Driver facing dash cam

longnails77:
Hi, I had a driver facing dash cam fitted and have been dismissed from my job as I used my phone (not on handsfree) and the company have seen it on the dash cam
I know I have done wrong but my question is - is my company allowed to view the footage on the dash cam if there has not been an incident caused by my mistake? I believe this is an invasion of my privacy as the was no prompt for them to view footage

No sympathy whatsoever!

No sympathy whatsoever!

I wasn’t asking for sympathy but thanks

No sympathy whatsoever!

I wasn’t asking for sympathy but thanks

My pleasure, I hope they send the footage to the police and the traffic commissioner as well.

You knew you had a camera facing you and used your phone anyway.

You need a Darwin award.

longnails77:
Hi, I had a driver facing dash cam fitted and have been dismissed from my job as I used my phone (not on handsfree) and the company have seen it on the dash cam
I know I have done wrong but my question is - is my company allowed to view the footage on the dash cam if there has not been an incident caused by my mistake? I believe this is an invasion of my privacy as the was no prompt for them to view footage

I’m not 100% sure what the law says about this but I don’t really see how it can be an invasion of privacy when you’re in the company’s vehicle and you knew about the camera.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

Hi
Company are allowed to see what there’s driver are doing when they are on road. But if we don’t like it then we need to find another employer in good time. I agreed with you they should not see what we are doing when we are on road and nothing has happened, but there is no restrictions for an employer.
I will simply find another employer

longnails77:
but my question is - is my company allowed to view the footage on the dash cam if there has not been an incident caused by my mistake? I believe this is an invasion of my privacy as the was no prompt for them to view footage

There has been an incident, you did make a mistake & your privacy was invaded the very moment the cam went live.

If this isn’t a troll post, you would be well advised to give up driving LGV as a vocation.

When you’re during the company veh, you’re their ambassador, in the public view. How is that infringing privacy. You know and knew the rules. It’s was a gamble and on this occasion it was tails rather than heads

Does anyone really think that driver facing cameras are only viewed in the event of an incident?
I know companies say this, but does anyone really believe that, I certainly never have…

longnails77:
I know I have done wrong

okay many have voiced their views on it, however will just drop the link below, not even a link to the video of the guy that killed 3 people on the A1 who got years for it…this is the real danger of it for YOU personally…

Possible outcome of just holding a mobile whilst driving.

Something to pass the time whilst just taking the lesson and moving on… any attempt to challenge their actions, leads to nothing of advantage for you, just what it is…

Regardless of cab cameras, you will find now, other road users, recording it too, then posting it to your companies facebook or twitter ranting and quite rightly so, the posts are soon removed and along with the driver. This job we do is scrutinised by all, Company, police, other road users, pedestrians… the general public love to film a driver, be the situation their fault or not… it ■■■■■ but reality…

put the phone out of reach in the cab, then no auto actions of picking it up (some hear it ring and naturally grab it out of habit I guess, no cameras in their car), take 10 minutes to learn to use a decent headset by voice command, and then never an issue again… or risk prison.

for everyone else something to watch whilst waiting to tip lol…

I use Google assistant on my phone. No need to touch it to make or accept calls, send or receive messages. Even controls spotify.

trevorking1964:
Does anyone really think that driver facing cameras are only viewed in the event of an incident?
I know companies say this, but does anyone really believe that, I certainly never have…

Most companies include dip sampling for compliance.

You should ask yourself, I knew there is a camera there pointing inwards and outwards so it’s likely to catch you breaking the law.

I am mindful that you didn’t state that you were actually driving and assume that because you didn’t deny it, you were. As for the privacy matter, the company has the right to lawfully monitor employees* and their behaviour (I am, from when I start, while online, emails, phone calls till I go home). They don’t need permission to review the footage from their own vehicle, they have a responsibility to uphold and frankly I agree with the outcome. They could pass it over to Police also, no ticket option or safer driving courses for HGV/PSV - it goes only one way - Court! points/disqualification/no job.

If you manage to get another job, make sure you learned from it.

*The Investigatory Powers (Interception by Businesses etc. for Monitoring and Record-keeping Purposes) Regulations 2018.