My experience of using a broker

Most of you will know that using a broker is a bad idea. That doesn’t stop people using them though. This may help educate and warn someone else.

Bear in mind that at the beginning of all this I had no experience of any aspect of the haulage/logistics industry and had no contacts to guide me in the right direction. All I had was Google. I’ll say at this point that I have passed my Class 2 after signing up with them.

In October 2021 I started by searching for training schools, and decided to just give them a ring to ask about the process. Honestly, most were next to useless. One receptionist sounded very distracted and talked like it was her first day on the job. Another just bluntly said “Get your theory done and call us back”. Remember that at this point I didn’t know much about the CPC requirements and so just went away none the wiser.

I spent a LONG time on the internet trying find out what I needed to do. I had even seen people saying not to use brokers. I eventually came across the broker sites that tell you they’ll sort everything out, help you with your CV and even help arrange work at the end. After feeling pretty fed up trawling the internet, out of sheer frustration I took the bait.

When I rang them the guy was super helpful and was able to answer all my questions. “We will do everything” he said. They also said the wait times for booking tests through them would be much shorter than if I tried to book myself. I can’t understate the feeling of relief it gave me, this is a big part of how I ended up going with them. I didn’t agree straight away though, I thought I’d check out their trustpilot reviews. Loads of 5 star reviews, 4.5 stars on average seemed pretty safe. After mulling it over and deciding that they can’t be a pure scam and maybe it will cost me a bit more, that it would be the best way to at least get the process started. I rang them a few times and each time they answered quickly and were helpful.

So I pay them the £3300 for the fast track Class 1 course. Gulp.

So stage 1 was modules 1 and 2. They sent me a login to use their training software where you can learn all the theory and do practice tests etc. Honestly that software looked like it was from the 1970’s and I’m sure some of it was well out of date. There’s no way they spend any money maintaining it or updating it. For how much I’d just paid them I was pretty stunned at how shonky it was.

I spent a week going through all the theory and when I started to think I was nearly ready I rang them to tell them they could book me in.

No answer.

I tried 4 or 5 times and it actually went to voicemail, no queue, a voicemail. Tried emailing them, no reply.

It was then that it occurred to me, that the way they had answered the phone had been a bit weird. The first thing you hear is “Training or recruitment?” Not even a hello. Then they soon get a few details. It was then I realised that of course they know who’s ringing them. Which means they know who’s paid them the money.

I ring him once from a witheld number and bingo, he answers. I was pretty ■■■■ appalled by this, but I kept cool as I didn’t want to end up having to try and get my money back out of them if I didn’t really have to. He says he’ll arrange the theory test and I’ll hear from a different department about it. After a week of silence I ring him again (private number of course) and ask what’s happening, he’s apologetic and says he’ll get onto it. I get an email from someone else saying they will be in touch with available dates. I think it was another week and some dates for mod 1 and 2 came through.

From this point on, they did nothing that I couldn’t have done myself. The only only thing they did that was worth anything was the theory software that despite being out of date, did get me through the tests. Other than that they just booked me in with a training centre for mod 4 and then mod 3 Cat C training and test. I have no idea if they were able to book my training earlier than if I had done it. From starting in October I did mod 4 in February and mod 3 at the end of April.

If I hadn’t thought to ring from a witheld number I’m pretty sure they would have left me hanging there forever. I went back and checked the negative reviews on trustpilot out of curiosity and nearly all of them said something like “Once they have your money you hear nothing”. There were also people saying that they offer entry into a draw for a bottle of champagne if you leave a 5 star review. Wow.

I’ve passed my Cat C and am now still waiting to hear from them for a date to do my CE.

With hindsight, not worth it at all.

Steve

Name and shame them smog, just in case it can help someone else.

I might hold off naming them as I’m still using them until I’ve done my CE. But if anyone wants to know they can pm me.

Hate hearing story like this but you should always research I’m looking to get my motorbike license I’m not going blindly click the first Google link

But glad the broker didn’t totally scam you and you are getting some service expected them to just leave you in the shadows

Hate hearing story like this but you should always research I’m looking to get my motorbike license I’m not going blindly click the first Google link

Sound advice. Depending on where you live, I might be able to point you in the right direction. pm me if you wish.

Pete S :laughing: :laughing: