Is it easy to get employment when a Newly qualified C+E

I am wondering how hard it is to get started, you hear of driver shortages then see posts where people have taken ages to get work after passing due to employers wanting experienced drivers.

Is it a case of getting experience by working for agencies to start with?

What is the industry like for hiring practices, are there proper contracts with stated hours etc as opposed to zero hour contracts.

What about pay, has it increased.

If there is a shortage what’s the cause, low pay, unsociable hours, cost of getting the licence.

Thanks

Dazzybee:
I am wondering how hard it is to get started, you hear of driver shortages then see posts where people have taken ages to get work after passing due to employers wanting experienced drivers.
There is plenty of work out there but as a new driver with zero experience you have to accept that you cannot be too fussy about what you do to begin with.

Is it a case of getting experience by working for agencies to start with?
If no other choice agency work is better than nothing. Lots of variety but expect to get dropped in it at the deep end. If you lack confidence and are looking for some hand holding probably not the best route.

What is the industry like for hiring practices, are there proper contracts with stated hours etc as opposed to zero hour contracts.
I’ve had not issues with this.

What about pay, has it increased.
Pay has not really been a consideration for me, once I have 12 months experience I will worry about it more. From what I’ve seen agency pays best but is not consistent (in theory) Trampers, night drivers, day drivers in that order, I would say about £5 difference between agency and day drivers. However even on a low hourly rate if your slave master is working you 70 hours a week the weekly pay is quite good.

If there is a shortage what’s the cause, low pay, unsociable hours, cost of getting the licence.

From my limited experience as a new driver.
1, Every company seems intent on getting you to tramp. I’ve refused twice and been offered an alternative, benefit of the driver shortage I guess (also being in the financial position to refuse their first offer).
2, Every company seems intent on working you as many hours as is legally possible. While you can only drive 9/10 hours a day you can also sit on a loading bay waiting for that ■■■■ green light for another 5/6 hours :open_mouth:

Thanks

I guess it will be depend a lot on where you live. I’m on the Norfolk coast, bit of a dead end with no big RDC’s or distribution hubs. This is my personal experience over the past 6 months.

I did 3 weeks 7.5t work with agency while waiting for my Class 2 training/test.

On my first day doing Class 2 work with agency (day after passing test) I was offered a permanent position by the company the agency put me with working lates/nights. I agreed to work for them until I passed my class 1.

On the day of passing my Class 1 test I approached a new driver friendly refrigerated transport company. They wanted me to tramp, I refused but offered to work nights instead. Ended up doing night trunk runs 5 nights a week. Couldn’t have asked for a easier introduction for Class 1 driving, dropping a pre-loaded trailer to a site 3-4 hours away and bringing back an empty one. Obvious downside was working nights and having to commute 45 mins to work each night.

After 2 months of night work, I spotted a local company advertising for day drivers 5mins from my house. Gave them a call, obviously they tried to get me to tramp, I refused, and they offered Mon-Fri day work instead (refrigerated deliveries). I plan to stay here for 3-6 months by which time I will have completed my ADR and have 12 months driving experience which will hopefully lead to a tanker driving role in Autumn/Winter. Probably end up tramping (unless i get lucky again) but the pay should make it worthwhile.

I walked into a class 1 job as soon as I passed my test. A friend already worked at the company and had been prepping the owners for a while.
I’m still there. Will be 2 years on Aug 3rd.
Love the job, the pay is good and they’re great people to work for.
It can be done, in my case it was a case of who you know.
They have taken a few new passes on while I’ve been there and some have worked out and some haven’t.
They seem happy to give people a shot though.
Good luck.

I’m finding it pretty difficult in Glasgow at the moment, hoping for some good news this week, but plenty of knockbacks and I’ve surprised that some of the earnings are as low as £11ph.
I will admit that I don’t want to do tramping

Probably luck of the draw I’d say.

A few years back I was working Class 2 on agency, I passed my Class 1 and got straight in touch with them. “Congratulations,” they said, “but we won’t be able to get you any work until you’ve got two years experience.” Didn’t matter at all that I had 15 years experience on class 2, nor the proven track record with them for the previous six-months. Of course this was before the media-advertised driver shortage, so it could all be very different now.

I’m finding it impossible and it’s really getting me down, all I get is “we don’t take on new drivers” I’ve had an assessment and an interview, failed the assessment on the reverse and didn’t get any further than a 10 minute chat with Tuffnells who I’m told are desperate for drivers and will take on anyone. :unamused:

I have a full time job as a sales rep already so don’t want to quit that for unreliable agency hours so how can I get experience?!

I’m beginning to feel like I’ve been sold a lie and there isn’t this “driver shortage”.

chriswvtr:
:

I have a full time job as a sales rep already so don’t want to quit that for unreliable agency hours so how can I get experience?!
”.

One day per fortnight on the weekend?

stu675:

chriswvtr:
:

”.

Yeah, it’s looking like that’s the only way, I spoke to an agency on Thursday and he said he might have one company willing to give me some weekend work so I signed up for some for this weekend and haven’t heard anything. :unamused:

Whereabouts in the country are you?

Goff118:

Me or the OP?

I live right next to junction 36 of the M1 in Barnsley. I am a stones throw away from Sheffield, not far from Rotherham, Doncaster and Wakefield. I thought I would be prime location for plenty of opportunities.

chriswvtr:

Goff118:

Me or the OP?

I live right next to junction 36 of the M1 in Barnsley. I am a stones throw away from Sheffield, not far from Rotherham, Doncaster and Wakefield. I thought I would be prime location for plenty of opportunities.

OP sorry. Should be plenty going on up there.

Finding Class 2 work is driving me insane!!!

I’ve now had several companies say “sorry but we need to see the piece of plastic”. The whole of DVLA need to be fired and a new bunch hired to get things moving! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Their “industrial action” is now costing me work. If they think they have any sympathy from me they can think again. Bunch of freeloaders!

I can’t do Class 1 training, either, because even if I did the training I can’t do the test without the “piece of plastic”!

That said, some companies seem amicable to the situation and I hopefully have my first driving assessment imminently, so let’s see what happens! I hope to get it - will be great work!

chriswvtr:
I’m finding it impossible and it’s really getting me down, all I get is “we don’t take on new drivers” I’ve had an assessment and an interview, failed the assessment on the reverse and didn’t get any further than a 10 minute chat with Tuffnells who I’m told are desperate for drivers and will take on anyone. :unamused:

I’m beginning to feel like I’ve been sold a lie and there isn’t this “driver shortage”.

If you don’t mind long hours try Stobart or WS they do 6am -6pm or 6pm-6am and they put you through their driving school. If you want shorter hours then try DHL or Asda they take on new passes and put you through their driving school. I’m in your position and these places have all offered me jobs but the hours don’t quite suit me as I need 3pm starts. I am waiting on Asda to see if they can get me on the late rota.

chriswvtr:

stu675:

chriswvtr:
:

”.

Yeah, it’s looking like that’s the only way, I spoke to an agency on Thursday and he said he might have one company willing to give me some weekend work so I signed up for some for this weekend and haven’t heard anything. :unamused:

Just keep at them, if you don’t, they’ll forget about you.
At least in 6 months time you’ll have 6 months experience and in a year, you can say you have a year’s experience [emoji6]

MeatCannon:

chriswvtr:

If you don’t mind long hours try Stobart or WS they do 6am -6pm or 6pm-6am and they put you through their driving school. If you want shorter hours then try DHL or Asda they take on new passes and put you through their driving school. I’m in your position and these places have all offered me jobs but the hours don’t quite suit me as I need 3pm starts. I am waiting on Asda to see if they can get me on the late rota.

I’ve seen loads on here slating Stobart so I think I’ll give them a miss, I applied for a job through Staffline, turns out it’s DHL they texted me today to say they’ll book me in for an assessment next week, but that was it, no details no times. So fingers crossed, it’s 11:30pm starts though Mon-Fri which is not ideal but at the moment I’ll take it and then look for better shifts if I get it.