Age old question

Hi all just passed my class 1 I’m from leicester I’ve been driving class 2 for about 5 years now but thought I’d give the bigger ones a go but I can’t find anywhere that takes new passes around leicester or even east mids I already work full time mon - fri on class 2 so just looking for the occasional weekend work if possible to get me confident any help would be appreciated if anyone knows where to start to find jobs around leicester

Also would my employer know if I do the occasional Saturday somewhere else thats has class 1 lorry’s

YoungJnr:
Hi all just passed my class 1 I’m from leicester I’ve been driving class 2 for about 5 years now but thought I’d give the bigger ones a go but I can’t find anywhere that takes new passes around leicester or even east mids I already work full time mon - fri on class 2 so just looking for the occasional weekend work if possible to get me confident any help would be appreciated if anyone knows where to start to find jobs around leicester

Also would my employer know if I do the occasional Saturday somewhere else thats has class 1 lorry’s

You can only work a 6 day week once every two weeks.

I can’t imagine many depots would want to take on a new pass if they are rarely going to see you.

When I started on Class 1, I went out with the driver/trainer for the first five days and that was Monday to Friday. I doubt they would have been interested in me if I had severely restricted my availability.

I suggest you apply for full-time jobs, and get ready to hand in your notice if offered one. Contrary to popular belief, most depots that will accept new passes via agency will also accept new passes direct. In fact, it’s more likely that a depot will accept a new pass direct than via an agency.

Yeah never looked at it this way so my understanding is that there are no class 1 jobs that chuck the keys at you and your on your way do they all require an assessment for new passes with my class 2 they through me into the deep end in a class two with a massive over hang

I was thinking to try get started with a agency but even finding that difficult

YoungJnr:
Yeah never looked at it this way so my understanding is that there are no class 1 jobs that chuck the keys at you and your on your way do they all require an assessment for new passes with my class 2 they through me into the deep end in a class two with a massive over hang

You will probably find that most depots will only take on new passes if they are short of drivers, ie. when there aren’t enough experienced drivers applying for the jobs…and that doesn’t happen very often.

Class 1 are regularly assessed, perhaps every year. And they never give you the keys before you’ve passed an assessment. Certainly with the big players.

Unless you’ve got previous experience of shunting, most new passes can’t reverse so when the assessor tells you to blind side the trailer between two closely parked trailers you will fail the assessment.

June and July is probably the best time of year to get a job as a new pass, as that’s when the regular drivers take their summer holidays so many depots then become short of drivers. However, unlike just after Covid, there’s no longer a shortage of drivers.

When you do get your big break, it will probably be at a depot that is not popular with experienced drivers, due to reasons such as the work being difficult and the pointy shoe brigade in the transport office running the drivers ragged, ie. exhausting 15 hour days.

YoungJnr:

I’m afraid they will know that you’ve been driving for another company as soon as they download your driver card.

That’s sort of the point of having a driver card, so companies, and the DVSA, can check that you’re sticking to the drivers hours rules :wink:

Thanks for the advice I’m starting to realises I won’t realistically get a break for quite sometime which is quite dis heartening be an newly passed driver who just can’t wait to get behind the wheel… it’s hard because I can’t leave my current job and finding a class 1 job that’s nice and easy like my class 2 work seems like a myth

I don’t understand all the negativity.
You’ve got 5 years experience. Don’t be so down on yourself.
I got a job as a new pass i.e. car to artic and there was no assessment drive (thankfully!).
I would look for both, the odd Saturday shift or full time on class 1 and see what comes up.
Good luck! [emoji106]

I went straight into class 1 after passing my test. The following week.
Still there 2.5 years later.
Really grateful to them for their faith in me and teaching me the job.
The breaks are out there…

YoungJnr:

have you tried Cobley’s Transport out of Broughton Astley? well,nr there anyway…opp the Mill on Soar pub.
i believe they may give newbies a chance.

I haven’t tired them but will definitely take a look thank you

Also I’m not trying to be negative it’s just a little disheartening… got bags of experience on class 2 but having only just passed class 1 and all I’m hearing is 6months or more needed to even start but I do feel better now hearing some of you have overcome this and gotten your self through the door

UPDATE so while it is possible to find work as a new pass I didn’t get the job at a general logistics company due to my reversing but of course be a new pass my reversing is non existent at the moment I’ve only ever reversed a trailer about three times lol obviously going forward is no problem… still my search will continue and while I’m here what are some of the best places to work for in Leicestershire preferably mon to fri it could help while looking at for places

Gregory and its various owned companies will all take on new passes, most pallet network running companies will take on new passes, DHL will take on new pass most of the time as well.

Even if they ask for experience, no harm in applying and current job do you deliver/collect from many other companies that run trucks? remember that being nice to the office staff you run in to will very easily open opportunities

Hi mate, I see jobs at xpo or gxo I can’t remember which regularly posted on indeed round the Leicester area, I’ve applied for a couple of them but no joy. It said no experience needed… also keep your chin up, I was in the same boat class 2 for a couple of years.

Took class 1 in Jan and finally just got my first class 1 job 2 weeks ago. Took numerous applications and I was in the same boat I had a full time job. But went to the interview and showed willing said I was a new pass but had class 2 experience but I was keen and hungry etc etc, rang me back the next day and offered me the job. (There was 60+ applications on indeed) after joining he said the reason he chose me over every one including experienced drivers is that he could see how hungry I was to get into it and learn paired with some common sense ( I remember saying look I know I’m a new pass but if I was ever in doubt I’d get out and look to make sure I don’t hit anything)

Did a week out with one of the drivers on days still ■■■■ at reversing but managed to get everywhere I needed just takes longer. Started tramping yesterday currently on a 3 day run in Cornwall/Devon … you’ll get a break. Just takes time and willing

SquireT:
Gregory and its various owned companies will all take on new passes, most pallet network running companies will take on new passes, DHL will take on new pass most of the time as well.

Even if they ask for experience, no harm in applying and current job do you deliver/collect from many other companies that run trucks? remember that being nice to the office staff you run in to will very easily open opportunities

Thank you mate for the advice gives me a reason to keep my chin up

neon989:
Hi mate, I see jobs at xpo or gxo I can’t remember which regularly posted on indeed round the Leicester area, I’ve applied for a couple of them but no joy. It said no experience needed… also keep your chin up, I was in the same boat class 2 for a couple of years.

Took class 1 in Jan and finally just got my first class 1 job 2 weeks ago. Took numerous applications and I was in the same boat I had a full time job. But went to the interview and showed willing said I was a new pass but had class 2 experience but I was keen and hungry etc etc, rang me back the next day and offered me the job. (There was 60+ applications on indeed) after joining he said the reason he chose me over every one including experienced drivers is that he could see how hungry I was to get into it and learn paired with some common sense ( I remember saying look I know I’m a new pass but if I was ever in doubt I’d get out and look to make sure I don’t hit anything)

Did a week out with one of the drivers on days still [zb] at reversing but managed to get everywhere I needed just takes longer. Started tramping yesterday currently on a 3 day run in Cornwall/Devon … you’ll get a break. Just takes time and willing

Ahh thanks man hearing your story shows I’ve just got to keep looking and show how keen I am…. Hope all is going well in your new class 1 job

YoungJnr:

neon989:

Did a week out with one of the drivers on days still [zb] at reversing but managed to get everywhere I needed just takes longer. Started tramping yesterday currently on a 3 day run in Cornwall/Devon … you’ll get a break. Just takes time and willing

Ahh thanks man hearing your story shows I’ve just got to keep looking and show how keen I am…. Hope all is going well in your new class 1 job

All going well thanks, tons better at reversing than when i first started although still not able to put it about like you see most people in services do! lol. hopefully ill get there one day.

Started on an old truck for a few weeks and just been given a brand spanking new iveco s way with all the mod cons, microwave inverter etc.
Any luck on snagging yourself anything yet? If not then yeah best advice i can give is literally sell yourself with common sense and show that your are really wanting to get into it and its not about the money etc and that you really want to work for the company your applying to.
Youll get one eventually i must have applied for 200+ jobs i got one assesment out of that which i failed at being too slow on coupling/un coupling - i did point out that id get quicker with practice as this was the first time id done it since passing my test.
i can now uncouple and get a new trailer on in sub 15 mins if that. That was with GXO. But someone will eventually take a chance.

I think the job market should start picking up from now as well and if your not in somewhere by xmas im sure youll deffo get one then even if its agency as they will be crying out for drivers even those with no experience that they turn their nose up at all year lol

Just a quick update I now have a full time class 1 job for the past month or so…
enjoying it very much of course reversing is a issue but I’ve when realised when out on the job you literally have no choice but to get it in no matter how long it takes so that’s just something I have to deal with and does get easier each day

I’m still avoiding services because of my fear of not being able to park up between two tight lorry’s I know I could but still and some of the jobs I’ve been on I still wonder how I managed to make some of these difficult reverses so I guess it’s all nerves and you just gotta take your time…

also after driving class 2 for a number of years I’d say the biggest thing that has blew my mind on class 1 is the space I need to turn it around I’ve been to a few places where the yard looks so small and they said go and spin around up there and I’ve thought no way is that gonna happen but it’s true you can turn around in the tightest of places where a class 2 especially long wheel base would be a nightmare now

I understand all those class 1 drivers that used to say to me mines easier to drive than yours lol

With reference to the comment by Neon989 and failing the assessment for being too slow for coupling and uncoupling, it sounds like you were better off not getting the job there as if they want it done too fast that will compromise safety by rushing it.

What was their maximum allocated time allowed to couple up, 4 minutes and if not , you are out the door, P45 in the post for taking 5 minutes.

If you forget something in the process, that’s dangerous, forget the king pin lock then that’s a trailer dropping on its knees on a public road with an invitation for tea and biscuits with the Traffic Commissioner via a nice brown letter in the post, and DVSA will be all over it like a fly on horse manure by attracting attention to the safe working practices of the company that only hires Speedy Gonzales to drive for them, if they are rushing for trailer coupling, what else will they be pushing drivers for?