Few tips that helped me pass C+E

These are just a few tips and takeaways on what worked for me personally for certain parts of the C+E, if they help at least one person reading this topic then I’ve done my bit.

DECOUPLE - The school I went to uses an acronym to help remember the order: B.L.A.C.K.
(B)rake, always check the trailer brake is ON. (L)egs, wind the trailer legs down. (A)irlines, I disconnect the airlines from right to left. (C)lip, undo the clip that secures the kingpin underneath. (K)ingpin, pull it out fully.
After decoupling + trailer check + recouple, then just work the BLACK acronym backwards: Kingpin (check it’s secure). Clip, secure the kingpin. Airlines, reconnect them. Legs, wind them back up. Brake, ensure trailer brake is now OFF.
There are extra bits in between of course but this is mainly about the method I used to help remember certain things in order.

REVERSING - The first 2 days of reversing I was almost abysmal, out of probably 30 reverses over 2 days I must have gotten in the box just 5 times. Then for some unknown reason something clicked on day 3 and 4 where I somehow became really good and placed it in the box every time, very rarely needing to shunt forwards. On test day I did an “inch perfect” manoeuvre (according to my instructor) without needing to shunt forwards at all. I believe this was down to an acronym I made up for myself: STEER - CATCH - STRAIGHTEN
Firstly, before I even move backwards I do ONE full lock to the right then reverse, then when my front offside tractor unit tyre is almost touching the offside perimeter line, I would then stop the truck and then do TWO full lock turns to the left and continue moving back. (In training I was actually taught to use a sticker/sign on the front of the trailer as a reference in my mirror but I’m using the tyre as a ref because it’s easier to describe). Then when I see my trailer start steering in the general direction of the box, I turn my steering wheel a little to the left when I pass the B cone to aim it more towards the box.
This is where the STEER - CATCH - STRAIGHTEN comes in, at this point I will only do small adjustments at a slow reversing speed; if I want to turn in towards the box more I STEER the wheel a little to the left…trailer moves back a few feet…then I CATCH it up by turning my steering wheel a number of times to the right until I see my trailer almost STRAIGHTEN in my offside mirror. If I don’t CATCH it up quickly enough it will steer too much. I also don’t want my trailer to disappear from my offside mirror if I straighten up too much, always keep it visible. Eventually I will only need tiny adjustments with the steering wheel when the trailer is aligned within the box.

FINAL DRIVE - Remember to learn how to use a tacograph machine. The examiner asked me how to use it and I couldn’t explain it and it went down as a minor. You are only allowed 12 minors during your drive, one more and they become a ‘SERIOUS’…which obviously becomes a test fail. Also remember what you learned on your initial CPC, some of which you will be asked to demonstrate before your drive. One popular question relates to your LOAD: where to distribute it within/secure it depending on material, check weight paperwork, secure doors etc.

really helpful, thanks for taking the time :slight_smile:

dmcgilvray146:
really helpful, thanks for taking the time :slight_smile:

My pleasure