New Pass seeking advice

Hi,

I’ve just passed my class one coming from a car. I’m currently on an apprenticeship scheme that has supplied all the training for me. It’s a 12 month long program and I’ve only just entered month six. The company I’m at is plant machinery and only has rigid vehicles, of which will take me a long time to progress up. It’ll probably take a month or two to even get onto 7.5 tonne. Doing the apprenticeship scheme means I’ll be on near minimum wage all the way up to early next year, even though I now have my class 1 licence.

After driving the artic which is something I’ve always wanted to do, it’s a bit naff having to go back to between 3.5 and 7.5 tonne for probably the next 2-3 months at least. I’m just wondering what you guys might do in my situation? I’ve yet to do my Mod 4 but that’s something and nothing and I have the means to put myself through that. I do enjoy my job but it’s a long commute (70 odd miles a day) and the money is quite poor and I also don’t get to drive any artics. On top of all that, it will be ages before I even get to the bigger stuff.

Do I look into getting my mod 4 done and finding something else which is more driving based or do I hold out here on this wage and hope that I get progressed quickly?

I understand it’s quite a personal thing and everyone’s answer may be different… I’m just looking for some insight as really it seems quite silly to stay where I’m at.

Thanks in advance

ps. I can’t find anything in my contract stating that I’ll need to pay back any money should I decide to leave.

AaronBRL:
Hi,

I’ve just passed my class one coming from a car. I’m currently on an apprenticeship scheme that has supplied all the training for me. It’s a 12 month long program and I’ve only just entered month six. The company I’m at is plant machinery and only has rigid vehicles, of which will take me a long time to progress up. It’ll probably take a month or two to even get onto 7.5 tonne. Doing the apprenticeship scheme means I’ll be on near minimum wage all the way up to early next year, even though I now have my class 1 licence.

After driving the artic which is something I’ve always wanted to do, it’s a bit naff having to go back to between 3.5 and 7.5 tonne for probably the next 2-3 months at least. I’m just wondering what you guys might do in my situation? I’ve yet to do my Mod 4 but that’s something and nothing and I have the means to put myself through that. I do enjoy my job but it’s a long commute (70 odd miles a day) and the money is quite poor and I also don’t get to drive any artics. On top of all that, it will be ages before I even get to the bigger stuff.

Do I look into getting my mod 4 done and finding something else which is more driving based or do I hold out here on this wage and hope that I get progressed quickly?

I understand it’s quite a personal thing and everyone’s answer may be different… I’m just looking for some insight as really it seems quite silly to stay where I’m at.

Thanks in advance

ps. I can’t find anything in my contract stating that I’ll need to pay back any money should I decide to leave.

I assume that because its an apprenticeship you are under 25? You might have to stay put and get some experience under your belt because a lot of companies wont touch you without experience, either because its their policy or their insurance providers restriction. You might get lucky but I wouldn’t count on it.
When I came back to lorry driving 5 years ago I couldn’t get a start and I was 48 and had 2 years class 2 experience but no one would touch me because I hadn’t driven one for about 15 years.
You could maybe try and get some work through an agency when your hours legally allow you to, and maybe tell your employers that you are doing this to get some time behind the wheel, you never know it might give them a push because they will think you are after leaving.

shullbit:

AaronBRL:
Hi,

Thanks in advance

I assume that because its an apprenticeship you are under 25? You might have to stay put and get some experience under your belt because a lot of companies wont touch you without experience, either because its their policy or their insurance providers restriction. You might get lucky but I wouldn’t count on it.
When I came back to lorry driving 5 years ago I couldn’t get a start and I was 48 and had 2 years class 2 experience but no one would touch me because I hadn’t driven one for about 15 years.
You could maybe try and get some work through an agency when your hours legally allow you to, and maybe tell your employers that you are doing this to get some time behind the wheel, you never know it might give them a push because they will think you are after leaving.

Yeah I’m 21. I wouldn’t even consider leaving my current role without something else lined up. I do believe I am unable to work for other places at my current job, and even if I did… I drive a lot during the week without needing a tacho so it would change things in terms of driving hours. Driving on the weekends would have been perfect otherwise.

AaronBRL:
I drive a lot during the week without needing a tacho so it would change things in terms of driving hours. Driving on the weekends would have been perfect otherwise.

If you do non tacho work/drive say mon to fri then you can drive LGVs for one day every other weekend

AaronBRL:

I would start with that. Ask them to point it out to you in something you’ve already signed.
It might even prompt them to give you something you want to drive if they think you want to leave.

The company involved have been straight with you so far.
You knew what was going to be expected from you when you started.
Now you don’t want to keep up your side of the agreement…?

trevorking1964:

Have they been straight though? Maybe they gave him the impression he would be driving artics by now? Have you never been lied to by an employer Trev? Maybe its the employer who is not keeping up their side of the agreement.

Don’t understand why they would put you through class 1 if they don’t have class 1s.

shullbit:

trevorking1964:

Have they been straight though? Maybe they gave him the impression he would be driving artics by now? Have you never been lied to by an employer Trev? Maybe its the employer who is not keeping up their side of the agreement.

As he hasn’t said as much…
It is an assumption on my part though. If I’d been lied to in that way, I’d have put it in the original post.
Yes i have been lied to as it happens.