Training to become an HGV driver whilst working elsewhere?

Is it realistic to work in another job whilst you train to become an HGV driver or are you better handing in your notice first and “going for it”?

ConvoyKid:
Is it realistic to work in another job whilst you train to become an HGV driver or are you better handing in your notice first and “going for it”?

Lots do that

If for some reason you are unable to pass the tests and you give up your current job then you end up with nothing

Training while you keep your regular job is the only sensible way to go in my opinion, if you’ve got a job that pays the bills ec’t i think you’d be a fool to give it up before getting your HGV licence.

In fact a lot of new drivers continue with their usual jobs while getting some experience as a HGV driver through agencies, you’ll find plenty of new drivers on this board who occasionally drive HGVs at weekends to gain some experience before giving up a regular income.

Do the training while you are still at your current job, and use your holidays.

Thats what I did.

Send your license off 1st for your hgv provisional.

Some companies give you a trial drive so they can advise you on how many lessons you may require. Make sure you do some research and look on here for the training companies as Google will most likely show you brokers 1st.

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

Why on earth would you jack in an existing job while you do your HGV training? The training takes a matter of a few days and can easily be fitted in around full-time employment.

ConvoyKid:

As others have said, it’s definitely worth staying where you are whilst you train, and probably best for a while after you pass just in case it isn’t for you.

I worked a van job on weekends to save for Class 1 and Class 2 training, whilst working full time in the week in a non-driving job. On passing Class 2 I started looking for weekend work with no success. I then passed Class 1 in January and managed to get supermarket agency work within a few weeks of passing. I now do that every few weeks to build experience and do enjoy it, but am still in my non-driving job full time. It suits me best at the moment as I have a young baby so the set start/finish times of my full-time job make things a lot easier.

So yes, definitely stay in your job until you have passed all the tests you want to pass, and have a job lined up that you are confident is right for you.

Stay in your job.
Just because you’ve got a test booked, there is no guarantee that you will pass, and even if you do there’s no guarantee that you will find a job straight away.
Once you’ve got your licence then you can start looking for work, hopefully find something full-time and permanent, otherwise you can pick up agency work and see if you can get enough of that to justify leaving your job at that time, but don’t leave a job without something else lined up to replace it

Sent from my SM-F711B using Tapatalk

Stay in your job and just book a weeks holiday. It doesn’t make sense to pack in your job to do it. I now get paid in my current job whilst i’m job searching with my new shiny class 1 license.

Cheers for the input guys. I understand it’s preferable to keep working at your old job until you get your HGV license, I just wasn’t sure whether the course demanded 100% of your time, focus & attention. Using your holidays sounds like a plan. I think Hayley that does the Youtube videos about gaining your Class 1 gave up her teaching job and qualified over the school holidays.