C+E Passed 1st Time

I have just passed my direct from B to C+E.
I must shout out to 1st Castle in West Sussex, who were great to train with.
I also benefitted from being an Institute of Advanced Motorists advanced rider before HGV training.
In hindsight, I would probably have done a B+E course to get the basics or reversing.

pass ce.png
PASSING FIREWORKS.gif

:sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Bosch12:
I also benefitted from being an Institute of Advanced Motorists advanced rider before HGV training.

Congrats! I also found have the IAM rider stuff a massive benefit!

Many Congratulations!

How many hours/days training did you do (from car to c+e)?

Congratulations

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Now I’m curious as to how advanced motorcycle riding helps with HGV??

For me driving buses for 3 years helped a lot as I already had spacial awareness of the large vehicle. And when turning would watch the rear wheels to keep them off the kerb. I would also naturally go wide as I was used to being sat Infront of the drive wheels. This only affected me driving a rigid for 2 days as I was going way wider than needed. My instructor said it was ok as I’d have to do it in the artic anyway. Also having yearly driving assessments on the buses kept you on top of it.

Driving large vehicles be they PCV or LGV is virtually on a par with advanced driving

I know because I had many LGV/PCV drivers who I helped pass their IAM test often with just a couple of runs prior to test whereas car to advanced was an average of 6 run outs

EX IAM senior observer

advanced riding is reading as much of the road (signage, markings) , environment (overhanging trees, public places, farms etc.) and other traffic as possible, picking up on things other people wouldnt notice, and looking for road conditions far more than a driver would.

Im convinced if i hadnt got a F1rst in my assessment as a rider, I would have had to learn far more on my HGV lessons (looking as far ahead as possible to make progress, reading the road to see if someone may pull out etc.)