Test in new area im not familiar with

Hello
I have a test monday, rigid C in Fareham. I have not driven much in that area before and not recently. I am a little worried about spotting signs in time, particularly 7.5 ton limits. I am used to the ones in Portsmouth but no experience with Fareham.
I am going to go out there and have asked the trainer for some tips or possible routes where that may happen, but nothing back yet.
I have an hour drive before hand and will ask then as well.
Are there any apps that show an area and places you can not drive? or a way to filter out certain areas because of limits?
Thanks

Hi,

Take your time and practice absorbing all the info on the road signs in the car when you are driving this weekend and in the hour beforehand.

I don’t know of any apps that do what you want there, but I’d say being in a different area could be an advantage, as you’re not driving in autopilot mode and concentrating more on the signs in front of you.

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on!

Not necessarily a bad thing as you will be driving in real world in unfamiliar areas, you’ll need to be aware of signs to stay out of trouble.

If a road is familiar you tend not to look at the signs so much

It worries me slightly you say you have not driven in that area much and recently. Your training provider should have tried to take you on all possible test routes so you are as prepared as possible for whichever test route the examiner takes you.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

Hello,
Thanks for the responses. I have checked with my trainer and he told me that I would not go to Fareham after all. I am hoping I would go where I have been. I am feeling very negative about it. I have been driving around that area today looking at signs and things. I think my main issue is rushing, no patience. I keep thinking about hesitating and getting caught out. Its the test that is doing it.
Thanks again for the support.
All the best,
Simon

Sounds like you are overthinking things. Try and relax a bit and don’t overthink things especially on your test, by all means think and concentrate but don’t work yourself up by overthinking stuff. Try and relax into it and hopefully all will be well.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simon1138:
Hello,
Thanks for the responses. I have checked with my trainer and he told me that I would not go to Fareham after all. I am hoping I would go where I have been. I am feeling very negative about it. I have been driving around that area today looking at signs and things. I think my main issue is rushing, no patience. I keep thinking about hesitating and getting caught out. Its the test that is doing it.
Thanks again for the support.
All the best,
Simon

Good luck tomorrow buddy - you CAN do it!

How did you get on mate?

Wishing you the best!

Hello,

I failed, third time now.

Your serious faults
Move off – Safety
Your driving faults
Move off – Safety, 3
Clearance, 1
Junctions – Observation, 1
Use of mirrors – Change speed, 1
Use of mirrors – Change direction, 1
Response to signs / signals – Other road users, 1

I felt sick throughout most of the drive. The three hours last week and the hour before the test I had no issue, except for a round about at the end. I rushed it, which is what I do with all roundabouts. Again, its the worry of hesitating. No idea where I was either, new route and some worrying roads. Though nothing came up about my driving in those areas so I imagine I did ok. For the week leading up to the test I was worrying. I don’t know how to stop it. Driving on a lesson is fine. The worry is doing another lesson, then testing and failing again.
Thanks for your support, I appreciate it and read it before the last test as motivation.
All the best,
Simon

Sorry to hear it didn’t work out for you. The worry of the cost of retests is, imo, one of the prime causes of needing a retest! When I headed up Peter Smythe Transport Training, I introduced Pass Protection. This covers the cost of 3 retests (vehicle hire and retest) at a cost of just £395.

The group has expanded to include Chevron at Flint and PJE at Hereford who also offer the same facility.

Residential courses work well and are well proven at all these centres. Available at no extra cost if you live more than 70 miles from the centre.

Hope it works out for you next time,

Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

I’m considering training with Pete Smythe and the title of this thread is a concern I also have. It’s hard enough to negotiate my hometown never mind a new, larger, more congested town or city.
Also, if I was to fail how quickly could I have a retest or would I have to arrange another visit?

ConvoyKid:
I’m considering training with Pete Smythe and the title of this thread is is a concern I also have. It’s hard enough to negotiate my hometown never mind a new, larger, more congested town or city.
Also, if I was to fail how quickly could I have a retest or would I have to arrange another visit?

I live in South Wales and found Peter Smythe Training through this group. I did my Class C and Class C+E with them, and if anything, I would say training in an area that I’ve never been in was an advantage for me. It meant I was seeing the road signs for the first time, and as a result, I was making a concerted effort to take in all the info that each road sign was giving me. In an area you are more familiar with, I find that it is easy to miss information on signs you have seen many times. Autopilot I guess.

Retest times will depend on the availability that PSTT have at the time I would assume, but they would be best placed to answer this question. I paid extra for the pass protection on my C+E course and I did feel that this helped relax me, even though I didn’t need to use it for a 2nd visit :smiley: