20 hours

Hi all, just wondering anyone’s opinion on two matters.
On the 25th of March I have five days training at four hours a day, does this seem like enough training? Was just wonderinghow much training peoplehave had, also, what are people’s thoughts on training in an unfamiliar area, I no n understand as a driver, you could or would be driving in unfamiliar areas, but just wondering if people saw this as a dis advantage, thanks for any information.

There’s lots of different types of training, I presume you mean truck training?

I don’t personally do truck training, but if you’re talking about car-to-artic, my view would be “no”, five half days are not enough. (see link added by edit)

Unfamiliar area? Shouldn’t be a problem, the whole gig is going to be new anyway. PSTT take people from all over the country and I don’t believe they would disagree with me. I did my Class 1 about 100 miles from my home area, though I was familiar with a lot of the roads from my Class 2 work.

I’m hoping you haven’t booked through a broker?

EDIT: there’s another current TN thread that deals with your question
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=174224

Depends on your experience and level of ability/confidence with a larger vehicle really.

Some people will say car to C/C+E in 5 days is too short.

I did car to C+E in 4 days with test on day 5, failed my first test due to one silly mistake, did my retest 2 weeks later with no additional training and passed no problem. But Ive been driving ambulances in blue lights around central London for the last 10 years so I’ve had tonnes of additional training and advanced driving courses compared to your average car driver.

I was put off as my training course date got closer and closer by the amount of posts you read on here saying youll never do it in just 4 days, and was thinking of cancelling the course to do a longer 2 week course. Im glad I didnt in the end!

Zac_A:
There’s lots of different types of training, I presume you mean truck training?

I don’t personally do truck training, but if you’re talking about car-to-artic, my view would be “no”, five half days are not enough. (see link added by edit)

Unfamiliar area? Shouldn’t be a problem, the whole gig is going to be new anyway. PSTT take people from all over the country and I don’t believe they would disagree with me. I did my Class 1 about 100 miles from my home area, though I was familiar with a lot of the roads from my Class 2 work.

I’m hoping you haven’t booked through a broker?

EDIT: there’s another current TN thread that deals with your question
trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=174224

No through a broker mate no, it’s through my employers apprenticeship scheme, so I suppose, really I cant be grumbling as ive not paid for any of the training, and yeah I will be going straight from car to artic, its a site called MT training in Kidderminster, what advice would you have mate from going from car to artic,ive been driving now for 9 years.

tierbirdy:
Depends on your experience and level of ability/confidence with a larger vehicle really.

Some people will say car to C/C+E in 5 days is too short.

I did car to C+E in 4 days with test on day 5, failed my first test due to one silly mistake, did my retest 2 weeks later with no additional training and passed no problem. But Ive been driving ambulances in blue lights around central London for the last 10 years so I’ve had tonnes of additional training and advanced driving courses compared to your average car driver.

I was put off as my training course date got closer and closer by the amount of posts you read on here saying youll never do it in just 4 days, and was thinking of cancelling the course to do a longer 2 week course. Im glad I didnt in the end!

Yeah that’s my worry, I’ve only driven a car, I’ve spoken to drivers in work, most just say don’t worry, it’s easier than you think / you’ll pick it up , I can’t get the worry outta my head about doing something stupid.

five days training at four hours a day, does this seem like enough training? Was just wondering how much training people have had, also, what are people’s thoughts on training in an unfamiliar area

And so the discussion rumbles on! Let’s look at facts rather than thoughts. 20 hours training B to CE is absolutely fine with the following provisos:

Driver aptitude
Standard of tuition
Standard of facilities (eg reversing area)
Standard of vehicle
Reverse/uncoupling etc done separately ie leaving 20 hours on road training

If all those are in place, the fact is that it works. When the rules first changed, Nov 21, some trainers started at 30 or 25 hours. I found this was too long and the course was in danger of becoming boring. So I chose 20 hours and never looked back.

Reference training in a different area. Facts again indicate this is no problem. In a way it’s clearly harder. But this is compensated by the lack of perceived knowledge eg “there’s never a parked car around this bend” OR “I’m certain this is a 40 limit” when it’s actually a 30.

Over the years, I’ve completed many training courses to increase my own knowledge and qualifications. The majority have been done on a residential basis where there are no distractions and no pre-conceived ideas.

Please deal in facts rather than thoughts.

The very best of luck with your course, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Wilshaw1988:
what are people’s thoughts on training in an unfamiliar area, I no n understand as a driver, you could or would be driving in unfamiliar areas, but just wondering if people saw this as a dis advantage, thanks for any information.

I thought this was an advantage, hence choosing to travel from South Wales to train at PSTT for both Class 2 and Class 1. I found that as I was reading the roads and road signs for the first time, I was concentrating far more than I do on local roads. I also found that the residential course allowed me to focus fully on the learning, without distractions at home.

Good luck with it!

Wilshaw1988:
No through a broker mate no, it’s through my employers apprenticeship scheme, so I suppose, really I cant be grumbling as ive not paid for any of the training, and yeah I will be going straight from car to artic, its a site called MT training in Kidderminster, what advice would you have mate from going from car to artic,ive been driving now for 9 years.

All the advice you need is on this website - go through the training tips a few times and you can’t go wrong.

Something you can do today also - fold the rear view mirror up in your car. That should get you in the routine of using the wing mirrors in time for when you start training.

Goff118:

Wilshaw1988:

All the advice you need is on this website - go through the training tips a few times and you can’t go wrong.

Something you can do today also - fold the rear view mirror up in your car. That should get you in the routine of using the wing mirrors in time for when you start training.

I have at times when I’m driving, not used my rear view mirror, and used my wing mirrors only, and I suppose to put it, when checking my mirrors, tried to imagine I’m checking the mirrors as if I’m in a truck, and quickly looked behind over my shoulders rather than using the rear view mirror, but yeah thanks for the tip mate , I have shadowed drivers on there runs a few times, I’ve gone through the coupling process and uncoupling a few times, I’m not going into the training literally not knowing anything, its just the fact I’ve not driven a truck which I can’t get shake off the ’ I just no ill fail with a silly mistake ’ thought out of my head.

Wilshaw1988:
I have shadowed drivers on there runs a few times, I’ve gone through the coupling process and uncoupling a few times, I’m not going into the training literally not knowing anything, its just the fact I’ve not driven a truck which I can’t get shake off the ’ I just no ill fail with a silly mistake ’ thought out of my head.

Ah that’s good. You know more than I did before I started my C+E training then!

The silly mistake could happen in a car test just as easily. If anything, the slower pace of driving a lorry allows you to think ahead more, so as long as you take your time, plan ahead and check your mirrors consistently (practice in a car), you will be fine. You also have the advantage of not having forked out for your lessons and test and the additional financial pressure that comes with that.

Goff118:

Wilshaw1988:
I have shadowed drivers on there runs a few times, I’ve gone through the coupling process and uncoupling a few times, I’m not going into the training literally not knowing anything, its just the fact I’ve not driven a truck which I can’t get shake off the ’ I just no ill fail with a silly mistake ’ thought out of my head.

Ah that’s good. You know more than I did before I started my C+E training then!

The silly mistake could happen in a car test just as easily. If anything, the slower pace of driving a lorry allows you to think ahead more, so as long as you take your time, plan ahead and check your mirrors consistently (practice in a car), you will be fine. You also have the advantage of not having forked out for your lessons and test and the additional financial pressure that comes with that.

True, because I drive to same place/ same route and back everyday, I tend to forget what silly mistakes could be made in a car as the route is literally the same everyday, interesting I suppose, did you not have much knowledge about lorry driving when you went in to your training then mate

Wilshaw1988:
did you not have much knowledge about lorry driving when you went in to your training then mate

It was always something I wanted to do after spending time with my father when he was driving vans and lorries when I was a kid, but I had very little practical experience.

When I decided I was going to get my licences, I first started working on a van for a local brewery. I figured that this would allow me to get some experience of driving a larger vehicle with the plan of saving the money from the odd shifts to put towards my Class C. As it turned out, I actually quite enjoyed the brewery work (although handling money was a pain and the hourly rate was rubbish) and I ended up staying there for a few years and saved up to do Class C+E as well.

The first time I learned to couple/uncouple a trailer was during my C+E training so you are ahead of where I was when I started that particular course :slight_smile:

I would say it is enough. To make things as easy as possible to get a pass I would say artic for reversing and wagon and drag for driving would be the easiest way. If schools were using wagon and drag, then obviously the prime mover could be used solo for the first day or so. Not sure if schools are doing this.

I would say an experienced 7.5 tonne driver could be pass standard with 3 days of 3.5 hours if the reverse is out the way.

4 hours a day is probably enough to allow you to absorb the info you have been given, especially if you are commuting to and from the course. Good luck with it.