What to do/expect on an assessment drive?

stu675:
@tierbirdy where do you work now? Is it class 2? Do they run any class 1?

Sadly not, currently working at Whirlpool who only run 7.5t with no progression opportunities, the class 1 work is outsourced to another company, Downtons, who don’t take new passes.

_JD:
We ALL been there, it takes practice

My first artic, a top liner Scania 460 automatic, those with a clutch to start it off, the model with the top bed just above the driver’s head. Despite all the fancy, I just couldn’t reverse it anywhere. Drivers on sites and motorway services came out to point for me left/right/straight the wheel, they were reversing it for me by signs as a matter of fact.

Be gentle with those fifth wheels. I knackered one quite a while ago with an automatic couldn’t make it engage gear kindly cause of dysfunctional clutch (those Mercs at Carlsberg laden with beer cans’ pallets and kegs heavy as Black Sabbath); meaning, try not to slam fifth wheels, and check going underneath with a torch is properly locked. It takes a good driver assessor to really appreciate how good professional practice that is.

Yeah, I was pretty sure there would be some aspect of reversing exercise involved, and fairly sure I wouldn’t be able to do it and went in with the attitude of if nothing else its free practice and time in the driver seat. Got nothing to lose and maybe by chance I could have done it, no point getting stressed out over it.
Not that I’ve really got anything to compare it to, but I do think the yard they asked me to do it in was particularly challenging for a newbie as it was quite small and you had less than the length of the truck to turn in resulting in having to almost jacknife it in, rather than a nice line up and gently reverse in a straight line like the driving test.

I’ll certainly be more gentle with the fifth wheel next time, maybe on a truck that isnt a knackered training school truck you can just slip it in!