Failed assessment

Yeah you guessed it on going backwards :frowning:

Assessor was a really nice bloke, was very happy about all aspects of my driving, apart from reversing, so I feel pretty bummed out tbh :cry:

Don’t get me wrong I knew id flunked it, but how to get some practice in so I can learn??
My plan was to do some weekend driving before I possible take the plunge full time, however as an agency part timer looks like I need some practice / training.

Has anyone done any extra training over and above what you get ‘taught’ on your test, to get practice reversing?

Extra training is a waste of time as the training schools dont have bays to reverse onto. Besides why pay more money even you dont need to.

Best way for experience is to book as many assessments via agency and also companies or jobs which you dont want to do. During these assessments you will get your practise on reversing and get confident. Who cares if you dont pass the assessments as your only there for a free drive and practise. After a few assessments it will click in and you will be a little better. Then you apply for the job which you want and hopefully pass the assessment. The experience on getting better at reversing comes then on the job

Hope this helps

No assessor should be expecting a new pass to be able to reverse easily into a bay. It takes time to learn and practise reversing. Unless you very nearly hit another vehicle then they should be prepared to teach you to reverse if required by putting you out with trainer or another driver for a week or 2.

It sounds to me like you didn’t fit the bill for whatever reason with the trainer.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

The chances of passing a bay reverse straight from test is virtually zero. One trainer told me he had one guy manage it, but he worked on a farm and had been moving trailers around for years.

If you are a straight to artic pass, I would say that you do need to be accompanied. As wrong as it is in this day and age, if you accept a couple of unpaid days, it could be a way of getting some training somewhere.

I did manage to get shifts going straight on agency and went out on my own doing multidrop :open_mouth: . It wasn’t that bad, but yes, I was that guy that someone took pity on and talked me through a reverse. Most people have been through this and will then return the favour to someone else once or many times in the future.

You piece things together gradually, but you do need to take the plunge in some way to start the process.

When I went for C+E, I did have a few years’ experience of 7.5 tonne and C, so it is maybe a different scenario to yours.

I think I got lucky with the first driving assessment I did for weekend supermarket work after passing my C&E in January. It was the assessor’s first assessment and he seemed more focused on a good attitude and after a good drive going forward, I took a few shunts to get it on the dock on the reverse but managed it in the end. As a new driver, I don’t think he expected much else.

8 months and around 20 shifts later, I’m getting there but still far from perfect.

I’d say keep going for the assessments as once you’re in, you’re in and then you can get the practice in with less pressure.

Don’t worry mate. I failed 3 assesments on reversing. To have a brief idea how to do it, I watched some YT trucker vlogs, but you will only learn it through practice.
That’s why I applied for a contract with Eddie Stobart. Sheep money, but they don’t require an assesment to take you on. After signing witht them I was driving with a driver’s mentor, and learned how to back it up properly. After 4 months of working for Stobbies, I went to Tesco, and passed my assesment straight away.

Have a look on that kind of type of practice. Good luck mate! Don’t get demotivated because of failing at reversing. Most of people don’t know how to do it in the early days.

Roadkill_Badger:
Don’t worry mate. I failed 3 assesments on reversing. To have a brief idea how to do it, I watched some YT trucker vlogs, but you will only learn it through practice.
That’s why I applied for a contract with Eddie Stobart. Sheep money, but they don’t require an assesment to take you on. After signing witht them I was driving with a driver’s mentor, and learned how to back it up properly. After 4 months of working for Stobbies, I went to Tesco, and passed my assesment straight away.

Have a look on that kind of type of practice. Good luck mate! Don’t get demotivated because of failing at reversing. Most of people don’t know how to do it in the early days.

Cheers mate, I was thinking along these lines myself, I’ve got a few irons in the fire and tbh I think it was good experience just going for assessment.

I have a good few years driving class 1 and I failed loads of assessments,because i was on pallets straight through yards hardly any reversing work,the good firms will have a decent trainer to put you right though, the ones that are not helping new guys are either top payers or poor firms that don’t help themselves out at all.
A fail can really knock your confidence and they know it does. If the industry was that short of drivers they should be training anyone who has the actual ability to drive.
I imagine you will crack it soon enough pal, don’t let them grind you down.

Some “assessors” are so full of thier own self importance that even a seasoned driver will not make the grade in their eyes. The guy is not an examiner and providing you were smooth and safe he should have given you a chance by at least trying to help you. Sounds like you ran into one of lifes precious driver trainers.

Ok first of all use your brain lol dont even go on any assessment until you get a bit of experience

1. work for an agency,(which wont ask for assesment) and when your doing a job if POD says 1200 and you have a couple hours spare practise in a empty service station. Work for said agency for couple weeks

2. now go to assessment when your know what your doing

Don’t loose hope. Sometimes get to places and see how they reverse into a bay. If you are not sure get a bottle and put it as your marker. Reverse round it

Cheers mate, I found the perfect weekend job in the end :smiley:

Reversing is coming along, banged it straight between 2 other trailers and on the door at a DHL depot yesterday :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m really enjoying it, far more than my other job, reckon I’ll be jumping in full time next year