Tacho manual entry needed at the start of shift?

Hi I’ve just started my first job this week as a class 2 driver.
The tacho videos I’ve seen on YouTube suggest that you record your daily rest as a manual entry when you begin your shift but the person who is with me in the vehicle said there is no need to do that. We just set it to other work while we do our vehicle checks and get the paperwork and then set off.

Is this ok or are they telling me the wrong information?

I had this same problem and decided it’s probably best to learn to do manual entries just so you know you’re covering you’re own ■■■.

Some of the replies to the thread I made here trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 5&t=172473 might be useful.

While it’s true that a lot of HGV drivers never do manual entries I definitely agree with smog that it’s best to learn to do them.

In the UK you’re required to do manual entries for any work that was not recorded on the tachograph, for instance a lot of drivers will spend some time at the start and end of every shift getting or handing in paperwork and keys, legally that time should be recorded on the tachograph by means of a manual entry.

To be honest, once you’ve got used to doing manual entries it takes so little time that I could never see any reason not to do them.

Silverz:
The tacho videos I’ve seen on YouTube suggest that you record your daily rest as a manual entry when you begin your shift but the person who is with me in the vehicle said there is no need to do that. We just set it to other work while we do our vehicle checks and get the paperwork and then set off.

The record on the tachograph should coincide with the time that you start getting paid, put it that way.

In my opinion always putting your card in at 5 minutes past the hour or something like that is just asking for it to be queried, so better to avoid that situation by doing an entry to the start time, which was probably on the hour.

The person you were with was correct that a period of other work should be shown before driving off. If you don’t do this, guaranteed you will get questions about how you managed to do your checks.

Silverz:

You must enter as a manual entry the entire prior 28 days of what you were doing, broken down into other work (if any for another employer or self employed) or rest. Before you start a job under EU tacho rules.
The only legal alternative is to write it on tacho paper or tacho discs.

Silverz:

Thread about recording manual entries here, (cracking down apparently) trucknetuk.com/phpBB/viewto … 2&t=172462

One of the best simplest youtube videos expaining manual entries Ive see to date.
Tacho manual Entry

Simulator to practice

https://www.se5000.com/simulator/default.php?version=7.5&withdrawal=2w&