Medical BP Query

I’ve been for my medical today and everything was fine apart from my blood pressure. I do not suffer with hypertension and regularly check my BP at home and in work so I know I’m fine. During the medical though the lowest reading was 186/90.

The Dr doing the medical said all I need to do is attach a copy of 3 “home readings” to the medical form when I send it off and it should be ok.

Has anyone had something similar or does anyone know what info needs to be attached….as in will a photo of the readings with time and date be sufficient?

This is something I’ve been wanting for years and now I finally have the chance to get my licence I can’t believe this is going to stop me.

That is incredibly high blood pressure, I would suggest it’s a waste of time sending that to the DVLA. You need to see your GP urgently and when you’re blood pressure is controlled get a new Medical.

Thefridge1980:
I’ve been for my medical today and everything was fine apart from my blood pressure. I do not suffer with hypertension and regularly check my BP at home and in work so I know I’m fine. During the medical though the lowest reading was 186/90.

As a general guide:

ideal blood pressure is considered to be between 90/60mmHg and 120/80mmHg
high blood pressure is considered to be 140/90mmHg or higher
low blood pressure is considered to be 90/60mmHg or lower

Thefridge1980:

The Dr doing the medical said all I need to do is attach a copy of 3 “home readings” to the medical form when I send it off and it should be ok.

Has anyone had something similar or does anyone know what info needs to be attached….as in will a photo of the readings with time and date be sufficient?

This is something I’ve been wanting for years and now I finally have the chance to get my licence I can’t believe this is going to stop me.

You could simply have had a bout of white coat syndrome but 186/90 is very high and needs checking out, when my blood pressure is checked at the doctors it will sometimes be a few points higher than when I check it at home but never anywhere near that much higher.

I wouldn’t think the DVLA will accept your own readings when they see a reading of 186/90 on the D4 form and frankly with a blood pressure reading like that it’s right that they should want to do further checks.

I suggest you go to your doctor and get your blood pressure checked, if it’s very high at the doctors explain that you suspect that it’s white coat syndrome and ask for a 24 hour blood pressure test, as you may already know this simply means wearing a blood pressure cuff that attached to a device that records regular readings as you go about your normal days activities.

By the way, even if you do have very high blood pressure it doesn’t mean you cannot drive HGVs it just means you will need to get it under control before you get your licence.

I would not expect DVLA to accept your home readings, they don’t know it’s you with the cuff on your arm do they?

I had an issue with high BP at one medical, I had to go to the GP and have a range of things done: BP reading from a nurse once a week for three weeks, extensive blood tests, an ECG, finally a 24 hour cuff.
Took three months to get my entitlement back. :unamused:
What’s your gaffer going to do if he has to take you off driving?

Group 2
bus and lorry
Must not drive and must notify DVLA if resting BP is consistently:
■ 180mm Hg or higher systolic
May be relicensed/licensed after BP is controlled, provided there are no side-effects from treatment that affect or are likely to affect safe driving.

assets.publishing.service.gov.u … y-2022.pdf

Test yourself regularly at home with a blood press monitor such as this one from amazon

A&D UA-611 £19.99
amazon.co.uk/Medical-UA-611 … B00JQ7SZLO

You may find that the lowest readings are before breakfast. If so, maybe book another medical but this time go to the medical before eating anything that day, so book the medical early in the day. Ask the doctor if you can sit down for 10 minutes to relax before the medical as that might also help lower your blood pressure readings.

I don’t think the higher figure should be more than about 140, so 186 is very high. However, the lower number of 90 seems acceptable. My doctor said anything below 100 for the smaller number is ok, but different doctors can have different opinions because another doctor said below 90 for the smaller number is ok.