Calculating Payload in the real world

Hi
I’m new to Class 2 agency work and I have a payload question.
The question is, what weight can I carry?

As far as I can tell maximum payload allowed is the total permitted gross weight of the vehicle minus the kerbside weight of the vehicle but where do I find the kerbside weight of the vehicle?
All the plating certificates I’ve seen simply display the gross weight and axle weight limits but no mention of the unloaded weight of the vehicle.
Is it my duty, when I turn up at a new business, to ask for the unloaded vehicle weight and payload weight?

I’ve no doubt that in many of the businesses that I’ve been to questions like this would be met by blank faces.

nearest weighbridge is the only way

ROG:

So every new pass has to take every load to a weighbridge until they get a feel for what is an acceptable load?

stu675:

ROG:

So every new pass has to take every load to a weighbridge until they get a feel for what is an acceptable load?

Can always take the loaded vehicle directly to the nearest weighbridge if it looks SAFE and then return to the loading point to remove any excess all without any penalty

OK. Many thanks but I’m not aware of any weigh bridges anywhere near me.

Assuming you’re on an industrial estate, someone nearby will have one, no harm asking to drive on it, have a look at the weight, then eff off out of their way, 60 seconds max, no harm done. Recycling/Waste facilities are usually pretty relaxed about comings and goings like that.

Inside the vehicle will be the VTG6 “Ministry plate” showing your GVW, that’s the total limit for the vehicle, including with you on board and fuel etc. The tare weight (ie vehicle minus load), you normally make a mental note of after getting tipped .