Progressing..

There probably is better paid class 2 work out there if you are willing to handball (lift and carry, use a sackbarrow etc).

There is no doubt that there will always be a requirement for class 2 driving. Many drivers carry on doing this for their entire driving career quite happily and this won’t go away.

Each situation is different, and it depends on the person, what is in the local area and the relative pay rates.

From my personal experience, I took the bull by the horns and found that getting my class 1 (self-funded) was a good move and I haven’t looked back.

I did agency work for a few years and found that it was feast and famine rather than steady work. When I took my holidays, it was very much when it was quiet rather than by choice. On the other hand, I could move about a bit for variety and change agencies too. There was never an issue paying the bills.

Yeah I have been nosing at all sorts of jobs locally, I know class 1 is not the only option i guess it reads a bit like that in my first post, theres hiab / builders merchant stuff, also a few tanker / gas bottle jobs local if I did adr. I’m not adverse to a bit of graft we end up doing a fair bit of handball at some ‘kerbside deliveries’ now…

My train of thought I guess is if I do the class 1 at least it’s more options open to me, also seems to be more options round here on shift / night work which suits me at home, suppose it’s just taking the plunge and trying it really

Sadam:
Yeah I have been nosing at all sorts of jobs locally, I know class 1 is not the only option i guess it reads a bit like that in my first post, theres hiab / builders merchant stuff, also a few tanker / gas bottle jobs local if I did adr. I’m not adverse to a bit of graft we end up doing a fair bit of handball at some ‘kerbside deliveries’ now…

My train of thought I guess is if I do the class 1 at least it’s more options open to me, also seems to be more options round here on shift / night work which suits me at home, suppose it’s just taking the plunge and trying it really

You may be waiting around for a while if you rely on training from your employer in my experience. Their decision will be based on their ability to recruit existing experienced drivers and as you say, they may think of you as a class 2 driver they don’t want to take off class 2.

On the other hand, if you self-fund, you may find they are only too happy to use the licence that you have funded privately when they are a class 1 driver down one day. This may be a good way of getting that initial experience and then making a sharp exit for something more lucrative after that.

Best of luck anyway.

Hey, welcome to the forum.

Whereabouts in Wales are you? I did my class 2 and class 1 self-funded which suited me at the time, but I have since come across a scheme run by Bridgend college whereby they fund your training. I signed up just before I did my class 1 and they offered me dates to train just before Christmas last year but they didn’t suit because of work commitments at the time.

I can DM you the details if it’s of interest.

Goff118:
Hey, welcome to the forum.

Whereabouts in Wales are you? I did my class 2 and class 1 self-funded which suited me at the time, but I have since come across a scheme run by Bridgend college whereby they fund your training. I signed up just before I did my class 1 and they offered me dates to train just before Christmas last year but they didn’t suit because of work commitments at the time.

I can DM you the details if it’s of interest.

North Wales just over the border so right up the other end… I’ve just noticed yesterday though that Chevron in Flint who I did my class 2 with are offering a 10% discount for trucknet users, I would go back to them anyway so that’s a bonus

I’ve just noticed yesterday though that Chevron in Flint who I did my class 2 with are offering a 10% discount for trucknet users

That’s correct. Peter Smythe Transport Training is owned by the same folks that own Chevron in Flint and PJE in Hereford. And that’s why the 10% trucknet user discount now works across the group.

But please make it clear from the outset that you are a Trucknet user otherwise it makes life hard for the admin people trying to sort it out further down the line.

Good luck all, Pete S :laughing: :laughing:

Ah yes I’d go self-funded with Chevron then. I did my Class 1 and 2 with Peter Smythe Training, even though I’m from South Wales.

The training was top class and I actually found the unfamiliarity with the roads a benefit, if that makes sense.

Thanks for the info all

Iv got back I touch with Chevron today, not booked yet as was planning around March, they have advised message back January to get booked, so fingers crossed onwards and upwards next year

Sadam:
Thanks for the info all

Iv got back I touch with Chevron today, not booked yet as was planning around March, they have advised message back January to get booked, so fingers crossed onwards and upwards next year

All the best with it, and use the forum for info - especially the pinned post trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … =5&t=44667

I self funded my class 1 which was the best option imo. I notice you put your option 1 as ‘wait to be asked to do class 1’. Sod that, you could wait a long time. Beat down the door of your TM and tell them you’d like to do class 1 and ask them to pay for it. I think showing drive and initiative will reflect your commitment to work and a desire to progress.

Given the fact that (in your words) the money where you are is ‘■■■■ poor’, I would not be waiting for them to pay for your training. Seize the moment matey, get the training yourself and then onto better things!

Yeah, I did tell them in my interview I only wanted a years work to get some experience then do my class 1, and the TM told us if you do a year we will put you through it, that’s one of the reasons I have stayed here the past year instead of applying for higher paid class 2 work…

However the way things are at the moment I doubt they will, was talking to one of the warehouse to wheels lads the other day who was told he would be on a fast track 4 months in warehouse, 4 months in rigid then onto class 1. Hes currently spent 9 months in a rigid…

Fortunately I’m not locked in on a 2 year contract like him as they havnt funded anything for me so looking like getting it done myself is the best option, it’s just getting some initial experience so iv got some time / experience on my CV before jumping ship but will see what happens once I get it done…

Sadam:
Thanks for the info all

Give the office a call next week and we can sort out getting you booked in - check out our BRAND NEW tractor unit for training - who knows you might decide to book now and be one of the first to test in it :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: