Real World Drivers' Hours

I’m brand new into the industry, having just passed my Class 2 and starting a new job next week, so apologies for my basic questions.

I understand the basics of drivers’ hours and breaks (although have yet to put it into practice, so am expecting lots of head scratching in the near future) but there are a few things I don’t understand:

1. How do the EU drivers’ hours/breaks work alongside the Working Time Directive (I think that’s the legislation)? I’ve heard people talk about working/driving for so long and then having a break that covers them for both sets of legislation, but am not sure of the actual times. I get the 4.5 hours driving with either a 15min & 30min break or one 45min break but am not sure of this “other way” of working (something like working/driving for 2 hours then taking a 50min break which covers you on both accounts?)?

2. I did a little bit of 7.5t driving years ago so when I put my card in the tacho next week will it show my last entry from 5 years ago? If so how do I cover the time in between on my manual entry? A 5 year rest? Will this cause any problems?

3. I understand the basic theory of 4.5 hours driving then a 45min break followed by another 4.5 hours driving but in the real world do companies expect you to drive for 4.5 hours without taking a break? The job I’m starting is long distance so the driving won’t be broken up with deliveries. If I was driving my car on holiday to somewhere at the other end of the country I’d plan on taking breaks after every couple of hours or so, just from a safety point of view. As a “professional driver” now am I expected to drive for 4.5 hours with no breaks?

Any help appreciated, thanks.

1 - breaks cover both at the same time
Example
Work 1 hour
Drive 3 hours
Work 2 hours
Break 15 mins - covers the WTD 6 hour rule and the first of a split driving time break
Drive 1.5 hours
Break 30 mins - second of the split driving time break as it has now got to 4.5 hours driving time and covers WTD
At this point the WTD 6 hour rule and the 4.5 driving time rule have both been reset

2 - the ? symbol will cover that

3 - the 4.5 driving time is a MAX so it is up to you as the driver when you take breaks within the 4.5 max limit

1. So you seem to have the basics of drivers hours covered so you just need to add WTD (Road Transport) in addition.
    WTD (RT) has 2 rules
  • You cannot work (that’s only drive or other work on your tacho) for more than 6 hours without a break. A break is any rest of 15 mins or more.
    ** For your total shift you need to take adequate total breaks as follows:-
  • less than 6 hrs= none at all
  • 9 hrs or less = 30 mins in total
  • over 9 hrs (up to 15 hrs which is a drivers hrs limit) = 45 mins.

As you know any valid break for one set of rules also counts as a valid break for the other set of rules (driving/WTD).

1. If it’s a normal tacho, ( ie not a stoneridge usual found in Scania) it will ask if you want a manual entry, just say no. And you will get the “?” Symbol on your card that ROG refers to.
    Stoneridge will ask rest until now, again say no and you might be asked for manual entry? Again say no, and should get"?"
  1. ■■■■ that ■■■■!!!
    At very least take a 15 in the middle and 30 after at most 4 hrs. You do not want to be hunting for parking as you’re about to run out of time.
    Stop when you want, you’re supposed to be professional enough to keep everyone safe.

stu675:
3. [zb] that [zb]!!!
At very least take a 15 in the middle and 30 after at most 4 hrs. You do not want to be hunting for parking as you’re about to run out of time.
Stop when you want, you’re supposed to be professional enough to keep everyone safe.

Correct. And if you need the best part of 9 hrs driving, to get back to the yard and home for eg, take other breaks in the second 4.5hrs to total 45+ minutes.
Then add the 30 minutes unused driving time from the 1st 4.5 hrs, to whatever is unused from the 2nd 4.5 hrs, to total 9 hrs driving.

Bear in mind, 9 hrs 5 mins (technically 9 hrs 1 min) is counted as an over 9 hrs, ie it’s the same as a 10 hrs drive. You only have 2 x 10 hr drives per fixed week.
It’s easy to slip over 9 hrs drive, when you’re not concerned about having to stop for a break dead on 4.5 hrs. You’ve done under 4.5hrs, then another under 4.5 hrs, had all your required breaks, “I’m golden for breaks, so I’m good to go for another while”, kind of relaxed attitude. So watch the driving time total, don’t get TOO relaxed about it.
This will all become second nature after some experience, so don’t get too uptight about it either.

Simon:
You only have 2 x 10 hr drives between weekend rests.

You have 2 x ten hr drives in a fixed (00hrs01 Mon to 23hr59 Sun) week.

You have 3 reduced daily rests between weekly (24hrs minimum) rests.

Franglais:

Simon:
You only have 2 x 10 hr drives between weekend rests.

You have 2 x ten hr drives in a fixed (00hrs01 Mon to 23hr59 Sun) week.

You have 3 reduced daily rests between weekly (24hrs minimum) rests.

Trust me to get it arse for elbow. You’d think I’d know this stuff after 30+ years driving trucks for a living :unamused: :unamused:
I’d better amend my post, to save the OP any confusion, not to save my blushes honest :blush:

That’s great advice from everyone, thanks very much to all.
Starting tomorrow morning so I’ll see how I go - fingers crossed : )

You might find this useful to refer to.
youtube.com/watch?v=H3_U_eoo9o8

If there’s a better video explaining both sets of rules, I’ve yet to see it.

stu675:

You can work 6 hours without a break.

If you go over 6 hours but don’t go over 9 hours you need a total of 30 minutes break before you finish your shift.

If you go over 9 hours you need a total of 45 minutes break before you finish your shift.

You can’t count breaks that are less than 15 minutes.

You can’t finish your shift on a break.

Your shift can’t go over 15 hours because you need at least a 9 hour reduced daily rest before 24 hours is up from the start of your shift.

carlston49:

stu675:

You can work 6 hours without a break.

If you go over 6 hours but don’t go over 9 hours you need a total of 30 minutes break before you finish your shift.

If you go over 9 hours you need a total of 45 minutes break before you finish your shift.

You can’t count breaks that are less than 15 minutes.

You can’t finish your shift on a break.

Your shift can’t go over 15 hours because you need at least a 9 hour reduced daily rest before 24 hours is up from the start of your shift.

Thanks for confirming what I said without adding anything new.

If the last entry on your driver card was 5 years ago have you checked that the card hasn’t expired, they’re only valid for 5 years.

Sent from my mobile via Tapatalk.

Its easy to forget the WTD, not as its a serious infringement.

Assuming you aren’t into running right up to 9 and 10 hours drives coupled with 13/15 hour days, if you have a 15 minute official break around after roughly 4 hours work which might be 2.5 to 3 hour’s drive time depending on what work you do, you then have lots of WTD time to spare and a 30 minute break before your 4.5 hours drive time is up and that will keep you legal for a typical normal working day.

This is just to keep you legal and avoiding infringements, you take as many breaks as and when you like above and beyond that.

If you’re pushed up to 13 and 15 hour days regularly then you have to be a bit more careful about spacing of breaks.

Authorities not bothered about WTD vut many companies are

Company not driver to keep an eye on 48 averages etc