Baptism of fire

Just done my first Class 1 shift last night. Seems like almost everything that could have went wrong, did - including losing the fuel card! No serious incidents though thankfully :laughing:

Anyone else had the first shift from hell on their first day?

Marky-p:
Just done my first Class 1 shift last night. Seems like almost everything that could have went wrong, did - including losing the fuel card! No serious incidents though thankfully :laughing:

That was your first shift?
With nothing to compare it to, how do you know it was at all bad?
…Watch this space…!

:smiley:

Franglais:

Marky-p:

That was your first shift?
With nothing to compare it to, how do you know it was at all bad?
…Watch this space…!

:smiley:

Well…I was hoping it would go kinda ‘smooth-ish’. Perhaps my expectations were too high!

Some things that seem like a major issue to you today, will just pass you by this time next month.
You are bound to be a bit tense, and everything will be heightened. Next shift will probably be easier.

Look calmly at all that happened: if you can alter your behaviour, could any be avoided?
If yes, learn and change. If no, expect the same, but don`t fret on it.

No disasters so far?
Good, and don`t worry, there is always tomorrow to get the adrenaline flowing again.

Marky-p:
Just done my first Class 1 shift last night. Seems like almost everything that could have went wrong, did - including losing the fuel card! No serious incidents though thankfully [emoji38]

What went wrong apart from losing the fuel card? I thought that everything took longer than it should on my first shift, but looking back, that’s just the nature of the job :slight_smile:

Sent from my DUB-LX1 using Tapatalk

Franglais:
Some things that seem like a major issue to you today, will just pass you by this time next month.
You are bound to be a bit tense, and everything will be heightened. Next shift will probably be easier.

Look calmly at all that happened: if you can alter your behaviour, could any be avoided?
If yes, learn and change. If no, expect the same, but don`t fret on it.

No disasters so far?
Good, and don`t worry, there is always tomorrow to get the adrenaline flowing again.

Good perspective

Goff118:

Marky-p:
Just done my first Class 1 shift last night. Seems like almost everything that could have went wrong, did - including losing the fuel card! No serious incidents though thankfully [emoji38]

What went wrong apart from losing the fuel card? I thought that everything took longer than it should on my first shift, but looking back, that’s just the nature of the job :slight_smile:

No real on-the-job training considering I’m a new pass (this is a multi national firm), essentially just handed keys and told to go…Got lost twice in North London (wtf truck satnav) and ended up in tight retail park not suitable for HGV’s which really put my reversing skills to the test…Two failed attempts at blindside reversing which blocked traffic…Then lost fuel card at end of shift.

On the face of it, it doesn’t seem much but boy did it test my patience. Would have been handy to have an experienced driver with me to show me the ropes of the job like some companies do.

Marky-p:

Goff118:

Marky-p:

No real on-the-job training considering I’m a new pass (this is a multi national firm), essentially just handed keys and told to go…Got lost twice in North London (wtf truck satnav) and ended up in tight retail park not suitable for HGV’s which really put my reversing skills to the test…Two failed attempts at blindside reversing which blocked traffic…Then lost fuel card at end of shift.

On the face of it, it doesn’t seem much but boy did it test my patience. Would have been handy to have an experienced driver with me to show me the ropes of the job like some companies do.

Ah wow, well done for holding it together. Right in at the deep end. Completely agree that you should have been given more information and a few shifts accompanied, but I bet you learnt more in that shift than you did in the whole of your training.

The next one will be easier I’m sure :slight_smile:

Goff118:

Marky-p:

Goff118:

Marky-p:

Ah wow, well done for holding it together. Right in at the deep end. Completely agree that you should have been given more information and a few shifts accompanied, but I bet you learnt more in that shift than you did in the whole of your training.

The next one will be easier I’m sure :slight_smile:

I learned a fair amount indeed!

Sent from my SM-A135F using Tapatalk

Marky-p:
No serious incidents though thankfully [emoji38]

Sounds like a breeze! [emoji106]
Good job, well done. (Cards are easily replaceable).
Well done on not turning a blindside reverse into a disaster, much better to fail it.

stu675:

Marky-p:
No serious incidents though thankfully [emoji38]

Sounds like a breeze! [emoji106]
Good job, well done. (Cards are easily replaceable).
Well done on not turning a blindside reverse into a disaster, much better to fail it.

Yep, I decided against potentially mauling parked cars on both sides in the road I was trying to back into :laughing:

To be honest, sometimes it’s better to be thrown in at the deep end but it depends on the person/circumstances. Some sink, some soar. Sounds like you did the latter.

Driving a HGV is easy. Doing it well and rescuing situations is the harder bit and with time you learn not to get yourself into them in the first place or can at least see them before they occur. Well done brother.

I started my first shift by reversing straight under the kingpin and smacking the trailer on the back of the tractor unit. Had to get two FLT drivers to lift it back over. Then headed off to my first delivery, which was a tight blind sided “S” reverse, which took me about an hour and a half to get in.

Things got better after that though.

toonsy:
To be honest, sometimes it’s better to be thrown in at the deep end but it depends on the person/circumstances. Some sink, some soar. Sounds like you did the latter.

Driving a HGV is easy. Doing it well and rescuing situations is the harder bit and with time you learn not to get yourself into them in the first place or can at least see them before they occur. Well done brother.

Well…I don’t know if I’m soaring just yet. I’ve just come off another night shift that was arguably tougher when it came to awkward reverse manoeuvres. Tight and blind underground service bays galore it was.

FatLarry68:
I started my first shift by reversing straight under the kingpin and smacking the trailer on the back of the tractor unit. Had to get two FLT drivers to lift it back over. Then headed off to my first delivery, which was a tight blind sided “S” reverse, which took me about an hour and a half to get in.

Things got better after that though.

Sounds like you had fun! I had an blindside s-reverse last night as it happens - took me ages.

To be honest going straight onto nights isn’t exactly easing you into lorry world, everything’s ten times harder at night.

Don’t worry how long the job takes, it takes as long as it takes now and it’ll take as long as it takes if you’re still doing it in 30 years time.

Juddian:
everything’s ten times harder at night.

Exactly