driver salaries

Hi, eddie stobart advertise their driver salaries as:

Days £32k – £34k (including allowances) based on average hours. Nights £36k – £37k (including allowances) based on average hours. Tramping £41k – £47k (including allowances) based on average hours.

1. What are the allowances they are advertising? Presumably meal allowances, but anything else?

Are these salaries high, low or average compared to other companies?

Thanks

Night out money.

I’ll leave someone else to give their thoughts on the wages because I’m retired and out of touch with current rates.

thanks

tachograph:
Night out money.

I’ll leave someone else to give their thoughts on the wages because I’m retired and out of touch with current rates.

Not just night out money.
Trampers should receive; £26.20 per night, £10 meal allowance per day for => 10 hrs, £5 incidental allowance per day. This is provided for drivers by govt/inland revenue. An employer completes a claim form on your behalf, claims the money and then pays employee.

Refer to EIM 66130 on Inland revenue.

jessejazza:

tachograph:
Night out money.

Trampers should receive; £26.20 per night, £10 meal allowance per day for => 10 hrs, £5 incidental allowance per day. This is provided for drivers by govt/inland revenue. An employer completes a claim form on your behalf, claims the money and then pays employee.

I think you misunderstand how these allowances work!

HMRC allows your employer to pay those sums to you free of tax and NI. the government doesn’t pay them!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Roymondo:

jessejazza:

tachograph:
Night out money.

I think you misunderstand how these allowances work!

HMRC allows your employer to pay those sums to you free of tax and NI. the government doesn’t pay them!

Nor is a company compelled to pay that maximum allowed amount permissable by HMRC.

My mate quit on the first day at Stobart. He was told they will make him do 65/70 hour weeks and if he doesn’t comply they will make his life hell and make him want to leave. Not exactly a good sign when the trainers are telling you that.

I went to a Stobart recruitment day a few weeks ago.
From what I could gather was £15 per shift allowance (tax free) and £25ish night out money.
Very shifty as the hourly rate, but I’m been made to believe its under £11.00hr
I mean what is ‘average’ hours■■?

Having said all that it came over as good opportunity for some people. Fully funded training c+e couple of days with the trainers at the yard, 4 weeks with a mentor then off on your own.

However you are time barred to them for 2 years or I guess you’ll be paying the training fee back (fair enough).

They get cheap drivers, you get your experience allowing you to then move on to better things.

I havn’t ruled out going there myself, however i’m self funding my own training so not tied to a company for long periods, as I live very near to logistics central with lots of big distribution centres on my door step, including Moran, DHL, M&S, Maritime, Amazon, Kehne Nagel etc etc.

C+E booked for September

It sure makes comparing wages more difficult. You don’t have a basic hourly rate in the advert and you don’t know how many hours you are doing for the quoted average earnings.

A subsistence payment is sod all use to anyone if your hourly rate is reduced in order to pay for it. It isn’t a subsistence payment in my opinion, the company is just ring-fencing some of your wage in order to reduce the tax burden.

I work for them currently, as they were the only company willing to give me a chance without experience.

All in all, Stobart have something like tier payments, so basically your wage is dependent on the area in which your depo is situated.

Basic pay is roughly £10.60 per hour but with tier payment and meal allowance it gives you £13.10.

Overtime is paid with flat rate. Weekly hours are 55-60, so long hours every day.

I wouldn’t recommend it to an experienced driver, but for a rookie wanting experience- yes.

Eventually the experience gained here will pay off.

Roadkill_Badger:
Basic pay is roughly £10.60 per hour but with tier payment and meal allowance it gives you £13.10.

Overtime is paid with flat rate. Weekly hours are 55-60, so long hours every day.

So unlike many companies who pay overtime at the same rate as your contracted hours (which is bad enough) Stobarts actually pay you LESS per hour for any overtime worked!

Smoke and mirrors…

I am a new pass working for one of the big firms. They pay a day rate. On top of that they pay a fuel bonus, retention bonus and £10 a day meal allowance. This is up to 11.5 hours and works out at 12.52 an hour. The earlier you finish the higher your theoretical pound per hour becomes.

They do try and max your hours however although at the minute I am averaging around the 11 hour mark a day going through my previous logs. Get paid extra to go to Lidl and extra to do central London so you end up closer to the £14 a hour mark.

It’s not the best I agree I came from a job where I was getting 17ish pounds a hour for 42 hours work a week but I had to manage 50+ people and deal with horrible people. Now I am on my own and at peace.

After a year or so experience I will look to change and do something different. I am doing fridges at the moment but will like to dip my feet in most things to build up my C.V.

Well I know someone that works here and they said its good to work

noobilad:
Hi, eddie stobart advertise their driver salaries as:

Days £32k – £34k (including allowances) based on average hours. Nights £36k – £37k (including allowances) based on average hours. Tramping £41k – £47k (including allowances) based on average hours.

1. What are the allowances they are advertising? Presumably meal allowances, but anything else?

Are these salaries high, low or average compared to other companies?

Thanks

What shift pattern would you be pulling for those salaries? 6/2?

Wow…

Why would you? 10 quid odd an hour. It’s scandalous.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Truckulent:
Wow…

The guy spoke to said they have anti social hour rate. Considrably night allowance out. food allowance. location allowance. no break deductions and you get a holiday

Manjriver25:

Truckulent:
Wow…

The guy spoke to said they have anti social hour rate. Considrably night allowance out. food allowance. location allowance. no break deductions and you get a holiday

You don’t get it, do you? Their “considerable night out allowance”, meal allowance and all the other guff (You get a holiday!! FFS this is 2022 and employees are ■■■■■■■ well entitled to paid holidays!) is simply a way to make their hourly rate look a little less pathetic than it really is.

Not as i have the slightest intention of ever working for the mob whatever name it goes by, but now that Culina have taken over Stobbies is the Culina pay scheme coming too…not as i have the foggiest idea if its any better than Stob’s scheme.

Roymondo:

Manjriver25:

Truckulent:
Wow…

You don’t get it, do you? Their “considerable night out allowance”, meal allowance and all the other guff (You get a holiday!! FFS this is 2022 and employees are [zb] well entitled to paid holidays!) is simply a way to make their hourly rate look a little less pathetic than it really

Do you work there then to understand any better?

Manjriver25:

Roymondo:

Manjriver25:

Truckulent:
Wow…

You don’t get it, do you? Their “considerable night out allowance”, meal allowance and all the other guff (You get a holiday!! FFS this is 2022 and employees are [zb] well entitled to paid holidays!) is simply a way to make their hourly rate look a little less pathetic than it really

Do you work there then to understand any better?

You don’t need to work there to understand how it works. Stobarts payscales have been posted here a few times, even direct screenshots that show exactly how they arrive at their “hourly equivalent” by including night-out money and daily meal allowances in the top line. They sell it to the drivers as being a way of getting more of the gross paid without tax, but while it does this it also means that any overtime you work is paid at a reduced rate. And overtime you will indeed work as they like to squeeze as many hours out of their drivers as they can.