New pass Agency sign up question

Hi Folks I passed my class1 3 weeks ago and have been applying for dozens of job offers with no luck so far.
I’ve been offered a 3 day training course through a agency I’ve signed up with and yes I don’t get paid I was then told the sales pitch I’ll be out on my own the 4th day and I’ll be told week by week if I’m working 5 days which the agency aka salesman said shouldn’t be a problem.
I’m terrified is this the nom because as of now I’m employed full time and really don’t want to quit until a job is guaranteed.
I guess my question is is this the normal practice if I want experience do I have to jump in feet first and trust the agency?

Hello! First of all congratulations on the pass.

Whereabouts in the country are you? I’m sure there’ll be people here than can put you in touch with some agencies that may be able to help.

I certainly wouldn’t be quitting a full-time job for this agency offer and personally, I’d not be turning up for them for 3 days without pay either.

Are you looking to transition straight into full time work on Class 1, or are you looking for a slower transition?

DarrenFraser:
Hi Folks I passed my class1 3 weeks ago and have been applying for dozens of job offers with no luck so far.
I’ve been offered a 3 day training course through a agency I’ve signed up with and yes I don’t get paid I was then told the sales pitch I’ll be out on my own the 4th day and I’ll be told week by week if I’m working 5 days which the agency aka salesman said shouldn’t be a problem.
I’m terrified is this the nom because as of now I’m employed full time and really don’t want to quit until a job is guaranteed.
I guess my question is is this the normal practice if I want experience do I have to jump in feet first and trust the agency?

“Agency” and “Trust” should only appear in a sentence with the word “DON`T” in it.
I for one would not easily give up a full time job to go on an agency job.

Where are you? Maybe someone will give advice on what is local to you, without that risk.

As much as unpaid work shouldn’t happen, observing another driver and then having him / her supervise you as you take the controls for the first time is extremely useful.

It is a risk to reward strategy really. If you do well on your three days you could be in somewhere on a decent enough rate and ongoing. Then again, it may be a pipe dream.

Truth be told there is work in the Glasgow area, but perhaps your first destination won’t be the destination you eventually want. Six months experience of driving / reversing these things will open up avenues and at a year of holding the category the insurance gets easier.

When you are applying, emphasise your large vehicle experience and sometimes the question can be asked of the insurer about your specific case.

Some will go on agency with nothing to lose as they aren’t in work anyway and it will work out fine. In your case leaving a permanent job is difficult, especially in the current climate of the cost of living crisis. Perhaps hold out for a permanent position and take the leap then, even if it isn’t what you see yourself doing long-term.

Thanks for replys guys really do appreciate them.
I live in ■■■■■■■■■■■ 12 miles north of Glasgow I’m bang in the centre of Scotland, I’ll be honest I’m desperate to get started but I think I know myself the answer to quitting a full time job to start with an agency it not sitting quite right with me yes I’m desperate to get started but I need to also know I’ve got a wage coming next week.
22 years driving buses buys you nothing it seems which I suppose I can agree with.
Two more questions,
1 Does holding your license for a year but not actually using it open more doors for you?
2 What should a class1 driver not accept as a hourly wage I see companies offering jobs at £11.50 a hour which I find insane.

Effectively holding the category for a year will open up more opportunities, mainly due to the insurance situation. Yes, this includes not driving an artic in anger since you passed your test. Go figure…

Driving is not a highly paid profession and there are still some companies who will insist on 50p more than the minimum wage being fair (probably no enhancement for overtime or weekends either). The argument may be along the lines of the fact that there is so much waiting involved etc etc. Having said this there are companies paying far more than this and with enhanced overtime / weekend / night rate to boot.

There is nothing stopping you going somewhere for experience and then making a sharp exit once you find something better. However, if you want one of the decent jobs, you need to be up to speed with your manoeuvres, which takes time.

On the positive side you are in a decent spot in terms of not needing to travel too far for decent enough work.

Think agency job covering weekends or whenever you are free from your day job might be the way to go. Try to marry your holiday up with one of the really busy periods for HGV drivers. Offer your services for that period and suddenly your new pass wont be as relevant. But I have seen people test the water of their new career purely as weekend agency drivers.
I have to be honest and say I have zero experience of HGV agencies but tons of dealings with agencies in my old career as an electrician. The great thing is siezing control away from the agency. As soon as they “need” you then you take control by telling them quite clearly when yuo are available and what rate you wont work under…That certainly worked for me when i used to do agency work as a spark. Maybe it’s different in driving, but the scenario is the same, they need you as much as you need them.

DarrenFraser:

I’m in the same situation, I have a full time non driving job and applied for a full time class 1 job with an agency where the ad said “new passes accepted conditions apply” the conditions turned out to be 2 days (unpaid) training with their instructor, I duly did the training and after was told they’d filled the position but another role was available a 45 Mini drive away from my home, I told them no and haven’t heard from them since.

Don’t get me wrong, the training was useful but it’s got me nowhere, I still can’t get a job and I’m still doing weekend agency work as I won’t quit my none driving job without permanent full time work and I recommend you don’t either.

chriswvtr:

DarrenFraser:

I’m in the same situation, I have a full time non driving job and applied for a full time class 1 job with an agency where the ad said “new passes accepted conditions apply” the conditions turned out to be 2 days (unpaid) training with their instructor, I duly did the training and after was told they’d filled the position but another role was available a 45 Mini drive away from my home, I told them no and haven’t heard from them since.

Don’t get me wrong, the training was useful but it’s got me nowhere, I still can’t get a job and I’m still doing weekend agency work as I won’t quit my none driving job without permanent full time work and I recommend you don’t either.

I thought there was a shortage? I am looking to renew my entitlements and this sounds daunting then…

Narc:

chriswvtr:

DarrenFraser:

I thought there was a shortage? I am looking to renew my entitlements and this sounds daunting then…

Renew…so you’re talking a matter of a hundred pounds or a few hundred? Not thousands! plus you have experience, ok not in the last 12 months so no royal mail for you.

chriswvtr:
apply” the conditions turned out to be 2 days (unpaid) training with their instructor,

Point is you didn’t pay for the training, so it doesn’t appear to be a scam, just them protecting themselves and their insurance claims.
Stick with it and I wish you luck.

I wouldn’t quit a full time job just yet. You can try getting an agency job 1 say a week if your legally can drive.
Most new passes fail the driving assessment on reversing. My advice to you would be to apply for as many jobs as you can so you can get some practise. Remember your purpose for the assessment is to get some practice and tips so dont be disheartened when you dont pass.

Eventually you will be able to pass an assessment and start your career.
That will be the time to leave your old job.