New driver, 2 job offers

Kamiljan:
Hi everyone,

I’ve been offered two jobs and I’ve got a bit of a hard time trying to figure out which job I should go for, both completely different from each other and both class1. I’m a new driver and want to make sure I enjoy the job I pick.

One job is with John Mitchell and that’s container work. 45 hours a week Monday to Friday, 30 mins deducted for break and you get your own lorry. 12.75 an hour. OT 16.96 and Sunday over 20. My dads friend worked there and said the job itself is pretty easy but a lot of sitting around.

The other one is with GXO iceland multi drop Monday to Friday one week and working Saturday the next with midweek day off. Money is a bit better at 14 an hour with any overtime at 20. When I spoke to one driver who worked there he said people complain about the job a lot but you get really good money. Guaranteed 50 hours a week and have to unload the lorry yourself.

Anyone worked for these companies before and any advice on helping with my decision?

Much appreciated,

Thanks

I’m guessing that’s iceland livingston I work out of deeside depot.
The Job is what you make of it the only issue is the way the trailers are loaded so say you have 2 stores you off load the the first store chill and ambient then you have to move the second stores chill and ambient to get to the first stores frozen which will be a mixture of cages and pallets its like playing je ga in real life.

From what I have heard its all very regimental at livingston they expect you out the yard in 30 minutes and only allow you a 1 hour break if that’s what need to cover your shift. Some stores will test your reversing skills.
It depends what start time window they give you the aspects of the job are trunking to warrington depot and back, collections from suppliers and 2 types of store delivers one is lock and drop where you have the keys to the store open it up and off load the stock into the freezer, chiller and stock area or normal store deliveries that once its off the back of the tail lift its the stores responsibility to drag it into the shop.
I think livingston cover most of Scotland and down to Middlesbrough one side and down to Carlisle on the other. Decent new wagons and trailers wwll maintained and any defects get sorted straight away. Mixture of trailer sizes 10.5m 12.5m 13m 13 6m and double deck trailers.
Also thought on top of that £14 there was a shift allowance or something livingston got paid of around £3

If you want any more questions answering drop me a private message