Starting Advice

Noremac:
Are there any firms you have in mind to work for in your local area?

Have you asked the question of them if they would consider a 20-year-old new pass?

That it in a nutshell for me. Getting the entitlement would be the relatively easy part, getting someone to trust you to drive a 40 or 44 tonner, and for their insurance company to cover you, would be a different kettle of fish. Even years ago, new Class 2 passes were often given 7.5T work first to demonstrate they could be safe before going on to a proper HGV.

I can say for certain my haulage client would not employ another young-ish driver, not after the way the last one performed, multiple incidents of gross negligence in the space of a few weeks :open_mouth:

Anyone who wants to do the job, should just do it, but only with their eyes open and disregarding all the nonsense in the press.

On the plus side, though the solitary nature of the job does not suit everyone, when it does suit you it’s brilliant, being left to my own devices 99% of the time was ideal for me. Once you’ve got the initial experience you’ll be able to get work relatively easily and won’t have to stay with a job that’s getting you down, so there’s more more freedom in the role.

On the negative side, generally the industry does not treat drivers particularly well, pay and conditions can be very poor, haulage bosses attitude towards drivers can very poor indeed. Then there’s your “workmates” the average HGV driver is mid-50s & likes to complain a lot, so not great company for a young person.