Containers work?

Hi everyone I new new class 1 driver. I work buy agency for the moment. But I have offered a job on containers. From Kirkby in Ashfield where the depo is to Southampton or Felixstowe this work is on nights. But I not sure about working time. Is possible to back home everyday? Because I don’t want stay in the truck. Anyone work maby on this system and can advise me?

KamTruck88:
Hi everyone I new a new class 1 driver. I work by agency at the moment. But I have been offered a job on containers. From Kirkby-in-Ashfield where the depot is to Southampton or Felixstowe. This work is on nights. But I am not sure about working time. Is it possible to be back home everyday? Because I don’t want to stay in the truck. Anyone work on this system and can advise me?

If you look at the route by car on google maps, each route is just over 180 miles and just over 3 hours by car.

Just over 3 hours by car, will often take about 4 hours by truck. Any problems on the road and you might not make it before your 4.5 hours driving time is up and you will then need to take a 45 minute break before arriving at the port.

If you need to take a 45 minute break before arriving at the port, you will need to take another 45 minute break before you get back to Kirkby-in-Ashfield, because you are likely to go over your 4.5 hours driving time before you get back to Kirkby-in-Ashfield.

If you have to wait a long time at Southampton or Felixstowe, your day will be very long.

If you are kept waiting for long at the ports, expect to sleep in the truck.

With over 360 miles of driving each day, coming across problems on the road will be a regular occurrence.

The best container jobs have a short drive and lots of waiting on full pay. There aren’t many experienced drivers who would want that job, which is why it’s being offered to new drivers.

Even if you make it back to Kirkby-in-Ashfield each day, you may find that your working day is often close to 15 hours. That doesn’t give you much rest before repeating the next day.

Tiredness is a recipe for accidents, especially for new drivers.

Sleeping in a truck at the side of the road with no facilities, no kitchen, no bathroom, breathing in traffic fumes at the side of a road all night, being woken up from passing traffic, having your diesel stolen, etc.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Do it, and see what its like, fall back to agency if its not for you… plus then you get the expereince of containers and docks…