Dvsa roadside checks on vu?

So I made a stupid choice last week, I drove back to the depot with my card pulled out. I could have took a 45mkn break and made it back but I had to get back for a family emergency! I have took a print out from when I pulled the card and one when I finished to show how far I drove over it was 36mins. My tm has allocated the missing km and mins to me on his system, but said if Dvsa stop I shoudo show them the printouts as they will see it on the vu.
But how long should I keep them■■? I know the vu holds over a year of data, but on a roadside check how far do they actually look at on the vu?? I’ve seen a lot of post saying they can go back a year but how far to they actually check? It’s my only infringement in the past 4 months■■?

28 days
36 mins is abit to much for a print out
Expect to get a warning from your boss for that and prey and hope you don’t get stoped
Edit! NEVER NEVER NEVER PULL YOUR CARD AS THATS WORSE THAN GOING OVER

Surely 28 days is not a limit that they are restricted to? Is it?

blue estate:
28 days
Expect to get a warning from your boss for that and prey and hope you don’t get stoped

Yes my boss has gave me a warning, it was a genuine emergency to get back to, my boss thinks that they check the vu for 3 months at a roadside check so keep it for that long?
But I also don’t wana keep it and show them if say it’s after 28 days and I wouldn’t need to show them if that makes sense

Newclass2:

blue estate:
28 days

Yes my boss has gave me a warning, it was a genuine emergency to get back to, my boss thinks that they check the vu for 3 months at a roadside check so keep it for that long?
But I also don’t wana keep it and show them if say it’s after 28 days and I wouldn’t need to show them if that makes sense

28 calendar days at a roadside check for your card, the VU i dont know, would have been better leaving the card in and going over, pulling your card is a big no no.

Why didn’t you just carry on driving with your card in?
I did exactly that a few weeks ago and was over by 23 mins.
Infringement after download signed for at work and explanation given, which was genuine and checkable.
I have kept my printout in my folder and can produce it at roadside.
No sleepless nights as a result.
Never pull ya card and keep driving.

trevorking1964:
Why didn’t you just carry on driving with your card in?
I did exactly that a few weeks ago and was over by 23 mins.
Infringement after download signed for at work and explanation given, which was genuine and checkable.
I have kept my printout in my folder and can produce it at roadside.
No sleepless nights as a result.
Never pull ya card and keep driving.

I pulled over as I was about to run out of drive time for the night, and sleep out then on the phone to my wife I found out and just drove off, I did try to put back in but wouldn’t let me as I was driving, and then tbh I just had the incident that had happened on my mind.
I have got printouts to show it’s a driving infringement rather than trying to hide and cover it up

Newclass2:
So I made a stupid choice last week, I drove back to the depot with my card pulled out. I could have took a 45mkn break and made it back but I had to get back for a family emergency! I have took a print out from when I pulled the card and one when I finished to show how far I drove over it was 36mins. My tm has allocated the missing km and mins to me on his system, but said if Dvsa stop I shoudo show them the printouts as they will see it on the vu.
But how long should I keep them■■? I know the vu holds over a year of data, but on a roadside check how far do they actually look at on the vu?? I’ve seen a lot of post saying they can go back a year but how far to they actually check? It’s my only infringement in the past 4 months■■?

If g try ge TM is any good, investigate, interview and disciplinary. Certainly deserves a written warning or more. For the TM, its not about being nice to the driver, it’s about protecting the O licence
Pulling a card is, in essence, its not just a few missing Kms, its creating a false record.

Acorn:

Newclass2:

If g try ge TM is any good, investigate, interview and disciplinary. Certainly deserves a written warning or more. For the TM, its not about being nice to the driver, it’s about protecting the O licence
Pulling a card is, in essence, its not just a few missing Kms, its creating a false record.

I rang the Tm on the drive back and said what I had done, Im happy to have a written warning, but he said as I have done print outs and showed what I had done the company is happy not to go down the route of falsifying. But what I’m not sure on and the Tm isn’t sure on is how far back do they look at the vu on a roadside check? I know it holds 12 months but is it they only check back so long and if it’s all ok don’t check further?

Also we Lorry share im not always in the same Lorry so if I was to get pulled how would they know it was me? But I don’t wana chance that I’d rather of get stopped just say straight away this happend I’ve got the print out etc,

blue estate:

Very well said.

Newclass2, here’s some info you need to know:

Leaving your card in but going 36 minutes over your driving time equals a Graduated Fixed Penalty from the DVSA if you’re caught, potentially just £100 but could be up to £300 depending on how they choose to interpret it; also a sit-down formal conversation in the office with your TC with notes recorded about the conversation on the monthly infringement report. That should be the end of it as long as it’s a one-off, though DVSA will keep that on their database agasint your name.

Pulling your card and continuing to drive… Any decent TM would give you a written warning, many of us (me included) would make that a final written warning - as Acorn says it’s about protecting the O-licence, which should always be a TM’s primary objective - if not then he shouldn’t be in the role.

Your TM is massively out of touch with the legislation and the actions of the TC, and is setting himself up for some major problems.

As an historical (28 days) infringement, DVSA may very well consider passing this upwards to the TC for a Driver Conduct Hearing. Last driver I saw go in for a DCH after a card pulling event had his entitlement suspended for ten weeks, which of course made him unemployed with that particular company.

Getting caught in the act of driving without a card is likley to result in a TE160(DH) prohibition, maximum £5000 fine, and a DCH with the TC, and of course suspension of entitlement

stu675:

For applying a penalty, yes, but I imagine it would be recorded on their database for consideration on how to handle a future infringement that was within the 28 day period, probably make the difference between a verbal warning and a GFP.

Newclass2:
[.
I have got printouts to show it’s a driving infringement rather than trying to hide and cover it up

Depends if you offer it if stopped rather than them finding it first?

Newclass2:
I rang the Tm on the drive back and said what I had done
Im happy to have a written warning, but he said as I have done print outs and showed what I had done the company is happy not to go down the route of falsifying.

It’s not the company who acts on “falsification of a driver record”, that’s the DVSA’s call. And they’re quite happy to dig, dig, dig when someone comes to their attention. If DVSA make a visit to the operator’s premises, perhaps because another driver has been caught doing something serious, they’ll find your incident in the records, what they choose to do about it is up to them.

There was a guy caught using a tachocard belonging to his brother, DVSA found he’d done it more than 20 times in an eight month period, he went to court and was convicted on the multiple falsification charges - he got a six month custodial sentence.

This can be a sobering read
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … n_10.0.pdf

Zac_A:

Newclass2:
Im happy to have a written warning, but he said as I have done print outs and showed what I had done the company is happy not to go down the route of falsifying.

It’s not the company who acts on “falsification of a driver record”, that’s the DVSA’s call. And they’re quite happy to dig, dig, dig when someone comes to their attention. If DVSA make a visit to the operator’s premises, perhaps because another driver has been caught doing something serious, they’ll find your incident in the records, what they choose to do about it is up to them.

There was a guy caught using a tachocard belonging to his brother, DVSA found he’d done it more than 20 times in an eight month period, he went to court and was convicted on the multiple falsification charges - he got a six month custodial sentence.

Thank you for the replies, I understand I’ve totally messed up, but I can’t go back and change it now, so how long will I need to wait untill it won’t show on a roadside check?

stu675:

Newclass2:
[.

Depends if you offer it if stopped rather than them finding it first?

Yeh I will offer it first, but for how long should I offer it? 28 days or 3 months or a year?

Zac_A:

stu675:

For applying a penalty, yes, but I imagine it would be recorded on their database for consideration on how to handle a future infringement that was within the 28 day period, probably make the difference between a verbal warning and a GFP.

Sorry Zac I’m getting a bit confused…. So if I’m stopped within 28 days I’m in going to be put in front of the TC, but what if it is after 28 days? And for how long will I need to be worrying about getting pulled? I know they can hold 12 months data but how much would they look at on a roadside check?

I know this is my fault and no one to blame but myself but the worrying is horrible I haven’t slept properly sinced it happend, I just need to have a rough time scale in my head when I can start to relax a bit

Zac_A:

Newclass2:

There was a guy caught using a tachocard belonging to his brother, DVSA found he’d done it more than 20 times in an eight month period, he went to court and was convicted on the multiple falsification charges - he got a six month custodial sentence

I think I might just call the Dvsa and ask for some advice and own up to what I’ve done because I literally can’t cope with the stress of worrying and not knowing, I did what I did at least this way it’s upfront and honest and can be delt with. Rather than everyday and night worrying and having so much anxiety over what might happen

My tacho card is holding well over a years worth of data.

Newclass2:

Zac_A:

Newclass2:

There was a guy caught using a tachocard belonging to his brother, DVSA found he’d done it more than 20 times in an eight month period, he went to court and was convicted on the multiple falsification charges - he got a six month custodial sentence

I think I might just call the Dvsa and ask for some advice and own up to what I’ve done because I literally can’t cope with the stress of worrying and not knowing, I did what I did at least this way it’s upfront and honest and can be delt with. Rather than everyday and night worrying and having so much anxiety over what might happen

You did it, your TM has dealt with it. The likelihood of being stopped is minute. Learn and move on. That’s it.

Acorn:

Newclass2:

Zac_A:

Newclass2:

You did it, your TM has dealt with it. The likelihood of being stopped is minute. Learn and move on. That’s it.

I have been stopped twice in the last 5 years, funnily enough it was on consecutive days, anyway, twice in five years thats less than 0.15%, and might not even have got stopped on those occasions but the company had recently gone to red on OCS.