Age old question

YoungJnr:

neon989:
Hi mate, I see jobs at xpo or gxo I can’t remember which regularly posted on indeed round the Leicester area, I’ve applied for a couple of them but no joy. It said no experience needed… also keep your chin up, I was in the same boat class 2 for a couple of years.

Took class 1 in Jan and finally just got my first class 1 job 2 weeks ago. Took numerous applications and I was in the same boat I had a full time job. But went to the interview and showed willing said I was a new pass but had class 2 experience but I was keen and hungry etc etc, rang me back the next day and offered me the job. (There was 60+ applications on indeed) after joining he said the reason he chose me over every one including experienced drivers is that he could see how hungry I was to get into it and learn paired with some common sense ( I remember saying look I know I’m a new pass but if I was ever in doubt I’d get out and look to make sure I don’t hit anything)

Did a week out with one of the drivers on days still [zb] at reversing but managed to get everywhere I needed just takes longer. Started tramping yesterday currently on a 3 day run in Cornwall/Devon … you’ll get a break. Just takes time and willing

Ahh thanks man hearing your story shows I’ve just got to keep looking and show how keen I am…. Hope all is going well in your new class 1 job

All going well thanks, tons better at reversing than when i first started although still not able to put it about like you see most people in services do! lol. hopefully ill get there one day.

Started on an old truck for a few weeks and just been given a brand spanking new iveco s way with all the mod cons, microwave inverter etc.
Any luck on snagging yourself anything yet? If not then yeah best advice i can give is literally sell yourself with common sense and show that your are really wanting to get into it and its not about the money etc and that you really want to work for the company your applying to.
Youll get one eventually i must have applied for 200+ jobs i got one assesment out of that which i failed at being too slow on coupling/un coupling - i did point out that id get quicker with practice as this was the first time id done it since passing my test.
i can now uncouple and get a new trailer on in sub 15 mins if that. That was with GXO. But someone will eventually take a chance.

I think the job market should start picking up from now as well and if your not in somewhere by xmas im sure youll deffo get one then even if its agency as they will be crying out for drivers even those with no experience that they turn their nose up at all year lol