First Driving Assesment

Got my first driving assessment Tuesday 4th April, for Acumen Distribution in Redditch, just wondering on tips or advice, what to wear etc the person on phone said safety boots, high viz with comfortable trousers

J21my_c:
just wondering on tips or advice

I’ve not been assessed by that company but I have for Müller, Tesco and Hermes (now Evri).

My advice for the assessment is to treat the practical as though you are under test conditions with an examiner sat next to you. I believe safe driving is mainly what they will be looking for. Obey the rules of the highway. Relax into it. Keep both hands on the wheel. Use your mirrors. If you can concentrate on a conversation at the same time, ask questions about the role, company or even what they are expecting from the assessment.

Müller, and Tesco offered me jobs as a new pass after doing their assessment but I opted for something else. Hermes was a perfect drive and the assessor said I passed as we pulled into the yard. I then did something extra and reversed the wagon too far into a bay and the assessor said he has to fail me. He explained why and it made sense.

There’s nothing to it really, just drive well and do not crash the wagon or endanger other road users and you’ll be fine.

Usual interview type stuff, turn up clean, tidy plain polo, work boots combats etc all fine have hiviz, and pair of gloves, remember things like ask them to check your brake lights.

As a new pass they are not going to expect you to know everything, and remember you do not know everything so ask questions and listen to what they say, drive like your test, but if you need to say go over a kerb a bit because of some numpty parking/ in the way etc, just say dont think im getting around here without x going over the kerb…they might say nah just wait for them to bloody shift, or say yeah crack on. they just want to make sure before they hand you keys, you are not going to squash anybody, damaging their gear, company image or cause them issues with calls saying XXXX is a bloody loony

Assesment went well and landed my first class 1full time job, I’ll be transporting carparts for jaguar/landrover no hardball eithier, I back the trailer up and it connects to the track at land-rover and unloads the trailer for me, nice easy 8 hour ■■■■, got offered 12 hours shifts on days and nights but wanted to just get rolling with some nice east work, they do car transporting also and also use 50ft turning trailers so there gonna train me up to use these aswell

Great news! Well done.when do you start?

Wednesday 12th April as land rover shut down on Monday and Tuesday for Easter, induction day on Wednesday so health and safety, tour of the place etc then Thursday/Friday I’ll be with a driver, they are decent with new passes and give them all the time they need kind of thing to get it right and not just give you the keys and say work it out for yourself