Agencies & job adverts - ever had this happen?

Agencies like marmite love em or hate em…

Usually their not your real friend, you may think they are but their not, some may give the new driver in their life some love over you, some are measured on the number of sign ups in a month, so just a tick in the box for some…
however some are good, genuine and look after you.

#Adverts, offering great rates and excellent shift patterns…

You may see an advert with great rates :smiley: , a good shift pattern, and benefits, so you get in touch…

Your asked to go into their office, any questions they offer to answer once they get you in the office, due to competiton,and other reasons, they cant tell you the company or role until you go in (REDFLAG !!)
Your asked in, before you get chance to ask questions your checked to have a drivers licence, then handed a application pack, and told you can chat about the role once complete, so you go through filling in forms, doing written tests then when it comes to the role you applied for, sometimes your met with …

"The position your asking about we have managed to fill at the moment - however - We have another opportunity for you…(BIG SMILE) "

Then they go on to discribe a role :open_mouth: that you wouldn’t of travelled the distance you have, sat and filled in a phone book size of paperwork, completed a written test.
… because the shift pattern is not what your looking for, in fact it ■■■■■, the hours are either ridiculously short or long, some not even offering overtime, with advise you’ll usually finish early so it can work in your favour.
maybe if you had seen an advert for that role, you wouldn’t of bothered as not suitable.

Ever happen ?

#Driving assesment in house…newbie trap, or genuine devlopment…
You respond to an advert, that will lead to work once completed, but needs an inhouse assesment, unfortunately it cant be done for 2 or 3 weeks, but they will also give you some coaching too for a day if new, you maybe wait for this , they appear more invested in you than others have been, so you wait and do the assesment, and finish thinking your going to get to start that job applied for at the start, only to get the response

"The position your asking about we have managed to fill at the moment, as its been a while since we talked about it - however - We have another opportunity for you…(BIG SMILE) "

like above, but your invested now, maybe waiting a period before doing the assesment, thinking all will be well, when reality is you’ve been taken off the market for a period,
more likely to take anything as the need to earn has increased due to waiting… planed ?, maybe maybe not ?

Ever happened ?

#THE FAKE PROMISE
Agency promise a role, as it’s public knowledge that a good company has purchased lots of new vehicles, and so would be excpected to be taking on many new drivers, they say your a good candidate and they can put your name forward once their ready to take on the drivers as the fleet is still being comissioned, offering an alternative to you, to keep you going, rates are less but once that company was ready to take aditional drivers, you’ll be first in line… then comes a certain time period and you ask about it, they say contract went to someone else and brush it off as nothing…

As for reviews on google, Indeed etc, other peoples expereince may not be the one you will have, so unless masses of bad reviews in the current period, maybe best ignored… althougth if you come across one, and the responses to every bad review are met with responses from the company, calling them all fake or similar, with detrimental responses, you’d have to ask yourself would you want to have to deal with this company if something went wrong and the attitude seen to any negative feedback.

Agencies MARMITE… love em or hate em, use them or be used… part of the game I guess…
*There are good agencies out there, but finding them, and a good consultant, is not as common as it should be…

TonkaBoy:
Agencies MARMITE… love em or hate em, use them or be used… part of the game I guess…
*There are good agencies out there, but finding them, and a good consultant, is not as common as it should be…

In a 10yr+ period of agency hopping I have found 2x good consultants who I clung to like I’m the ■■■■■■ on there shovel. At first it seemed like I was ‘stalking’ them, but then we all settled down to realise that they were job hopping just as much as me in the vain hope of finding a good one to work for.

Agencies only exist because there is a long learning process to go through before you finally realise exactly what is what & the awful dawn of reality hits you that you are nothing but an exploited resource.

The adverts are quite often misleading and might be quoting rates that you would only get after 12 weeks or may be quoting rates inclusive of holiday pay and things like that. The adverts are there to get as much interest as possible.

Yes, there are quite often promises which never seem to materialise and the consultants know this. All they care about is getting people out day to day to make the agency money, not about your career, your progression, your work/life balance. Wasting six months of a driver’s life sending him/her to a dead-end position is not something the agency is worried about.

It gets worse than this of course and some of the smaller agencies will charge exorbitant fees to the client and pay the driver or worker bare minimum. Literally to the point where the agency is making not far off what the driver / worker / labourer is making per hour. Yes, the smaller agencies will keep money that should be yours and no they won’t lose any sleep over it.

I would say to go with a bigger agency and look for work that is temporary ongoing. Insist on PAYE and don’t accept pay rates that are too low, even in the first 12 weeks. Always keep on top of how much holiday you have accrued and either take the holidays or ask for the holiday pay when you finish with the agency. If you aren’t proactive with claiming holidays and holiday pay, you guessed it, the agency will only be too happy to pocket it.

I’ve had a new one today… An agency response when I’ve asked if it’s PAYE or Umbrella… A hybrid…? I’m not getting involved with it, but wondered what the general consensus on the below is?

"All of our workers are setup on a PAYE-Umbrella model through FSCA accredited payroll providers.
Unfortunately, we do not run any in-house PAYE payroll."

"Well you are PAYE, and employed as a PAYE worker with the payroll provider.
The only difference is the rates we quote are enhanced above standard PAYE rates to include Holiday accrual and Employer NI.
So a PAYE rate of £16.00 should be £18.50 p/h for example."