Store Deliveries -- Reversing

Has anyone used this ■■ 15m HGV Turntable - Asda, Bearsden, looks pretty cool if honest hahaha, or are looks deciving :laughing:

Reversing & Superstores…?
Question mainly to new drivers, Im a returning driver and been a long long while, so count myself as one too, and reversing I know takes time to get accuracy up to a good level regardless of past expereince, and due to this avoiding certain jobs with Supermarkets, not sure if I need to and why asking, as a long long LONG time ago I used to deliver for a cheap retailer… and their bays and tipping points reflected this, back then I had plenty of current expereince for the time, and no real need to think about reversing too much, but today I know I still need more time reversing to get back to that level, and why curious how tight or rather technical are they today, as some store jobs seem paid okay and many about…

how troublesome are they today, for newbies, expect the expereinced dont find them challenging or do they ?
for which chains ?
any specific stores?
and does one stand out as the worst in England lol ?

Hey, not seen one of those before!

I’m a new pass and my only work so far has been for Tesco through an agency, so I can only judge that chain. Each store has its own risk assessment, so there are clear directions to follow for the manouevre onto the bay. Lots of them don’t include the bins or empty cages strewn all over the place, but as a new driver they are very helpful as a guide.

So far, I’d say I have delivered to around 20 stores, and managed to get all trailers on the bay in a reasonable amount of time. The good thing with the job is that there is no time pressure, and nobody stood there judging the reverse, so you can take your time to get it right.

For the most difficult store I’ve delivered to: google.com/maps/@51.6995424 … 312!8i6656

The slope is worse than it looks fully loaded and it’s a blindside around a wall. I didn’t enjoy that one too much but managed to get it on within around 15 minutes. I later heard a story that one agency driver delivering there gave up and they had to send another driver to reverse it for him.

So all in all I’d say as a returning driver you will be fine after a few shifts with a company like Tesco. As I say, I’m not sure how the other major supermarkets operate, but I image it’s similar.

Thanks Goff118

Goff118:
Hey, not seen one of those before!

I’m a new pass and my only work so far has been for Tesco through an agency, so I can only judge that chain. Each store has its own risk assessment, so there are clear directions to follow for the manouevre onto the bay. Lots of them don’t include the bins or empty cages strewn all over the place, but as a new driver they are very helpful as a guide.

So far, I’d say I have delivered to around 20 stores, and managed to get all trailers on the bay in a reasonable amount of time. The good thing with the job is that there is no time pressure, and nobody stood there judging the reverse, so you can take your time to get it right.

For the most difficult store I’ve delivered to: google.com/maps/@51.6995424 … 312!8i6656

The slope is worse than it looks fully loaded and it’s a blindside around a wall. I didn’t enjoy that one too much but managed to get it on within around 15 minutes. I later heard a story that one agency driver delivering there gave up and they had to send another driver to reverse it for him.

So all in all I’d say as a returning driver you will be fine after a few shifts with a company like Tesco. As I say, I’m not sure how the other major supermarkets operate, but I image it’s similar.

That looks easy enough for a blindside, nice wide gate, but it beats me why they cant let you drive in to that yard and then goodside it onto the bay on the right…unless it is the bay furthest away, there looks plenty enough room. Do you HAVE to adhere to the pointy shoe risk assesment?
If you switch the street view to 2015 the lorry is on the first bay and you get a good perspective of how much room there is.

Sorry, it’s the bay closest to the gate and it is a good side reverse actually, but you can’t see where you are heading because of the building.

I really struggled with the space in there last time but I’d like to try it again to see how I manage it now.