Class 1 assessment at GXO (Currys in Newark)

Have an assessment on Monday 4pm till about 7/8pm my first one.
I am currently a class 2 driver (passed my class 1 in Jan) been hunting for a job on the class 1s since.

Chap from recruitment team in Northampton called and went through my CV etc told me a little about the role and booked me in for assessment.

Just wondering what I should expect to encounter? I am still driving a class 2 currently and will be at work early hours Tuesday so can’t really put my card in tacho to drive their trucks, do you need to on an assessment? Also what can I expect to happen? I’m guessing they are going to want a reverse out of me and literally the only time I’ve reversed a class 1 is on test so pretty worried about it all in honesty as I don’t wanna mess it up!

Any help or advice will be appreciated

This area is open to interpretation (in my opinion), but the only thing that matters is that GXO will most likely require your card to be in and probably wouldn’t allow the assessment to proceed if you don’t comply.

My argument is that an assessment drive does not deliver or collect any goods (commercial or non-commercial).

There are some specific exemptions mentioned where if during an employment a driver never carries goods, then he/she is not in scope. This includes mechanics driving the vehicle to a testing station or a driver that only moves empty vehicles between depots.

The bottom line is that if you want the job, you will most likely need to have your card in and resisting will probably result in a job opportunity missed.

You need to use a card for an assesment, any decent company that values it’s O licence will not allow you to drive a truck with no card in.

You will need to arrange it around your daily driving hours where possible or on a day off where you can still have the required weekly rest.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

How did your drive go?

Speak to them and explain your tacho situation. I’m sure they’ll be accommodating.
They’re a big company that takes new passes readily and just need to get the boxes ticked before they move forward.
It’s an assessment/induction/sign the legalese combo. So you can go Monday and do the training day, then go another day for an assessment drive. So long as you explain your tacho situation to them.
I got my first break with GXO too btw.

The recent assessment drive I had they wanted me to put my tacho card in, and do a manual entry of rest and other work from the time I arrived on site up to putting the card in, to show I knew how to do one. I expect theyll want you to do similar.

Thanks for all the replys! Went on the assessment and yes tacho was required to be put in.

For the chap that asked how it went. I didn’t get through to the next stage. Guy I was with was sound though. Passed the written multiple choice fine no issues. Chat went fine after. Checks of trailer unit all fine, checks of trailer all fine. Couple up as it was the first time since passing the test so (3rd go in my life) did it’s but was slow took me a good half an hour with checks/coupling up etc.

Guy then asked me to do a reverse in between 2 trailers (fair sized gap in between them to be fair to him) got it in after a shunt or 2 but took 10 mins or so. After wards the guy said with the contract they have with Currys (a 1 hour window) he didn’t think it would be fair to take me as you only have 30 mins to get trailer hooked up and on the way and at this stage didn’t think I’d be up to it.

I did mention that it was my 3rd couple up in my life and I would no doubt get quicker with practice and doing it daily. But no deals. He said “once you’ve got some experience feel free to try again” LOL that old chestnut.

A year ago no doubt he’d have been saying great can you start yesterday and here’s £1000 to start! But unfortunately seems like I’m back to hunting for the ever elusive start on the big boy trucks!