Disheartening to be honest

Well decided to change jobs back to driving already had a class 2 and the last time I used it was over 13 years ago.

After I finished my last job I did my class 1 and ADR and so far no luck in a class 1 job.

I’ve registered with loads of agencies and nothing forthcoming, disappointed.

So a FB friend posted up a company was looking for a Class 2 driver to drive a road sweeper needed asap so hopefully I start Monday.

Im thinking that my class 1 is going to waste, down the bog and the more I don’t drive all that training lost.

Im my mind I might as well kept my money and went straight into Class 2 work.

Disappointed ain’t the word I can use and also every job I’ve applied for all say no experience so how can one get experienced without a job, crazy and all the talk about lack of HGV drivers I think is crap.

Regards all.

What area of UK are you in as others may have some suggestions :question: :bulb:

Willing to commute to Heathrow?

I understand your disappointment, but your Class 1 licence isn’t going to disappear through lack of use - think of it as another string to your bow.

Once you have your ‘foot in the door’ then I’m sure that, in time, other opportunities will arise. Best of luck with the new job. :smiley:

Thanks all and Heathrow way to far for me bud.

I understand your point, but your money is not waste. I got my class 1 licence in 1999 and sart working as a class 1 driver (part time) in covid time. So dont worry u will use it if 1 day u need it

It was hard to come in as a class 1 driver when u have no experience, but u just need to find a agency who has tesco/asda as a client.

If you’re willing to travel you should get something. I’m a new pass to class 1 and have been offered about 6 jobs on class 1 with the average commute about 14 miles. This is due to the fact i live in a poor area for haulage. DHL/Asda/Tesco/Maritime. Those are a few Nationwide companies I can think of that offered me a job.

Sattalk:
Well decided to change jobs back to driving already had a class 2 and the last time I used it was over 13 years ago.

After I finished my last job I did my class 1 and ADR and so far no luck in a class 1 job.

I’ve registered with loads of agencies and nothing forthcoming, disappointed.

So a FB friend posted up a company was looking for a Class 2 driver to drive a road sweeper needed asap so hopefully I start Monday.

Im thinking that my class 1 is going to waste, down the bog and the more I don’t drive all that training lost.

Im my mind I might as well kept my money and went straight into Class 2 work.

Disappointed ain’t the word I can use and also every job I’ve applied for all say no experience so how can one get experienced without a job, crazy and all the talk about lack of HGV drivers I think is crap.

Regards all.

Believe me, you will be disheartened after driving a road sweeper for a couple of weeks its boring as anything, i did it for 4 weeks, but on the bright side you will be working whilst you look out for another job. I had been away from driving for a similar amount of time as you and no one would touch me apart from the road sweeper job, i managed to get a class 2 job after a month there, then i paid for my class one after 2 years and started class 1 with same company when one of the drivers left, and then i left for a better job when i had some class 1 experience behind me.
You have been away that long most companies treat you like a new pass, you just have to work your way up, the openings will come.

Insurance can play a part and one of the more bizarre aspects is that holding the licence category for a year sometimes results in being acceptable to an insurance company, even though the driver may not have driven at all in the year since passing.

Not sure what area your in but ….

I passed my c + e in April only did my mod 4 the 19th of may …

Didn’t bother looking into any jobs till 24th of may

Applied for jobs on Tuesday night 2 interviews for Wednesday,

Job in the bag by end of Wednesday.

I’m not sure where in the country you are but I’ve literally been hounded from every job I’ve applied for , my cv was a one letter typed up in apple notes with nothing relevant to driving on it .

Also have 3 points

There’s abundance of work where I am (West Midlands)

Best of luck with your job hunt and nothing is wasted . No point in being disappointed. Chin up and get stuck in.

South Wales bud, not new to driving I have held a class 2 for over 16 years but only past my class 1 last October 21.

Bull, Downton, Gerry Jones, Tesco all companies around our place that are known for talking on newbies.
Also the place I work, Jaga Bros.
In particular, our place are always after trampers.
Good luck

Try Tesco Magor (Staffline agency). I passed Class 1 in January after no class 2 experience and I was working for them by the end of February.