Planner upset and now making it harder than should be

Question:
Is it worth continuing if a planner wants to make your life hell ? or best moving on, as dont care less about if they win etc, I want to enjoy going to work again,like I did before I ■■■■■■ one off by refusing to run his over weight load, that he knew, but thought with me being new I would do… just wondered if anyone has had similar and how long it took the planner to find a new target lol…

Don’t leave or the twerp will do it again
Go above their heads or refuse to do the drops ,
Play him at his own game as it’s he’s problem if drops fail not yours
Your job is to deliver the goods safely in accordance with company policy and the law of the land !
Good on you for refusing the over weight load as you’ll get finned as well as the company

blue estate:
Don’t leave or the twerp will do it again
Go above their heads or refuse to do the drops ,
Play him at his own game as it’s he’s problem if drops fail not yours
Your job is to deliver the goods safely in accordance with company policy and the law of the land !
Good on you for refusing the over weight load as you’ll get finned as well as the company

Yea, completely agree.
Or better yet, get him to put it in writing that he knows the vehicle is overweight but he is demanding you to go out anyway.
That way you can be as annoying as you want and if they ever make your life hard then you can do them for constructive dismissal.
Although, chances are the planner is not stupid enough to put anything in writing when it comes to breaking da law.

Is there any good reason to stay which would offset this guy?

If not, then you should move on. Every time I’ve left a job where it was the constant deterioration of conditions that resulted in my deciding to leave, I’ve always berated my self with “Why did I stay so long?”

Next time ask him for written authorization to leave with the overweight load and send it to the DVLA

As above.
Send an e-mail/text whatever
“Trailer X is Y tons. This is overweight. What should I do?”
And do nothing until you get a written (email/text) in reply.

If he is stupid enough to write “take it”, don`t.

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this one as i’m a new pass and yet to find work, but in this situation how would you know that the load is overweight?

capirex:
Forgive my lack of knowledge on this one as i’m a new pass and yet to find work, but in this situation how would you know that the load is overweight?

You should receive a CMR either on paper or electronically telling you some details of what you are carrying including its weight. Add that to the unladen weight of your lorry which you should know and compare to your max weight.

capirex:

As a newbie, you will probably not know: if you are unable to weigh the vehicle, but have a good reason to suspect it is overloaded, you are allowed to drive to the nearest publicly available weighbridge to have it weighed.
gov.uk/find-weighbridge

If at that point it is discovered to be over weight you have not committed an offence, but the company who loaded it may well be in trouble.

However, if you’ve driven past any weighbridges eg DVSA station at Wetherby on the A1, then you can’t use this get-out-clause

Zac_A:

capirex:

As a newbie, you will probably not know: if you are unable to weigh the vehicle, but have a good reason to suspect it is overloaded, you are allowed to drive to the nearest publicly available weighbridge to have it weighed.
gov.uk/find-weighbridge

If at that point it is discovered to be over weight you have not committed an offence, but the company who loaded it may well be in trouble.

However, if you’ve driven past any weighbridges eg DVSA station at Wetherby on the A1, then you can’t use this get-out-clause

Is it not a requirement that a driver is given a CMR which includes the weight of the goods?

stu675:

Zac_A:

capirex:

gov.uk/find-weighbridge

stu675:
Is it not a requirement that a driver is given a CMR which includes the weight of the goods?

Not necessarily, depends on the type of work. I used to do recycling collections, I had a route sheet, until I got back to the yard I had no idea how much weight was in the 40 yard container.

My own records made it clear that it was very hard to be overloaded; paper and cardboard would only get near the limit in exceptional circumstances (lots of unread catalogues and pamphlets), even glass would not make me overloaded - as long as it was unbroken bottles. Glass that was already crushed into shards was a different matter, one-third of a skip was the limit.

Doing builders materials, you got a bunch of delivery notes, each had a separate weight, so if you wanted to know the weight you had to tot them up individually and add the total to the tare weight.

My only serious overload was (thankfully) over a relatively short distance (half a mile) between two yards for the same company, carrying some indescribable leftover garbage from the recycling process - internal movement, so no paperwork at all, no instructions to weigh it.

It was handling like a bag of hammers, so purely out of interest (and invoking that public weighbridge caveat) I put it on the weighbridge… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Weighbridge operator ran out saying "WTF! You’ve broken my weighbridge!! I hadn’t, it just wasn’t happy about the overload

The Weighbridge said the weight of my 32T vehicle was “out of range”, which means I was a minimum of 60% overloaded. (range ends around 52 to 53 tons).

I spoke to the gaffer - he thought this was not only hilarious, but the standard to aim for with every internal movement, “With some other driver perhaps, not me” I said.

Thankfully that company is no longer operating. :smiley:

stu675:

In a word - “No”.

In rather a few more words, how can this possibly be done when a run involves both delivering and collecting stuff (either goods or empty pallets/stillages/cages etc). Bear in mind that the whole concept of CMR revolves around international transport by road - it has no significance at all as far as domestic routes are concerned.