Support from transport office

Hi Everyone, I’m a newcomer to the world of trucking having recently passed class 2 and found work via an agency.

I’m curious to know what support transport offices give their drivers as I want to know whether where I’m working is the norm, better or worse than what it should be in this new environment I find myself in.

Simply, we get given a manifest document and left to find the loading bays ourselves often with the store postcode which isn’t relevant or correct in busy town centres on one way systems etc.

I solve it with a call to store to double check but just want to know if drivers get more or less support?

pass c.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

The good Tpt office will manage you, tell you where to go, which route, when where and how. That way they’ll stop you hitting a bridge. Those who leave it up to the driver deserve all they get, including bills from Network Rail

Don’t expect too much support from anyone in “the office” when you’re an agency driver.

On my first ever Class 2 shift on agency after passing my test (many years ago), I presented myself at the desk of the big name logistics outfit I’d been directed to, all my cards in my hand, expecting them to be examined, bored guy on the desk just said “Oh, agency, just grab the keys to the next rigid that comes in, paperwork will be in the cab”. Turned back to his computer and left me to my own devices.

15 years later I was seeing other places still running like this, except now with a big pile of H&S paperwork for you to “sign your life away” so that everything is your responsibility, not theirs. :unamused: