Building Sites, what do you do?

So I’m relatively new to this HGV agency driving, that’s why I’m here. I started driving 7.5 tonnes and Class 2s in June of last year and for the most part I’ve been enjoying it. It’s been a steep learning curve that’s for sure. Prior to June the only experience I’d had with a ratchet strap was releasing my motorcycle after it had been tied down on a cross channel ferry. I learnt how to open and close curtain siders watching YouTube videos. Thank god for YouTube.

Anyway, I digress, I’ll get to the point. Since I started driving last year I would say that the vast majority of my work is delivering to building sites - I had no idea just how many building sites there were until I started delivering. What I want to know is how many of you actually drive onto their sites and drop the goods exactly where they want them?
Personally speaking I find it a bit much that I’m expected to drive my vehicle ‘off road’ across deep muddy holes and puddles, risking tyre damage and punctures or even getting stuck on some of the dreadful tracks just so that the goods can be delivered within a few inches of their storage containers.

My day would be phenomenally easier if i remained outside the compound and the forklift driver came to me. I’m not afraid of hard work by any means but I do think it unfair to drive a vehicle, not really suited to offroading, across long stretches of mud, gravel and god knows what else.

Does anybody refuse and say, ‘No, either you collect from me at the gates or I’m off to the next job?’.

yeah thats pretty much how it works , you get used to it. just treat every job as a challenge rather than a chore ,you will be surprised at the places you mange to get in and out of .

Many thanks for the reply, you have put my mind at ease. I needed reassurance that I wasn’t the only mug doing this. If that’s how it goes then so be it.

Are you delivering from a crane lorry or a curtain-sider? Just interested. I also deliver to a lot of building sites, large and small, in both vehicles and yes, there is loads of building going on. You won’t be short of work it seems.

I actually like a bit of off road and like going on site! I’ve never done any damage to my vehicles as far as I know and always been warned about any hazards to tyres. As to what I do, it depends on the site, how organized they are, and what I am delivering. If it’s first, second or third fix plumbing stuff, or a kitchen, they will likely want it at the plot, if it’s say 20 doors, the telehandler will usually take it off near the site office/containers and drive it around to the group of plots the doors are for. With the crane, I do my best, within the constraints of the crane, to get it exactly where they want it.

Whenever I go to a new site, I always park by the sign which says “don’t go any further without reporting to the site office” or similar, I report to the site office, they then ask where I’m parked, I tell them by the sign at the site entrance and more often than not they send the telehandler over to me and I just need to maneuver into position. Then I try to establish a routine with the telehandler operator/plumber/whoever, so the thing is to clock them, as I find they will keep a look out for me and I do the same every time, park in the same spot and they take it off. Sometimes they won’t want you on site and getting in the way.

Sometimes you need to have a bit of common sense and refuse. I drive a plant lorry with hiab, if it looks iffy and I’m delivering plant I’ll stop where it is safe (flat & level) and ideally not up to my armpits in slop. Unload the machine and they can / or i will track it to where desired.

Getting stuck is a royal pain in the arse, getting pulled out without getting damage is easier said then done.

Sometimes if i’m delivering a cabin and it’s not suitable (i’ll get stuck) i’ll refuse to do it. You’ll get told its all crushed underneath there but you dont need a lot of slop to get stuck in.

Ultimately it comes down to experience, knowing your vehicles capability and your own limitations.

Thanks for the replies folks. I’m not HIAB trained so I’m generally driving curtain siders and open/drop side trucks. As you know, some of the dirt tracks can be several hundred yards long and so walking it first to check it out is not really an option so you don’t really know what’s coming until you arrive at it.

I suppose the first thing I should do is check with the management of the business that I’m working for on that day and hear what they have to say about it, it’s their vehicle (or rental vehicle) at the end of the day.
I think I’ll add it to my ever growing long list of things to check/cover now that I’m commercial driver. Thanks again for your comments.