I think I messed up on my tacho

I did my first week driving last week after passing my class 2. It was for an agency and I was told I’d get some help with using the tacho.

The guy basically said to put the card in, ignore the manual entry prompt and away you go. On the first day I drove a class 2 rigid, then did two days in a small truck with no tacho, then got back in the class 2 on day 4. Having nearly forgotten to even put my card in the second time and still getting to grips with my first week I completely forgot that I might have needed to do something about the 2 days in between.

Should I have made a manual entry about the two days? If so, what’s the consequence of not doing it and what the hell do I do about it now?

Also, where/how do I go about downloading the card info when I’m only doing agency work?

smog:
I did my first week driving last week after passing my class 2. It was for an agency and I was told I’d get some help with using the tacho.

The guy basically said to put the card in, ignore the manual entry prompt and away you go. On the first day I drove a class 2 rigid, then did two days in a small truck with no tacho, then got back in the class 2 on day 4. Having nearly forgotten to even put my card in the second time and still getting to grips with my first week I completely forgot that I might have needed to do something about the 2 days in between.

Should I have made a manual entry about the two days? If so, what’s the consequence of not doing it and what the hell do I do about it now?

Also, where/how do I go about downloading the card info when I’m only doing agency work?

First week done and no one killed? Well Done!
Do Not Worry… :smiley:

Yes, you should have made a manual entry.
I would recommend you not to try any corrections now. If you don`t have some reliable help, you sound as if you could make matters worse rather than better.

The most likely outcome is that nothing at all will happen.
Now, I`m not saying that you should always leave out manual entries, you should get to know how to make them correctly, and should always do so properly.

Your card must be downloaded for the records of the vehicle operator. (The “O” licence holder/owner)
Maybe there is some facility at their depot, or possibly the agency could download your card and e-mail the data to them.
It is your responsibility to make your card available for download, but if they fail to download data that is not your fault.
But, best to keep your card in your possession at all times. Up to them to arrange downloads, not you.

Franglais:
Your card must be downloaded for the records of the vehicle operator. (The “O” licence holder/owner)
Maybe there is some facility at their depot, or possibly the agency could download your card and e-mail the data to them.
It is your responsibility to make your card available for download, but if they fail to download data that is not your fault.
But, best to keep your card in your possession at all times. Up to them to arrange downloads, not you.

So if they ask me to come in to download my card then I’m obliged to go, but if they don’t ask it’s on their head. That’s worth knowing, cheers!

smog:

1. For none HGV working days you can write manual records on pieces of printout paper, don’t forget to put the date on them and sign them.
    When you use a tachograph after doing days of none tachograph work the time from the end of the last tachograph shift to the start of the current tachograph shift should be recorded with the ? symbol.

2. You have a legal obligation to make your driver card available for download, when on add hoc agency work I always offered my card to the transport office for download, it’s then up to them whether or not they download the card, your only legal obligation is to make the driver card available for download which you have if you offer it to them.

tachograph:

1. For none HGV working days you can write manual records on pieces of printout paper, don’t forget to put the date on them and sign them.
    When you use a tachograph after doing days of none tachograph work the time from the end of the last tachograph shift to the start of the current tachograph shift should be recorded with the ? symbol.

I was actually wondering that also. It’s not “other work” then? Would it be other work if there was no driving involved?

smog:

tachograph:

I was actually wondering that also. It’s not “other work” then? Would it be other work if there was no driving involved?

For the EU regulations the driving of the none tachograph vehicles is classed as other work and the work would be if there was no driving involved.

However because the work was done on days that you did not drive in-scope of EU regulations you do not have to enter the times directly into a tachograph, you can manually write them on printing paper/charts ec’t.

A driver shall record as other work any time spent as described in point (e) of Article 4 as well as any time spent
driving a vehicle used for commercial operations that do not fall within the scope of this Regulation, and shall record any periods
of availability, as defined in point (b) of Article 3 of Directive 2002/15/EC, in accordance with point (b)(iii) of Article 34(5) of
Regulation (EU) No 165/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council(12). This record shall be entered either manually
on a record sheet or printout or by use of manual input facilities on recording equipment

Point (e) of article 4 states that:

‘other work’ means all activities which are defined as working time in Article 3(a) of Directive 2002/15/EC
except ‘driving’, including any work for the same or another employer, within or outside of the transport sector;

Usually you have to pick up keys and paperwork before heading to the vehicle and similarly handing in keys at the end. The DVSA may ask for an explanation why there wasn’t ‘lead-in’ and ‘lead-out’ time because you were on duty but nothing was recorded on the tachograph.

If you genuinely pitch up at work and head straight for the vehicle or if you are a tramper out and about, then you could genuinely start work when you put the card in and also finish when you eject.

The guy that told you not to bother doing a manual entry probably doesn’t know how to do one. You would be surprised how many drivers have been driving for x number of years and have never done a manual entry. I’m led to believe that they can get away with this without too much bother and even when they get stopped they can explain it away by claiming they start work at the vehicle. It is kind of difficult for the DVSA to prove otherwise at the roadside.

If you ever work for one of the bigger players, you won’t survive very long if you can’t do a manual entry because the bigger operators are quite squeaky clean when it comes to things like that.

Noremac:
Usually you have to pick up keys and paperwork before heading to the vehicle and similarly handing in keys at the end. The DVSA may ask for an explanation why there wasn’t ‘lead-in’ and ‘lead-out’ time because you were on duty but nothing was recorded on the tachograph.

If you genuinely pitch up at work and head straight for the vehicle or if you are a tramper out and about, then you could genuinely start work when you put the card in and also finish when you eject.

The guy that told you not to bother doing a manual entry probably doesn’t know how to do one. You would be surprised how many drivers have been driving for x number of years and have never done a manual entry. I’m led to believe that they can get away with this without too much bother and even when they get stopped they can explain it away by claiming they start work at the vehicle. It is kind of difficult for the DVSA to prove otherwise at the roadside.

If you ever work for one of the bigger players, you won’t survive very long if you can’t do a manual entry because the bigger operators are quite squeaky clean when it comes to things like that.

I’m already noticing plenty of the “Nah, it’ll be fine” attitude. I’ve just spent ages watching youtube on how to do manual entries, so I reckon I’ll be ok from now on.

smog:

So if they ask me to come in to download my card then I’m obliged to go, but if they don’t ask it’s on their head. That’s worth knowing, cheers!

Absolutely not! Making it available means, if they come to you, and can download it on your doorstep. Alternatively if they offer another shift, then download before and after would be reasonable.

smog:

Franglais:

smog:

Absolutely not! Making it available means, if they come to you, and can download it on your doorstep. Alternatively if they offer another shift, then download before and after would be reasonable.

stu675:

smog:

I meant to say that as well. If you don’t have a shift you don’t go back in for any reason. You were there at the end of your shift and had your card for them to download then. If they didn’t direct you to the card reader at any point then that is on their head.

Noremac:

stu675:

smog:

I meant to say that as well. If you don’t have a shift you don’t go back in for any reason. You were there at the end of your shift and had your card for them to download then. If they didn’t direct you to the card reader at any point then that is on their head.

To be honest when I was driving on agency I wouldn’t necessarily wait to be directed to download my driver card, if it wasn’t asked for I would ask them if they wanted to download my car, sometimes people forget things especially when the office gets busy.