Tacho advice for training

So I’ve got 3 days of forklift training ( Thursday Friday and Tuesday, I’m off Saturday Sunday and Monday.) I won’t be doing any driving duties but the wagon is parked in yard and I will have access to it , so my question is how best to log my time?

A. Seen as I have access to tacho just put it in set to other work and eject it and end of each day.

B . Do it all as a manual entry when I am back driving on Wednesday.

C. Don’t bother to log any of it.

Largeperm:
So I’ve got 3 days of forklift training ( Thursday Friday and Tuesday, I’m off Saturday Sunday and Monday.) I won’t be doing any driving duties but the wagon is parked in yard and I will have access to it , so my question is how best to log my time?

A. Seen as I have access to tacho just put it in set to other work and eject it and end of each day.

B . Do it all as a manual entry when I am back driving on Wednesday.

C. Don’t bother to log any of it.

Not your lorry if you are not driving it
Assume another driver is using it at that time = same as above

Is the training as part of your normal work or are you doing it as a private thing :question:

It’s through work, done on site at their cost. Sorry I should of been clearer they only have the 1 lorry and 1 driver… me .

Legally you don’t need to record the training days on the tachograph, if you choose you can keep a record of the hours worked on the training days in a notebook/diary and the next time you use your driver card book the time between the end of the last driving shift to the start of the next driving shift with the ? symbol.

For the training days you will need to keep a record of any breaks you have as the hours will count as working time for the working time regulations.

If you do choose to record the training hours on your driver card/tachograph don’t forget to put it out of scope.

Why the need to set the tachograph “Out of Scope”? There is no movement of the vehicle so no “out of scope” driving to record. All that is being recorded is Work and any Break or Rest periods.

My thinking was that if the OP sets the tachograph to out of scope he won’t need to bother if he forgets to record the breaks, but on reflection you’re probably right :slight_smile:

The training days cannot count as rest days

When you next drive, you’ll need a record of prev 28 days activity, so when you return to the veh, make suitable manual entries, remembering, as above, that training is not a rest period.

It is the start and finish times that are important. This is because they establish that you have had appropriate daily and weekly rest for the purposes of when you are driving.

There is no legal requirement to enter the days on the tachograph unit. Your employer is aware of what days you worked and your start and finish times, so one would think that the operator should be capable of entering these times on the chosen analysis software.

You should cover yourself by having a note of the start and finish times and doing this on the back of digital tachograph paper will mean you are without doubt entirely legal, but a diary is generally accepted to be okay.

Occasionally you may get an operator insisting on manual entries. It is really up to the individual if he/she wishes to argue the toss over this or just comply.

The issue with simply sticking the card in and recording “Other Work” each day is that unless you remember to pop back to the truck every lunchtime and switch to Break you’ll get a WTD infringement. You’ll also need to pop back again at the end of your Break to switch back to Work (although you won’t generate an infringement if you forget, but will instead be making a false entry, albeit unintentionally…)

The issue with doing manual input onto the card for a three day training course (including Breaks during each day) with a Weekly Rest in the middle of it is that it’s a right faff and, pound to a pinch of snuff, you’ll make a mistake somewhere along the line and inadvertently generate another infringement or two.

Far, far easier to simply do a handwritten record (on the back of a length of tacho roll, showing your details, driver number etc and SIGNED by you). Keep it with you for the next 28 days then hand it in to your employer (or cheat, and do two copies - give one to your employer and keep the other one with you for 28 days then bin it).

Roymondo:
The issue with simply sticking the card in and recording “Other Work” each day is that unless you remember to pop back to the truck every lunchtime and switch to Break you’ll get a WTD infringement. You’ll also need to pop back again at the end of your Break to switch back to Work (although you won’t generate an infringement if you forget, but will instead be making a false entry, albeit unintentionally…)

The issue with doing manual input onto the card for a three day training course (including Breaks during each day) with a Weekly Rest in the middle of it is that it’s a right faff and, pound to a pinch of snuff, you’ll make a mistake somewhere along the line and inadvertently generate another infringement or two.

Far, far easier to simply do a handwritten record (on the back of a length of tacho roll, showing your details, driver number etc and SIGNED by you). Keep it with you for the next 28 days then hand it in to your employer (or cheat, and do two copies - give one to your employer and keep the other one with you for 28 days then bin it).

This is what I would do. Don’t forget to do a manual entry on the tacho for the end of your last shift and the beginning of your next (if required).

Road2ruin:
This is what I would do. Don’t forget to do a manual entry on the tacho for the end of your last shift and the beginning of your next (if required).

… And make sure that the entire period, training days and weekend Rest, is shown as “?” in your manual entry - signifying that it is recorded elsewhere (ie on paper records).

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk