Car to C+E in 5 days :)

Well, technically 6 if you include todays re-test! :smiley:

Been wanting to try this for a while, back in the summer one night after feeling particularly fed up with work I decided to just go for it and book a C+E course with Apex Training in Peterborough, whom I would highly recommend!
They had me in for a 1hr assessment drive to see how many days training they thought I’d need, was pleasantly surprised when they said the minimum of 4 days plus test on day 5.
Booked a course, was about a 3 month waiting list but finally started last month, very excited to get behind the wheel of one of these beasts!
Had 3a booked for day 4 and 3b for day 5, on day 2 the instructor asked if I wanted to do my 3a now and get it over and out of the way as he thought I’d nailed the technique and was ready for it. No problem at all got that done with no issue or shunts needed.
Also found time to squeeze my Mod4 CPC in afterwards too.

Round comes test day, making lots of silly little mistakes on my pre-test warmup drive due to exam nerves, I can cope with stressful situations no problem but I hate exam conditions always makes me fall apart!
I thought the test went relatively well, park up back in the yard and the examiner breaks the bad news. I’d gotten no minors, but 1 serious for entering a roundabout and forcing another car to stop.
I knew exactly what one, one of those horrible giant roundabouts thats covered in trees so you cant see whats coming around it and can only see half of the entrance to your right.
Id been waiting, waiting, waiting, for a gap, finally one appeared and I went for it… the second Id started to pull out and was committed, a little boy racer came screaming around the roundabout well over the speed limit and had to stop.
A tad unfair if you ask me, but oh well.

3 weeks later, re-test day, very concerned because I havent driven an artic in nearly a month, feel very rusty and dont feel a 1hr warmup drive will be enough to refresh my skills. Get back to the yard feeling like Im about to waste a lot of money on this re-test. Shake hands with the examiner and off we go.

Absolutely bricking it, most stressful hour Ive had in a long time.
I was double and triple guessing myself at every roundabout and junction as to whether I could pull out or not. Entirely convinced I’ve failed because of various, what I felt to be, mistakes and challenging multi-lane roundabouts.
An hour later, back in the yard and hearing congratulations youve passed with 1 minor, for braking too harshly when the traffic light in front of me went from green to amber.
He said I should have just kept going and he was considering failing my test for that BUT that he was so impressed at the “exemplary level of driving skill I’d demonstrated through the rest of the test” (his words not mine!), as I’d safely dealt with everything the road could throw at me with some absolutely appalling road conditions, that he was going to give me the benefit of the doubt and put it down as a minor instead of serious as he could see I was going to be a safe driver :grimacing:

Now to find a new job! :smiley:

Big thanks to Apex Training, brilliant instructors and have been thoroughly helpful and pleasant to deal with throughout.

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

Great news! Well done.