C+E mindset

Hey folks

I’ve been driving class 2 for 15 years and have decided to upgrade to C+E

My training starts in 3 weeks. Is there anything I can do right now in my day to day job (32T tipper) that could help me get in the right mindset for C+E training?

I’ve picked up a few bad habits over the years such as palming the steering wheel instead of push/pull and I tend to mirror and signal at the same time before manoeuvre. Been trying to get out of those habits over the last few days and the steering thing has been challenging!

So I’m eager to hear tips from anyone who is currently training or has recently passed or is an old timer… basically any tips that I can put in to practice now that will help me when I start training :slight_smile:

If you have a good trainer and with 15 years on class 2, you should be fine. I’m sure you will manage to do your mirror checks and steer correctly when your own hard-earned is on the line not wanting a re-sit.

One good thing is that you get the uncoupling / coupling and the reverse out of the way in advance now.

Riz:
Hey folks

My training starts in 3 weeks. Is there anything I can do right now in my day to day job (32T tipper) that could help me get in the right mindset for C+E training?

I’ve picked up a few bad habits over the years such as palming the steering wheel instead of push/pull and I tend to mirror and signal at the same time before manoeuvre. Been trying to get out of those habits over the last few days and the steering thing has been challenging!

So I’m eager to hear tips from anyone who is currently training or has recently passed or is an old timer… basically any tips that I can put in to practice now that will help me when I start training :slight_smile:

When I trained last month, I did 4 days C followed by 4 days C+E then the Test. We were told that, especially at junctions & roundabouts, we were being shown the lines to take in the longer vehicle -16m Trailer on the back, so it could be worthwhile trying to allow for a longer vehicle whilst doing your current driving. I agree with the previous responder that with your experience & a decent Instructor you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dont lose too much sleep over the steering. Provided you have control ie dont let go of the wheel to let it self-centre, examiners are quite relaxed about it and aren’t looking for push/pull necessarily. I’ve witnessed some strange performances from folks trying to overcome their normal steering method and there’s just no need.

Now then, the mirror/signal. Different thing altogether. You MUST check at least one mirror (but better still if it’s 3) BEFORE applying the signal.

All the best with it, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

as an old timer (still working tho’)…and previously a tipper driver for 25 years …i’d say you probably have picked up a few bad habits :laughing:
took me some time in my present job to stop racing round like a loon!

The hardest thing is looking at road junctions differently. I did mine after driving 8w plant lorries with lots of rear overhang.

I would typically go wide to make a tight turn in my rigid so as to stay in lane on the exit from the junction. Driving an artic was hard for me as you seem to be going past the junction before starting to turn to avoid the trailer cutting in.

Get on your mirror checks and I’m sure you will be fine

Riz:
Hey folks

With so much experience, how many hours is your training going to be? Have you had an assessment with a suggestion provided to you of how many hours required? I only needed 10 hours training so got my class 1 for less than £800, 5 hours Saturday + 5 hours Sunday + test on Monday, but had nowhere near as much class 2 experience as you.

I had an assessment before both class 2 and class 1 to determine training hours needed. No idea why this isn’t standard through the industry…

Thanks so much for your replies. I’ve got the steering wheel thing under control and have been giving myself extra time for the mirror first, THEN signal THEN manovoure.

Passed with zero minors.

Now, finding a job down south who don’t want a years experience …

Riz:
Passed with zero minors.

Congratulations!!

Where exactly?

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

stu675:

Riz:
Passed with zero minors.

Congratulations!!

Where exactly?

Thanks!

I’m in west sussex. So there’s Shoreham, Chichester, Bognor etc near me. I’m currently driving class II tippers out of Littlehampton and Shoreham.

Ok, sounds nice, but even further south than me and anything I know about.