Does anyone else think like me when reversing?

So as per my intro I passed class 1 last week but I thought I’d share my thoughts on reversing sand see fit anyone else thinks like my brain does.

On any reversing training, videos, info etc it always says turn left to bend right or something similar… I was amazed no one has ever told me the way I think it In my head because it seems so obvious to me.

When driving forward:
Push the top of the steering wheel right to go right … and left to go left. Obviously !

But
When driving backwards:
Push the BOTTOM of the steering wheel left to go left and right to go right.

Any one else think like this when they were learning?

Im no longer a newbie, but when reversing I dont “think”…

(3…2…1…)

Yeah of course, like anything, when you become proficient it’s automatic but when you are learning, I found this way made sense, but no one ever used it as a simple explanation. Maybe I’m just different.

Snowdoniatrucker:
Yeah of course, like anything, when you become proficient it’s automatic but when you are learning, I found this way made sense, but no one ever used it as a simple explanation. Maybe I’m just different.

We`ve all got different ways of figuring things out. If it works for you, its good. :smiley:
When I started on the bendies, I was told (when reversing and almost in position)
“Too close to the left, left hand down a little”. And then correct, of course.
That worked for me.

PS. I never said I was “proficient”!

Snowdoniatrucker:
So as per my intro I passed class 1 last week but I thought I’d share my thoughts on reversing sand see fit anyone else thinks like my brain does.

On any reversing training, videos, info etc it always says turn left to bend right or something similar… I was amazed no one has ever told me the way I think it In my head because it seems so obvious to me.

When driving forward:
Push the top of the steering wheel right to go right … and left to go left. Obviously !

But
When driving backwards:
Push the BOTTOM of the steering wheel left to go left and right to go right.

Any one else think like this when they were learning?

Yes…I’m still new.

This is probably going to argue with what you say, or maybe it agrees, but anyway it really helped me.
youtu.be/Cp-G_Iq5cDA

A very useful one in order to avoid the split second gap in having to think about it is that if you need to straighten up then steer into the side where you can see trailer.

Conversely, if you need to put more bend on, steer away from the side you can see trailer.

If you can, try to remember how much turn you have on at any time, although this is fairly difficult for a beginner. This way it is easier to straighten up the unit steering axle when you need to and it will avoid unnecessary corrections.

Another tip might be that if you go back with straight unit wheels and with a bend in the combination, the bend will increase. Sometimes that is all you need, so just make small adjustments as necessary from there, not big steering changes.

Hope this helps.

That’s a great video thanks!

And thanks for the extra tips. I definitely need to try to remember how much lock I’ve got on the wheels as I find I keep having to look down out the window!