Class 2 jobs

Hi compared to class 1 (c +e) jobs, is there as much demand for class 2? I keep hearing conductivity statements so I am a bit confused!

Is it really with sinking £1300 into a course?

I plan to do class 2 driving for 6 months before taking my c +e course.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Have you ever looked at a road? Have you ever seen a lorry on it? Have you counted up the ratio of lorries with and without trailers?

There seems to be an awful lot of both to me on the roads, stands to reason there will be a lot of jobs for both, whether there are vacancies, well then I would look on indeed etc.

Sorry if I was being too patronising and flippant. But it’s a difficult question to answer without knowing what £1300 represents to you? What is the alternative career you would do? Your aptitude and appetite for driving? How hard will you look for work after training?

£1300 sounds like a perfectly reasonable price for cat 2, say another £1300 on top for cat 1. That is similar to what I was happy to pay, if that is what you have found available?
I think cat 2 would be a great route to take, I think there’s probably a much wider variety of roles (cement, hiab, road sweeper, gritter, bins, small fuel tanker, water works tanker) and I reckon much more of a propensity to be day work and home every night compared with class 1 being either night trunks or tramping (as an over simplification)

I did my c+e in September, as it looked like redundancy was looming in my current role. I’m still here, but got a job literally instantly as a gritter driver class 2 for eve’s weekends and early morning, it’s zero hour contract, I get £100 per week to be on call and £80 per run. Takes about 2 hours. Its paid for my licence already. Don’t dismiss class 2. Loads of tippers and bin/skip wagons.

Agreed. There too much emphasis on class 1 and too much negativity about class 2 “puddle jumpers”. I did a lot of bin wagon and hookloader work, plus hiab with 40 yard skip. All of which I’d say were a lot more demanding than trunking down the motorway to swap a trailer over then driving straight back to the yard.

Dotter162:
I did my c+e in September, as it looked like redundancy was looming in my current role. I’m still here, but got a job literally instantly as a gritter driver class 2 for eve’s weekends and early morning, it’s zero hour contract, I get £100 per week to be on call and £80 per run. Takes about 2 hours. Its paid for my licence already. Don’t dismiss class 2. Loads of tippers and bin/skip wagons.

Doing 2 jobs? I hope you are having all your legally required rest periods and doing your manual entries to record ‘‘other work’’ for your other job as isrequired? :smiling_imp:

shullbit:

Dotter162:

Doing 2 jobs? I hope you are having all your legally required rest periods and doing your manual entries to record ‘‘other work’’ for your other job as isrequired? :smiling_imp:

Gritting is emergency work not on the tacho I believe. Not sure about all the rules around it.

stu675:

shullbit:

Dotter162:

Gritting is emergency work not on the tacho I believe. Not sure about all the rules around it.

Driving a non tacho vehicle cannot be counted as rest for the EU regs

ROG:

stu675:

shullbit:

Would it be added to an office job for wtd■■?
Or could you do max 60 hrs, avg 48 hrs, gritting plus unlimited office work because you’ve opted out of wtd for office work.

stu675:

ROG:

stu675:

shullbit:

Would it be added to an office job for wtd■■?
Or could you do max 60 hrs, avg 48 hrs, gritting plus unlimited office work because you’ve opted out of wtd for office work.

Non driving WTD and driving WTD do not get added together

Don’t dissmiss class 2 , mine got my class 1 paid for as the firm I was working for put me though it
Shame he sold up 2 year ago :frowning: