Quitting 7.5 tonne job to pursue Class 2 agency work

Hi! First post, so straight to the question:

I’ve been working a year doing multi-drop deliveries for a well known company in green 7.5 tonne lorries. At the end of last month I passed my Class 2 test with the hope of moving on to a job that doesn’t necessarily involve lugging heavy items on and off your lorry all day to 40+ drops…
However, there’s the Catch 22 that most employers will not take you on if you don’t have experience, and you can’t get experience if you can’t get work…
So do you think the short term pain of quitting my current job to take on jobs through an agency will pay off in the longer term? I am in the lucky position of not having a mortgage or other regular bills to pay.
What would you do if you were me?

Doesn’t your current employer have any Class 2 jobs ?

You have experience by the bucketload from your job. Any employer should grab you. See if you can find a company direct rather than agency but that does depend on your location.

HappyGrecian:
Hi! First post, so straight to the question:

I’ve been working a year doing multi-drop deliveries for a well known company in green 7.5 tonne lorries.

I’m confused. Are the old ones green, but the new ones black?

I would jump ship in your position, you’re not getting a bonus this year so might as well leave.

It’s not a huge step from 7.5 to class 2 so I should think that employers should be accommodating.

Where abouts are you?

Hi

I’m in South Devon so would be looking to work from Torbay, Newton Abbott, Exeter, or Plymouth.

The company I currently work for has a few artics that do the trunking to and from our depot, but apart from one Class 2 vehicle the rest are 7.5 tonners and vans.

Guys on YouTube suggest using an agency to gain Class 2 experience…

I’m feeling slightly nervy about giving up a permanent job, and wonder if my age might hold me back (I’m 56].

Thoughts, suggestions, advice, etc much appreciated.

It’s difficult to answer for someone else. In my case I was with an agency for John Lewis for 6 months when I passed my class 1. I knew I wanted to make the change, similar to you I also had some financial stability so it was a no brainer to stop JL and take agency mostly class 2 and the very odd class 1 until I thankfully landed a full-time class 1 job 2 mths after passing.

Hopefully @driveress could give you some local knowledge?

AO by any chance? I was doing a similar role with Whirlpool, absolutely hated it! Endless days of 12+ hr shifts of lugging washing machines up 5 flights of stairs.

Good luck, you shouldnt have any problems. Theres loads of C2 jobs out there welcoming new drivers, especially if youve already been driving larger than average vehicles.

I went straight from 7.5t to a full time permanent C2 job with no C2 experience and no faffing about with agencies. Its basically exactly the same just a little bit longer, taller, wider, and more rear swing :slight_smile:

The biggest improvement Ive noticed so far is my multidrop has gone from 20-30 drops a day in a 7.5 to 5-6 a day in a C2, a bit more relaxing and a lot less handballing too! Just drop off a pallet outside Mr Patel’s corner shop and let them deal with it.

Still applying for Class 1 jobs, at least now I can put down some “proper” HGV experience on a CV as nobody seems to take 7.5t HGVs seriously :stuck_out_tongue:

I would stick with the permanent job but keep applying for any class 2 jobs that you fancy, sooner or later you will get one, and maybe do every other Saturday class 2 for an agency if your hours allow, to tick the experience box.