so confusing

Hello all, wannabe here. Done my theory and case studies and I’ve got my 3a and 3b tests booked for July. I just have a question about the CPC.

Do I need to do 35 hours of training now or am I covered with the initial CPC and just need to do the 35 hours within the next five years?

dmcgilvray146:
Hello all, wannabe here. Done my theory and case studies and I’ve got my 3a and 3b tests booked for July. I just have a question about the CPC.

Do I need to do 35 hours of training now or am I covered with the initial CPC and just need to do the 35 hours within the next five years?

car licence after 1997 = pass mods 2+4 then need 35 hours within the next 5 years
car licence before 1997 = no mods 2+4 and just need 35 hours now then 35 within next 5 years

Thanks for responding, that’s cleared it up. So I got my car licence in 1993 therefore I just need to do 35 hours and not modules 2 or 4.

I see some online providers doing the 35 hours cheap, does it matter which cpc courses I do at this stage? Any specific ones that you’d recommend? And can I do it now even though I won’t be doing my test until July (unless I can find a cancellation somewhere)?

No it doesn’t matter which courses you do as they will all count for your Drivers Qualification Card. But obviously you should choose ones that will be most beneficial to you personally. Number 1 would be drivers hours, I think that would include teaching you to use a tacho (which is essential if it’s available separately■■?)
Loading/securing a load would also be advisable.
As to when to do it, yes you can do it now, but once you finish the last one and apply for your card your 5 year life will start counting down. So depends if you choose individual day or split day courses (which you could spread out til July) or a week’s intensive course, which might be cheaper? or just to get it out of the way.
If you’re not going to use it before July (you could start work on 7.5T lorries) then I would recommend waiting so you don’t forget it all.

ROG:

dmcgilvray146:

car licence after 1997 = pass mods 2+4 then need 35 hours within the next 5 years
car licence before 1997 = no mods 2+4 and just need 35 hours now then 35 within next 5 years

If you have NEVER held a CPC qualification before then you can complete Modules 2 & 4 to attain your first CPC card, irrespective of when you passed your car test. Therefore, you have the option of either Periodic Training (35hrs) or Modules 2&4.

Periodic Training (35hrs) would be more beneficial in terms of knowledge providing you select a good training provider with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Pick a bad one and you could become bored and disinterested.

Modules 2 & 4 is less time consuming (1hr Mod2 theory test + 1 day Mod4 with training provider) and may be easier to slot in alongside your driver training.

The choice is yours - why not call up your chosen provider and discuss with them?

BishBashBosh:

ROG:

dmcgilvray146:

If you have NEVER held a CPC qualification before then you can complete Modules 2 & 4 to attain your first CPC card, irrespective of when you passed your car test. Therefore, you have the option of either Periodic Training (35hrs) or Modules 2&4.

Periodic Training (35hrs) would be more beneficial in terms of knowledge providing you select a good training provider with a wealth of knowledge and experience. Pick a bad one and you could become bored and disinterested.

Modules 2 & 4 is less time consuming (1hr Mod2 theory test + 1 day Mod4 with training provider) and may be easier to slot in alongside your driver training.

The choice is yours - why not call up your chosen provider and discuss with them?

I think that is all true.
However Mods 2 & 4 require tests, which the periodic training doesn`t. Yes, a competent driver should have no worries, but some people are nervous around tests.
I would certainly agree that having a talk with a training provider is a good idea.

Thank you both so much for responding, but now I’m even more confused. I’ve never held CPC qualification so I can do Mods 2 and 4 instead of the 35 hours. I’m only interested because I did the Mod 2 already (by mistake thinking I had to do it whatever lol). If that’s the case I’ll just do the Mod 4 and have it done with I think. And I’ll just do 7.5Ts until the summer. I’ll talk to my training provider, thanks again :slight_smile: