situation, I will tell you about me as a new pass & what I have learned about agencies. This I hope may help you & others to get your first drive.
I passed my Class 2 test on May 20th 08 (I did not realise it at the time, but the timing was very, very significant) Since then I have done nothing else, but drive for agencies. I am not saying that it has been a breeze, that I have earned loads of money or that I have enjoyed all the work I have done. But I have worked for 25 different companies and have earned enough to live on, and more importantly got experience. The agencies that have used me, now have no hesitation in sending me on any assignment as long as the insurance covers me, because they now have confidence in me as a driver! I think I have only resorted to 7.5 tonne work, on 3 or 4 occasions (one of which was so I could use my newly acquired ADR certificate).
I was told before I took my test that I would struggle to get work due to not having held my licence for 2 years, but I just went for it any way. It is true that some companies have an insurance policy that stipulates that drivers must have held their licence for 2 years and some agencies ONLY have clients with these types of polices, but let me tell you,

‘NOT ALL COMPANIES OR AGENCIES DO!!!’

To date, I have only had my licence 10 months and the 25 companies I have worked for, does not include the ones that I have had to turn down as I was already booked. I am saying this to try to stimulate that enthusiasm & hope, that gave you the drive to go for it in the first place & also to prove to you that there is hope for you to get your foot on the ladder & get a drive through an agency, even in this economic climate.

Now let me tell you what I have learnt about agency work!
I did not realise it at the time, but I passed my test just before the holiday season and this has more significance to you as an inexperienced driver than you will probably realise right now. The tempo of agency work drastically changes during the holiday season, as all of a sudden there are a lot of opportunities for holiday cover. All the agencies (more or less, within a given area) use the same pool of drivers and that pool does not suddenly increase as soon as holiday season starts. This is the time which is best & you are most likely to get a drive, but you must persuade the agencies to register you ready before hand. It is very advantageous for you if the agency has used you without problems on other work, so I would recommend that you try and get on several agencies willing to do van or 7.5 tonne work to get your foot in the door and give them a bit of confidence in you. If any agency is reluctant to register you, because there is not enough work for their regular drivers, remind them that holiday season is not too far away & you want to be on there books ready. This will remind them of when they were ringing round frantically trying to get drivers before they were booked by another agency. I have recently managed to register with new agencies just on the strength of having done my ADR & HIAB, ready for the Holiday season. They know that at peak season traditionally there are times when they are short of drivers & even more so ADR & HIAB drivers!
Obviously agencies like to put forward the best candidate they can for each job, however, they are in it to make money & they can only put forward drivers that are AVAILABLE! During holiday season, agencies regularly run out of drivers & on several occasions, I had to turn down Class 2 work, even as a new pass. If you are available a situation will arise when you will be given a break. They really don’t want other agencies getting the booking before them & if they can, they will give you that break. I have had more than one agency ring me regarding the same job on several occasions!
Try and make yourself as available as possible to the agency, according to your circumstances. They often call in the early hours of the morning needing someone to start ASAP. This can be a plus for you if you are willing and is something they will appreciate if you say you are. If during holiday season you manage to get enough work without there being any problems, the agencies that use you will soon stop looking at you as a new pass, but a driver that’s OK to use. The fact that you have got your Class 1, you should use to your advantage as they may assume you already have class 2 experience. Don’t lie, but if they don’t ask, let them assume. Be positive & confident, as there greatest fear is you cocking up, so if you are not confident, why should they be! I would recommend that you avoid doing significant multi drop until you do have more experience with commercial driving, as some of these jobs can be very pressured & demanding. Say you prefer to do a smaller number of drops over a longer distance. When I started I did not even know how to use a pallet truck, tail lift or how the curtains opened on a curtain side lorry, but I always asked & found someone to help as and when I needed to, on the job (it‘s not rocket science, but sometimes you just need to be shown, but it‘s easy). If you know anybody who has some experience, OK it with them to call them for advice if you get stuck (PM me if your desperate and I’ll give you my number.
I hope that what I have said will have enlightened you enough not to give up hope & that my experiences show that there are many companies that do not have any such stipulations in their insurance policies to exclude you as a new driver. My hope is that you will be sufficiently encouraged to go for it as I did during

‘HOLIDAY SEASON!!!’

Phew! What a great read peebro123 and thanks for the confidence boost!

I will try ringing round the agencies again and check they still have me registered and like you say, remind them holiday season is almost upon us.

I work full time, not driving, and that too may hinder my chances as i’m mostly only available at the weekend but all I can do is keep trying. I don’t mind driving vans and 7.5 tonners, but despite suggesting this I still haven’t been offered any shifts nor missed any calls.

Has ADR and hiab given you that extra edge in gaining work? I’ve already spent best part of 2K on the licences and don’t fancy spending another 200 on CPC later this year, but I could be swayed in chasing ADR or hiab if it might improve my prospects.

Let me know what your view and I will consider my options.

Cheers

Just for your information, last year, for me anyway, the holiday season did not really get going until June!

In my (limited experienced) opinion, as you are not a commercial driver already, you don’t need the added pressure of ADR or HIAB. At the moment at least, I would just focus on getting some simple (not too many drops) drives. One thing that will help is having your Digital Tacho Card (if you do not have one already), as some newer vehicles have them and you can not be considered for those jobs if you don’t have one! It’s a one off fee, of I think £38.00 to DVLA! Also I don’t know how clued up you are on Tacho Regs, but you will need to understand at least the basic rules to comply & work out the best way for you to monitor your driving time each day. A lot of the Regs are very complicated (to me anyway), but only really apply if you are doing quite a lot of driving or duty time, so won’t concern you too much. You will have enough to think about if you are not used to it, just monitoring your driving time, navigating to different places and the simple, but different paperwork of each firm you work for, together with driving your vehicle safely. It’s not difficult, but if your like me, you will want to do your best & will probably try too hard at first. As you become more familiar & experienced you will be more confident that your doing it correctly & relax.

ADR is a 5 day course sat in a classroom & cost me £385 + a week off work, (cheap for 7 classes, packages + tanks, compared to others I’d seen). My agencies pay about £1 per hour extra so in my opinion it’s not really viable for you as a part time driver, although it lasts 5 years! I’ve managed to do 30 days work for one firm so far, so at £1 extra per hour have got a chunk of my money back, but not all of it yet.
HIAB cost me £150 & is for life. As I understand it, it is really just a safety certificate that companies require. It is very easy to get, but I have only used it once so far & don’t know a lot about the work, but hope to be doing some shortly.

You mentioned not fancying spending £200 on CPC later this year, but I’m not exactly sure what you were referring to. As I understand it CPC Certificate of Professional Competence (for LGV drivers) comes into force, on 10th Sept 09 & is for new drivers (meaning those who do not have a LGV licence already). Those who have a LGV licence either Class 2 or Class 1, don’t need to do a CPC course for 5 years after that, not until 2014.

This link has some questions & answers with info regarding CPC:

a1hgvdrivingschool.co.uk/index.php/2008

peebro123:
You mentioned not fancying spending £200 on CPC later this year, but I’m not exactly sure what you were referring to. As I understand it CPC Certificate of Professional Competence (for LGV drivers) comes into force, on 10th Sept 09 & is for new drivers (meaning those who do not have a LGV licence already). Those who have a LGV licence either Class 2 or Class 1, don’t need to do a CPC course for 5 years after that, not until 2014.

This link has some questions & answers with info regarding CPC:

a1hgvdrivingschool.co.uk/index.php/2008

This is a very simple explanation for the two types of DRIVER CPC.

There are TWO types of DRIVER CPC.

The INITIAL (to get a C or C1 licence) & the PERIODIC (ongoing) for when you have the C1, C or C+E licence

The INITIAL driver cpc is purely for a C or C1 licence acquisition and is about the same as what is done now but with some senario questions added as an extra theory test and a half hour extra of questions about certain areas of safety which may include physically showing the examiner how to strap, chain, rope a load etc

The PERIODIC driver cpc is to be an ATTENDANCE of 35 hours of training at an approved centre or with an approved trainer and can be done in 5 x 7 hour sessions - the 7 hour sessions can be split into 2 half consecutive days.( 2 x 3.5 hours)

If you have a C1, C or C+E licence on Sept 10 2009 then the 35 hours will need to be done by Sept 2014 to retain your right to drive and get paid for it - it does NOT affect your right to retain your LGV licence.

Those that pass the INITIAL driver cpc after Sept 10 2009 will have to do their PERIODIC driver cpc within 5 years from their pass date - the 5 year expiry date should be on the issued DQC (Driver cpc Qualification Card)

The medical requirements will not change.

The upgrading to a C+E licence will not change from what it is now.

INITIAL

PERIODIC